What have you done lately for Preps? - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > What have you done lately for Preps?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2011, 04:16 PM   #31
bkt
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

I heard someone talking about making your own maple syrup on the radio yesterday. It was a face-palm moment: how the heck DIDN'T I think if this on my own long ago?

Anyway, spring is coming and I have at least a dozen big maples in the yard, so I'm off to get some taps and buckets.

Old 03-02-2011, 04:44 PM   #32

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkbarrel View Post
After reading through the list, I see water isn't popular?

I.

The question was what have we done lately. I always have food and water stored, as well as fuel / generator and emergency shelters.

The SO has had a bad feeling about a major earthquake here in So. Cal. I don't put much stock in her premonitions but I am going to do some extra bolting down and stocking up. It will make her feel better and can't hurt.

"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms like NASCAR drivers so we could identify their corporate sponsors."

Old 03-05-2011, 04:25 AM   #33

Liked 24 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 160

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkt View Post
I heard someone talking about making your own maple syrup on the radio yesterday. It was a face-palm moment: how the heck DIDN'T I think if this on my own long ago?

Anyway, spring is coming and I have at least a dozen big maples in the yard, so I'm off to get some taps and buckets.
I like the sound of that, it's been a while since I had access to maple tree syrup.

Old 03-07-2011, 03:40 PM   #34

Liked 52 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 59

I picked up some .308 ammo and 30 silver dollars this weekend at the gun show in Wichita. I got the coins for not much more than spot price, I'm happy. I need to do some research on a couple of them, they might have numismatic value being in great condition and having 1880's dates.

Old 03-12-2011, 12:42 AM   #35

Liked 10 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I bought a new pistol and shotgun, (Beretta 92fs Inox, Remington 870 express) with a meagre supply of ammo. But sold a bunch of silver bullion to finance it.

If anyone has read the survival forum post "silver" you will see my post on selling bullion ot buy goods. I leave it up to others to make thier choices, but I'm cashing in the bullion to buy functional goods atm. Just to max my silver's profit potential.

I also got a 24 hour pack, but that's out budget. I'm planning a 72hr pack next, or a set of pack boots. Never underestimate the power of boots! Nothing can ruin your plans more than feet that are hurting!... well except some things...

"Government is not the solution to our problem. Government is the problem."
- Ronald Reagan

Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.
- Publius Cornelius Tacitus

"We are the people that we have been waiting for."
-Unknown-

"No Compromise"
Canada's National Firearms Association

Old 03-12-2011, 12:44 AM   #36

Liked 24 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 160

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueNorth View Post
I bought a new pistol and shotgun, (Beretta 92fs Inox, Remington 870 express) with a meagre supply of ammo. But sold a bunch of silver bullion to finance it.

If anyone has read the survival forum post "silver" you will see my post on selling bullion ot buy goods. I leave it up to others to make thier choices, but I'm cashing in the bullion to buy functional goods atm. Just to max my silver's profit potential.

I also got a 24 hour pack, but that's out budget. I'm planning a 72hr pack next, or a set of pack boots. Never underestimate the power of boots! Nothing can ruin your plans more than feet that are hurting!... well except some things...
I think you made the right choice, silver Is still easy to get.

Old 03-12-2011, 12:53 AM   #37
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

By 24 or 72 hour pack do you mean those prefabricated bug out bags? If so, you can make your own better and cheaper and tailor it to yourself.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 03-12-2011, 02:15 AM   #38
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I just finished loading all my pistol and rifle magazines, even the 10/22 mags.

I also readjusted the scope on the Eddystone and sharpened my Ka-Bar bowie.

I hate to go all tinfoil hat on you guys, but I just have a bad feeling and these things certainly can't hurt.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 03-12-2011, 02:16 AM   #39

Liked 10 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
By 24 or 72 hour pack do you mean those prefabricated bug out bags? If so, you can make your own better and cheaper and tailor it to yourself.
Right you are! I was referring to just getting the packs themselves to build my own. Right now I'm using normal backpacks, but I figure if I need to move on foot I'll want to carry more on me than in just a normal bag.

I live near a huge nature reserve, it's a bog so its super wet and unusable for vehicles. So if I chose to head in there for whatever reason foot would be the way to go.

Any suggestions for a 72 pack? I was thinking tailor tactical? or somesuch thing. But I'd rather not look like some militiaman to my neighbors on my nature walks!

"Government is not the solution to our problem. Government is the problem."
- Ronald Reagan

Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.
- Publius Cornelius Tacitus

"We are the people that we have been waiting for."
-Unknown-

"No Compromise"
Canada's National Firearms Association

Old 03-12-2011, 02:34 AM   #40
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

What about surplus packs from an Army-Navy store? Surplus is generally pretty good quality stuff and usually super affordable.

Unless you get all camouflaged or mall ninja'd up, an old army ruck shouldn't be any big deal.