Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > What have you done lately for Preps?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2013, 11:54 AM   #501
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 135 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 38

I have my own now but the last time I rented one the shop told me they don't bother to sharpen them, just replace the chain! I found this out when I brought it back and told them I dulled it terribly!

Old 03-28-2013, 04:55 AM   #502
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 7834 Times on 4523 Posts
Likes Given: 10088

I have hand sharpened my chains since I was a kid. Chains last 4x longer and I get a much better edge with a file than a grinder can make. I can also sharpen a chain on a 20 inch bar about as quickly as most people can change the chain. Maybe a little slower. But if you add in all of the time to constantly change chains and then sharpen those chains on your grinder I end up way ahead in the game at the end of the day.

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.
CA357 Likes This 
Old 03-29-2013, 08:35 PM   #503

Liked 201 Times on 138 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad
I have hand sharpened my chains since I was a kid. Chains last 4x longer and I get a much better edge with a file than a grinder can make. I can also sharpen a chain on a 20 inch bar about as quickly as most people can change the chain. Maybe a little slower. But if you add in all of the time to constantly change chains and then sharpen those chains on your grinder I end up way ahead in the game at the end of the day.
As does my fil. He used to take it to a local guy who owns a mom and pop hardware store and sharpens chains. Till the guy dulled the chain to bad to be used again. He has no idea what a dull chain and a sharp chain looks like. You can take a brand new chain out of the package and give it to him to sharpen and he'll say, "Damn you been cuttin t-posts with this!"

Century Arms AR-15A2, 5.56
1946 Mosin-Nagant M44, 7.62x54R
1978 YUGO SKS, 7.62x39
NEF Protector Pump, 12 gauge
Savage Model 64, .22LR
NEF Pardner Tracker II, 12 gauge
Rock Island Armory 1911A1, .45 ACP
Remington 870 'Express Magnum' 12 gauge
Bersa Thunder .380

Old 03-29-2013, 10:26 PM   #504

I spent $83.83 on 40 lbs. of Idahoan and Hungry Jack Instant Mashed Potatoes. $2.12/lb. I'm sure better shoppers could do better, especially in bulk and better sales -- this was from three different supermarkets I was passing. There'll be more tomorrow I think as well as some instant milk and butter-flavored Crisco from two or three others I'll be driving past early.

FTI, it's going into mylar bags. I'm not paying $56 for 9-lbs. of freeze-dried flakes regardless of a #10 can!

http://store.honeyvillegrain.com/instantpotatoflakescase.aspx

Old 03-30-2013, 01:09 AM   #505

Liked 13 Times on 8 Posts

Over here in Michigan we are preparing for an economic collapse, and ya know maybe Zombies .....if we're lucky!! My husband is preparing the guns and reloading bullets and I am preparing some food. We started about two months ago and this the food food I have collected, and this is only hitting the sales.

image-248384758.jpg

Old 03-30-2013, 01:13 PM   #506

Dinner at KitKats everyone!!!

Move the bottom shelf up a BIT eventually and you can slide some low, flat, case of something under the thing and probably get more on the unit. Tuna in oil, Spam Lite, etc. Talk with and read some experts about what are the best things to collect for food. Calories per volume and weight rule. Balanced nutrition is important too. I do not subscribe to the "buy what you eat, eat what you buy" concept for extended timeframe preparation.

Old 03-30-2013, 04:40 PM   #507

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattShlock View Post
I spent $83.83 on 40 lbs. of Idahoan and Hungry Jack Instant Mashed Potatoes. $2.12/lb. I'm sure better shoppers could do better, especially in bulk and better sales -- this was from three different supermarkets I was passing. There'll be more tomorrow...
Got another 19 lbs. Total average price fell a whole penny to $2.11/lb. LOL

Last edited by MattShlock; 03-30-2013 at 04:45 PM.

Old 04-01-2013, 03:48 AM   #508
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 1278 Times on 668 Posts
Likes Given: 592

Was in Home Depot and just had to get some "fuel Getters" for camping and the wood stove. Those little hatchets are fairly light and really well balanced for me and the leather handle feels really natural. They'll also fit in the BOB nicely with little weight and help if it goes beyond the expected three days. The other picture is the longer camp axe for bigger logs (fits nicely under a car seat), a 36" breaker bar for tearing down wood from construction sites that is nailed together (also fits under seat) - great for recycling wood that everyone else is filling landfills with, and a...uh...potato masher, yeah that's it...that I rescued from my storage shed. Well, we won't have the electric mixer to mash potatoes when the SHTF!! :-P

Oh, BTW, the handle, head and tang on all of the axes is one solid piece of steel - they're made by Estwing. No wooden handle to break or screws to come loose and won't break if you miss. KISS principal in action!

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

Last edited by TekGreg; 04-01-2013 at 03:58 AM.

Old 04-01-2013, 03:56 AM   #509

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by TekGreg View Post
...The other picture is the longer camp axe for bigger logs (fits nicely under a car seat), a 36" breaker bar for tearing down wood from construction sites that is nailed together (also fits under seat) - great for recycling wood that everyone else is filling landfills with, and a...uh...potato masher, yeah that's it...that I rescued from my storage shed. Well, we won't have the electric mixer to mash potatoes when the SHTF!! :-P

Sorry. That looks like an Estwing axe that's not a whole lot bigger than the hatchets and there's no way that's a 3-foot breaker bar and almost 4-foot mace. What gives!?

"Shenanigans!"

Old 04-01-2013, 04:27 AM   #510
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 1278 Times on 668 Posts
Likes Given: 592

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitkat89 View Post
Over here in Michigan we are preparing for an economic collapse, and ya know maybe Zombies .....if we're lucky!! My husband is preparing the guns and reloading bullets and I am preparing some food. We started about two months ago and this the food food I have collected, and this is only hitting the sales.

Attachment 93677
Kitkat,

Great start to hold out against the zombies! :-) Definitely keep hitting the sales, but also make a week-by-week menu for three months, then based on the menu, create an inventory list to fill while you shop. I was surprised how short I was on necessary foodstuffs and overstocked on others! I also found out that the food *I* had on the menu was not necessarily what everyone else was willing to eat, or at least not often! :-O

Another thing I had not thought of was trading with others. During recent hardships in Eastern Europe, toilet paper was trading for food and ammunition at a rate of $20+/roll. Candy also goes for far more than it's current value - think of getting large bags of M&M's and breaking them into smaller quantities in sandwich baggies...for $5-7/a baggie. Popcorn is a hot commodity as well. In hot climates, Lifesavers and Jolly Ranchers are good bets. The day after Halloween is the perfect time to pick up overstocked candy at any of the stores that sell it in bulk.

Prepping food, water and seeds is vitally important if a family/clan is going to have long-term survivability. Even during the recent Acts-of-God in the Southern and Eastern U.S., some people went a week or ten days with no fuel, water, electricity or food. The better the food stores during times like that will keep morale up and make a horrible situation almost bearable!

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)