What have you done lately for Preps? - Page 45
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > What have you done lately for Preps?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2013, 06:25 PM   #441
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I guess I've been prepped since '77. That's when I quit shaving.

Also bought some hacksaw blades and welding rods.

Old 01-31-2013, 06:47 PM   #442

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Been buying little extra things for yeas. Like a box of matches when I see them at Walmart(housewares near ashtrays and the like). Large containers I wrap in shrink wrap wit hthings liek 25 lb bags of dried beans, sugar. An extra bottle of vinegar to stack back once every couple weeks. As long as you get a little something when you are out at the stores you're doing someitnhg. Walmart is great for things like #10 cans on veggies, 25 lb bags of sugar and the like. We have a store (Save A Lot) that sells things like beans, flour, sugar etc in large containers that can be stored. Just fine one way or another to make sure water stays out. Can fruits and vegetables if you can. When stored properly they will last a LONG TIME. Don't stack jars on top of each other to make sure you don't bust seals. A sturdy box can help there.

It's the little things that will matter. Just pick put a little of this or that. One extra container of...something to put back. Plant a garden and learn to can food. A couple fruit trees come in handy. I want to get into smoking meats but I think I will try and build that. I need to learn more about fermented vegetables. The damn tings last forever (link) (link).

Being I have no intention of bugging anywhere as I live in the country as is and have more than one natural water supply, plenty of wooded area for hunting/fuel (springs) I just try to get things I might need should the need pop up Oh, and keep a decent supply of ammo

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

CA357 Likes This 
Old 02-01-2013, 03:38 PM   #443

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumJunkie
Been buying little extra things for yeas. Like a box of matches when I see them at Walmart(housewares near ashtrays and the like). Large containers I wrap in shrink wrap wit hthings liek 25 lb bags of dried beans, sugar. An extra bottle of vinegar to stack back once every couple weeks. As long as you get a little something when you are out at the stores you're doing someitnhg. Walmart is great for things like #10 cans on veggies, 25 lb bags of sugar and the like. We have a store (Save A Lot) that sells things like beans, flour, sugar etc in large containers that can be stored. Just fine one way or another to make sure water stays out. Can fruits and vegetables if you can. When stored properly they will last a LONG TIME. Don't stack jars on top of each other to make sure you don't bust seals. A sturdy box can help there.

It's the little things that will matter. Just pick put a little of this or that. One extra container of...something to put back. Plant a garden and learn to can food. A couple fruit trees come in handy. I want to get into smoking meats but I think I will try and build that. I need to learn more about fermented vegetables. The damn tings last forever (link) (link).

Being I have no intention of bugging anywhere as I live in the country as is and have more than one natural water supply, plenty of wooded area for hunting/fuel (springs) I just try to get things I might need should the need pop up Oh, and keep a decent supply of ammo
Agree with you 100%. Just keep on getting what you can while you can, all the little things add up.

Old 02-01-2013, 08:04 PM   #444
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8283 Times on 4787 Posts
Likes Given: 10716

Got some scion wood from my favorite chestnut tree today. Getting ready to do some grafting later to some young trees I planted 3 years ago.

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.
CA357 Likes This 
Old 02-01-2013, 09:02 PM   #445
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1246 Times on 806 Posts
Likes Given: 2521

I learned first hand what it feels like to cauterize a wound today (very minor wound).

It hurts just as much as you would think it would.

Old 02-13-2013, 02:06 PM   #446

Liked 57 Times on 38 Posts

Hey guys this is my first post on this forum

I recently started to notice that SH!T might actually hit the fan in the next few years... So me being a US Marine I started preping last month.

Currently I have

Weapons:
Remington 700 sps tactical .308
S&W M&P OR AR15 .223
Mossberg 500 pistol grip 12 gauge
Glock 23 .40S&W
Glock 33 .357Sig
Glock 30sf .45auto
Sig mosquito .22LR
Ammo for all

Food:
So far just 1 box of MRE's

Emergency supplies:
Full medical life saving kit
2 wool blankets
2 one man tents
2 flashlights
1 canteen
Water purification tablets
All weather proof matches
3 fixed blade knives
5 bx Chem lights (who knows)
2 pr combat boots
2 ruck sacks
1 multi tool
1 bullet proof vest. Mag pouches attached

1 large water proof case to fit it in

It's not close to everything but it's a start. I wanted to hear what y'all think. Planning on getting water, batteries, candles, flint and para cord and bug repellent soon

Semper Fi
BigRed

Old 02-13-2013, 02:41 PM   #447

Liked 40 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedUSMC View Post
Hey guys this is my first post on this forum

I recently started to notice that SH!T might actually hit the fan in the next few years... So me being a US Marine I started preping last month.

Currently I have

Weapons:
Remington 700 sps tactical .308
S&W M&P OR AR15 .223
Mossberg 500 pistol grip 12 gauge
Glock 23 .40S&W
Glock 33 .357Sig
Glock 30sf .45auto
Sig mosquito .22LR
Ammo for all

Food:
So far just 1 box of MRE's

Emergency supplies:
Full medical life saving kit
2 wool blankets
2 one man tents
2 flashlights
1 canteen
Water purification tablets
All weather proof matches
3 fixed blade knives
5 bx Chem lights (who knows)
2 pr combat boots
2 ruck sacks
1 multi tool
1 bullet proof vest. Mag pouches attached

1 large water proof case to fit it in

It's not close to everything but it's a start. I wanted to hear what y'all think. Planning on getting water, batteries, candles, flint and para cord and bug repellent soon

Semper Fi
BigRed
Well first thank you for your service

And you doing better than I am I have little medical 1 mre I rifle just a .22lr and 22 shots for it and 3 knifes 1 staped to my bug out bag a pocketknife and servival knife

Old 02-13-2013, 02:50 PM   #448
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2812 Times on 1637 Posts
Likes Given: 1639

Unless you're in arid counrty or urban/suburban forget stocking water, stock plain unscented chlorine bleach - 1/8 teaspoon per gallon of H2O, allow to stand for 20 minutes. It ain't Evian but it is safe and potable.

Old 02-13-2013, 02:52 PM   #449

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Default Hi BigRed

First, thanks for your service and welcome to the forum. A great start for sure. It seems to depend a lot on where you live at the time the SHTF as to what the requirements would be. City dwellers need a different cache than us rural (very rural) dwellers.

I personally used the novel Partiots by James Wesley Rawles as my guide. It seemed to be as much an instruction book as a novel. It might help you understand ways to prep for your specific situation.

Living off-grid and loving it!

Old 02-13-2013, 02:59 PM   #450
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Big Red, welcome here and thank you for your service. I suggest you pick up several types of water filtration systems and then add to your food as you go. Katadyn makes a 5 gallon unit that is collapsible and there are straw type filters that are available as well. I know the Corps has taught you many survival skills, so look to your training.

I realize that if you're still on active duty it's going to be hard to store a bunch of stuff. Maybe you could rent a small storage unit or store stuff with family or friends nearby. Of course if you aren't than no problem.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams