What have you done lately for Preps? - Page 36
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum >

What have you done lately for Preps?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2011, 04:28 AM   #351
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 69 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 37

I've made a habit of picking up at least one item for my stockpile every time I go to the store. Whether it be a can of soup, ammo, or first aid supplies. This has worked out pretty well for me and my stockpile is growing.

Old 11-14-2011, 04:30 AM   #352

Liked 24 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 162

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordan89 View Post
I've made a habit of picking up at least one item for my stockpile every time I go to the store. Whether it be a can of soup, ammo, or first aid supplies. This has worked out pretty well for me and my stockpile is growing.
Some habits are good to have.

MALO PERICULOSAM LIBERTATEM QUAM QUIETUM SERVITIUM

Old 11-14-2011, 07:41 PM   #353

Likes Given: 1

-trollpost, maybe-

Well, I've started collecting some bottle caps. -trollface-

But seriously, I learnt from my dad how to make certain traps, a rudimentry alarm system with tin cans, and I'm thinking of taking up a self-defense class. More preperation when I get my own income or I convince my brother the economy's gonna collapse or something.

Old 11-14-2011, 11:43 PM   #354

Likes Given: 1

I have been slack on posting but in the last few weeks I have

Bought 2 rabbit cages (getting 8 more this weekend)
Bought rabbit (getting 2 more next week)
Changed 2 litter water storage (45 bottles)
Built "Camping rifle" (single shot 22, para cord sling, put fire kit and first aid kit in stock)
Planted Herbs (they failed, started growing mold)
Started garden lay out
Marlin 70
Mossberg 500
Glock 17
Savage Mark 2
Hi point 995TS
Winchester 410
Rossie single shot 22lr

Old 11-15-2011, 06:47 AM   #355
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1466 Times on 772 Posts
Likes Given: 634

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrGonzo11 View Post
Yeah same here, now that will be a totally different story if there is no power or running water let alone cleaning supplies.....a little scratch could kill you... better to have them than not.

My son is allergic to all the "Cillin's" too thats why I got the Cipro, ideally I'd like to get some azithromycin, but its a little pricey and way harder to get.

I wish all I had to do was go accross the border....then again if I could do that I would probably have unholy addiction to vicodin or hydrocodone In my line of work everything hurts....all the f'n time.
Cipro has the added benefit of being the treatment for Anthrax, so if there is an attack with a weaponized version it can be taken as a preventative or used as a treatment after-the-fact.

Also, pain killers like Vicodin, when used properly to control pain, don't become physiologically addictive. The drug is burned up controlling the pain and doesn't cause addiction. It's when the drug is taken and no pain exists that the drug sits in the body too long, giving the euphoric "high" and rewiring the pleasure centers of the brain, causing troublesome addiction.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

Old 11-15-2011, 07:37 AM   #356

Default How Deep Does it Go?

As I've read this thread, I've come to the realization that different people are preparing for different levels and/or even different outcomes. Some are only concerned with a week or two of discomfort should the natural disaster hit their area, but are sure that everything will continue on as usual. Others think that things may fall apart for a month, three months, six months, even a year, but eventually, all will return to normal. These are what are termed SHTF or "Sh!t Hit The Fan" situations, for those that are acronym-challenged. These all presuppose that there will eventually be an end to the disaster and life as we know it will return to normal.

The other eventuality mentioned her is "End Of The World As We Know It," or EOTWAWKI. This is exactly what it says, and would be represented in Hollywood by films like "The Road," "Book of Eli," or the "Mad Max" series. This is a collapse of state and Federal government, an inability of utilities to produce, a complete collapse of major factories, freeways, shipping, airlines and transport. Everything would go back to being localized - government, farms, food, tradesmen.

It is this area that I believe many have missed the danger or opportunity for which to prepare. You see, most of SHTF preparations will diminish in the long-term, EOTWAWKI situation. Ammunition, Gasoline, propane, prepared food, tires, shoes, clothing - everything that can wear out or is consumable will be. However, people that have prepared by learning to weave, sew, farm, farrier, weld, build with alternate materials (sod, clay, etc), build solar stills, cobble, or have any other USEFUL skill with which to rebuild will be like gold and TRADE-ABLE.

Imagine after two years of SHTF and you are the only guy in your medium-sized village that has a couple of welders, some rechargeable batteries, and the solar panels to charge them. Do you think being able to assemble scrap metal into something useful would get you food or could make weapons? What if you were smart enough to stock up on swords, axes, hammers, wrenches, screwdrivers, socket sets when they were a few dollars at Harbor Freight? Do you think a socket set would auction for $100 or MORE in this situation? What if you have books on how to build a hand-pump from scrap materials? Or a water filter? You would be the village GENIUS and indispensable, meaning you get food and water rations first.

