Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > What have you done lately for Preps?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2011, 02:41 AM   #361
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3471 Times on 1606 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Double B and myself placed an order out of Nepal for some serious Zombie Slaying blades, inspired by our love for Walking Dead.

We THINK we have found the right formula for size, weight, length, speed and steel quality to be able to keep the oncoming hordes at bay. If these blades don't prove capable we are back to the Kilij and the Katana, but we are hopeful at the math on this one. 1300 grams is a LOT of steel in the right configuration it can prove to be DEADLY.

There is a head to head test planned, but we are still 50+ days out (as of 11.15.11) on the order due to backlog so let's keep the "Well, where are the tests" responses to a dull roar, okay?

Other than that I got a shipment in for another brick of .22lr ammo and picked up some FGMM .308 for The Judge, just in case.

JD

Old 11-16-2011, 02:42 AM   #362
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 1156 Times on 618 Posts
Likes Given: 537

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrGonzo11

We thought that was a given....duh
Ya think so, Doc? You seeing a lot of common sense out there these days? Lol! Nope, I'm of the mind that if it's not stated, the person hasn't thought of it. But all sorts of things don't get mentioned on the forum that I think might be of value: screws and nails? Magnets? Stainless steel tubs? All sorts of things will be hard or impossible to recreate in EOTWAWKI and owning just one or a few could make life so much easier...six stainless steel tubs, two large stoves and a well with a hand pump - I'm starting an old fashioned bath house!

Entrepreneurs never die, they just re-apply themselves.

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

Old 11-16-2011, 08:32 AM   #363
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 1156 Times on 618 Posts
Likes Given: 537

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
Double B and myself placed an order out of Nepal for some serious Zombie Slaying blades, inspired by our love for Walking Dead.

We THINK we have found the right formula for size, weight, length, speed and steel quality to be able to keep the oncoming hordes at bay. If these blades don't prove capable we are back to the Kilij and the Katana, but we are hopeful at the math on this one. 1300 grams is a LOT of steel in the right configuration it can prove to be DEADLY.

There is a head to head test planned, but we are still 50+ days out (as of 11.15.11) on the order due to backlog so let's keep the "Well, where are the tests" responses to a dull roar, okay?

Other than that I got a shipment in for another brick of .22lr ammo and picked up some FGMM .308 for The Judge, just in case.

JD
Dillinger, the biggest problem with hordes is being able to swing the thing for long periods of time. I would be interested to see a comparison of how long it could be wielded continuously versus, say, something lighter, like a machete. The problem with fatigue tests is they have to be done with the same person two or three days apart so the muscles can recover, and usually start with the heaviest first.

In my police training, we had to wield a PR-24 side-handle baton against a padded attacker for 90 seconds to qualify with it. If we started to die off in our attack at any point, the attacker would attempt to bring us down. My arms hurt for three days after that test! It made me realize the importance of extended combat, especially if you have multiple combatants. Make sure to train with it for extended periods if you really intend to be combat prepared.

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

Old 11-16-2011, 01:08 PM   #364

Liked 9185 Times on 5049 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by TekGreg

Dillinger, the biggest problem with hordes is being able to swing the thing for long periods of time. I would be interested to see a comparison of how long it could be wielded continuously versus, say, something lighter, like a machete. The problem with fatigue tests is they have to be done with the same person two or three days apart so the muscles can recover, and usually start with the heaviest first.

In my police training, we had to wield a PR-24 side-handle baton against a padded attacker for 90 seconds to qualify with it. If we started to die off in our attack at any point, the attacker would attempt to bring us down. My arms hurt for three days after that test! It made me realize the importance of extended combat, especially if you have multiple combatants. Make sure to train with it for extended periods if you really intend to be combat prepared.
That goes into training. Before joining the Marines, I was only able to run about 100 yards at a time (not because of football our anything, it's just all I could do). When I got out, I was able to run 10 miles before breaking a sweat. If you do 90 seconds with that baton 3 days a week, out will become second nature to you.

Old 11-17-2011, 01:34 AM   #365

Liked 629 Times on 408 Posts
Likes Given: 207

In my martial arts class we do 2-minute full contact sparring. Very very tiring.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 11-19-2011, 12:24 PM   #366

Likes Given: 2

27 various #10 cans of DH and FD food from emergency essentials along with some spices and some dough enhancer. (all about $400)

Set of 45 watt Solar Panels ($150), a small cast iron stove($147) and a 3750 Generator ($169) from Harbor freight.

I really wanted a larger Genny but winter is coming and I thought it better to have something than nothing.

All in all I think I have a nice core of Preps that I can build on but at the same time I have enough now that I can relax a bit and not spend so much on them each month.......which means......*drumroll*......I get to start buying more guns again!!! YAY!!!

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” -HST

"In a nation ruled by swine, all pigs are upwardly mobile—and the rest of us are F###ed until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. We owe that to ourselves and our crippled self-image as something better than a nation of panicked sheep."-HST

Old 11-27-2011, 06:40 PM   #367

recieved as order from emergency essentials yesterday.... I still hae 6 more cans coming that I ordered on Black Friday (3x FD Asian Style seasoned chicken 3x Strawberry flavored apple chips)

"In a nation ruled by swine, all pigs are upwardly mobile—and the rest of us are F###ed until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. We owe that to ourselves and our crippled self-image as something better than a nation of panicked sheep."-HST

Old 11-27-2011, 06:43 PM   #368
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1173 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

That looks pretty good.

I think that having fruit is really important and somewhat easily overlooked.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 11-27-2011, 09:11 PM   #369

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
I think that having fruit is really important and somewhat easily overlooked.
and also the one thing that most of us won't be able to grow ourselves.........except those that live in a posh state with a long growing season....like the peoples republic of Kalifornia........ but no self respecting Forum member would want to live in that damn Lib state......right?

Old 11-27-2011, 09:35 PM   #370
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1173 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrGonzo11 View Post
and also the one thing that most of us won't be able to grow ourselves.........except those that live in a posh state with a long growing season....like the peoples republic of Kalifornia........ but no self respecting Forum member would want to live in that damn Lib state......right?
Exactly. Oh, wait ....
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams