What have you done lately for Preps? - Page 40
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > What have you done lately for Preps?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2011, 01:48 AM   #391
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 121 Times on 86 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordo323

Why not just find a woman pagj? Sorry I could not pass that one up!

Seriously though, I bought 8 more 1 lb. propane cylinders, Two more 7 gallon water containers, 25 packages of roll your own tobacco and papers, and 1,000 more .22 lr, and 250 ea. of 20 and 12 ga.

I need coffee though, maybe the freeze dried stuff is the way to go?
I have 50k rounds of 22lr, 100lbs of salt, an have buitl a water purification still thats all I need the land will provide the rest. My mother was full blood apache I have learned of many cures for aches an pains, as well as colds an flu

Old 12-01-2011, 01:55 AM   #392

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaLawman
Bought another 100lbs of rice, and another 100lbs of beans.

Went to Sam's Club in Gilbert AZ and bought 3 "30 day food supply" packs.

We are over the 2 year stored food mark now.

I also bought 2 more 55 gallon polymer water storage barrels.

2200 rounds more .22lr (550 round packs were on sale at the local Wally World for $9.62 or some silly oddball number like that). I am close to 20k rounds of 22lr now.
Hey just a thought to those stockin up on ammo I have been vaccum sealing all my ammo, just to see if it was gonna work I sealed 10 rounds placed the bag on a fork in my tree left it there for over a yr, rain, snow, hot ,cold ammo is perfect so just a thought guys

Old 12-01-2011, 01:56 AM   #393

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muliemaster

Hey just a thought to those stockin up on ammo I have been vaccum sealing all my ammo, just to see if it was gonna work I sealed 10 rounds placed the bag on a fork in my tree left it there for over a yr, rain, snow, hot ,cold ammo is perfect so just a thought guys
Ps I also keep it in ammo boxes after sealing it

Old 12-01-2011, 01:05 PM   #394

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

All my SHTF 223 and 308 is in sealed "battlepack" cans. My pistol ammo is in big 50 cal ammo cans with desicant packs. My reloaded ammo is is ziplock freezer bags with desicant inside 50 cal ammo cans. I have found this to be a VERY effective way to store it. All my rimfire ammo is repacked into ziplocks and stored in 308 ammo cans with desicant packs.

The thing I like about the milspec 223 is that it is already in stripper clips for ease of magazine loading. I have a metric ****load of loaded magazines for the AR's already...but you WILL need to load at some point!

One of the things I buy whenever I see them on smokin' deals are more AR and M1A magazines. Same with Glock magazines...I have a bunch still sealed in the factory bags and never loaded.

A guy here in town sold me 20 AR mags (20 and 30 rounders) still sealed in the wax paper for $5 each. I told him to call me if he ever ran across a deal like that again.

Old 12-01-2011, 04:20 PM   #395

Default 7 months

Based on my calculations on a 2000 calorie diet, my pantry will now last a good 7 months. Not including a years worth of dog food for the four legged crew. We have a Purina facility here in Denver and they will often give away stuff that is near the expiration date. I wouldn't feed Purina on a regular basis, but if the SHTF, it's nourishment, just like the rice and beans I'll be eating. I won't be as worried about a glossy coat after the apocalypse.

I've got a little over 8000 rounds covering 3 rifle and two pistol calibers, plus a couple hundred for the 12 gauge and a couple thousand .22 long rifle.

Had to buy a rifle in .308 so that put a damper on some of my prep work, but since it's a new rifle, I suppose it can be considered prep as well.

Old 12-01-2011, 04:25 PM   #396

Is rice a good prep item? It doent expire right?

Old 12-01-2011, 07:30 PM   #397

Liked 52 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon12312 View Post
Is rice a good prep item? It doent expire right?
Rice is a very good long term storage (LTS) food staple. Combined in the diet with beans you get a complete protein for good nutrition. It will store a very long time if protected from pests, air, moisture, excessive heat, and light. I store mine in 5 gal. buckets in mylar bags with O2 absorbers.
If you eat only rice you will suffer from malnutrition.

Join the NRA! Stop the Brady madness!

Old 12-01-2011, 08:20 PM   #398

Default Rice

I have canned food as well, but 1 cup of rice, boiled, has about 1600 calories. Throw in a handful of beans and you won't starve. Throw in some hot peppers and it's almost enjoyable.

As was noted above, beans and rice is a very nutritionally complete diet.

I read an account of 3000 year old rice found in a pyramid in Egypt still being edible so you don't even have to go to any extraordinary measures, at least here where it's nice and dry. If I were prepping for more than a year out, I'd probably vacuum seal everything but we average 20% humidity so things keep well in the basement where it's cool and dry.

Inventory:
AK-74
M1911-A1
CETME .308 Sporter
Sig SP2022
Ruger 10/22
Hi-Standard Duramatic M-101
H&R 1874 12 Guage
Mosin Nagant M91/30
K-98 Mauser
Ithaca M-66

“It's too easy sometimes to give in to despair, unless, of course, you’re talking about politics, in which case you don't really have any other option.” Mike Littwin

Old 12-02-2011, 02:08 AM   #399

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

So how do you go about sealing ammo in a plastic bag? One of those vacume sealers for food?
My .22 is a ML, but I'm thinking of the can of powder.

Old 12-02-2011, 02:10 AM   #400

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornbelt
So how do you go about sealing ammo in a plastic bag? One of those vacume sealers for food?
My .22 is a ML, but I'm thinking of the can of powder.
Yes in a vac seal bsg