The things we take for granted now are going to disappear quickly because of hoarding, destruction, overuse, breakage and other attrition in such a scenario. If you have a skill, improve upon it and stock your tools-in-trade. If your skill is not Dark Ages-useful, try to find one that is similar and develop it. If you work in a machine shop on a modern lathe (not very adaptable to EOTWAWKI), get the book on backyard blacksmithing and take some tools and scrap metal home from work and learn a similar trade! Your current job should make the new skill cheap to learn. If this isn't possible, there is always Adult School or night school classes which only take one or two nights a week and are usually much simpler than regular college classes. They are meant to acquire skills and not necessarily increase academic grades.

This is a whole new level of thought: You must prepare for SHTF, but then you must have everything to start your new profession should normalcy never return. Imagine the seeds a farmer would have to have stored and protected as opposed to a regular family! As well as plows, horses, tack - well, you get the idea. In the New Economy, everyone will have to pull their own weight, and their ability to produce will determine their ability to share in food, energy and protection shares. Don't be left out in the cold with no skills and no way to contribute. Don't be fooled - there will be no welfare state left anymore.

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

Last edited by TekGreg; 11-15-2011 at 07:42 AM.

Old 11-15-2011, 07:51 AM   #357

Default Miracle of the Modern World!

I'm sorry, but after dozens and dozens of pages, I think you've all missed the most important SHTF item in the WORLD! It fixes truck windows, boots, radiators, tents, electrical wires, pants, sheet rock, and thousands of other things on the face of the Earth! I frankly don't see how civilization could survive without it and it should be the first factory we get back into production, because how can we survive without.....

DUCT TAPE!!!

Old 11-15-2011, 02:45 PM   #358

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by TekGreg View Post
I'm sorry, but after dozens and dozens of pages, I think you've all missed the most important SHTF item in the WORLD! It fixes truck windows, boots, radiators, tents, electrical wires, pants, sheet rock, and thousands of other things on the face of the Earth! I frankly don't see how civilization could survive without it and it should be the first factory we get back into production, because how can we survive without.....

DUCT TAPE!!!
Oh here here, 5 mega rolls wrapped in plastic with 5 big rolls in each one.

Jimmy

Hope for better, prepared for worst...

Old 11-15-2011, 04:58 PM   #359
Lifetime Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 9082 Times on 5276 Posts
Likes Given: 11970

Quote:
As I've read this thread, I've come to the realization that different people are preparing for different levels and/or even different outcomes. Some are only concerned with a week or two of discomfort should the natural disaster hit their area, but are sure that everything will continue on as usual. Others think that things may fall apart for a month, three months, six months, even a year, but eventually, all will return to normal. These are what are termed SHTF or "Sh!t Hit The Fan" situations, for those that are acronym-challenged. These all presuppose that there will eventually be an end to the disaster and life as we know it will return to normal.

The other eventuality mentioned her is "End Of The World As We Know It," or EOTWAWKI. This is exactly what it says, and would be represented in Hollywood by films like "The Road," "Book of Eli," or the "Mad Max" series. This is a collapse of state and Federal government, an inability of utilities to produce, a complete collapse of major factories, freeways, shipping, airlines and transport. Everything would go back to being localized - government, farms, food, tradesmen.

It is this area that I believe many have missed the danger or opportunity for which to prepare. You see, most of SHTF preparations will diminish in the long-term, EOTWAWKI situation. Ammunition, Gasoline, propane, prepared food, tires, shoes, clothing - everything that can wear out or is consumable will be. However, people that have prepared by learning to weave, sew, farm, farrier, weld, build with alternate materials (sod, clay, etc), build solar stills, cobble, or have any other USEFUL skill with which to rebuild will be like gold and TRADE-ABLE.

Imagine after two years of SHTF and you are the only guy in your medium-sized village that has a couple of welders, some rechargeable batteries, and the solar panels to charge them. Do you think being able to assemble scrap metal into something useful would get you food or could make weapons? What if you were smart enough to stock up on swords, axes, hammers, wrenches, screwdrivers, socket sets when they were a few dollars at Harbor Freight? Do you think a socket set would auction for $100 or MORE in this situation? What if you have books on how to build a hand-pump from scrap materials? Or a water filter? You would be the village GENIUS and indispensable, meaning you get food and water rations first.

The things we take for granted now are going to disappear quickly because of hoarding, destruction, overuse, breakage and other attrition in such a scenario. If you have a skill, improve upon it and stock your tools-in-trade. If your skill is not Dark Ages-useful, try to find one that is similar and develop it. If you work in a machine shop on a modern lathe (not very adaptable to EOTWAWKI), get the book on backyard blacksmithing and take some tools and scrap metal home from work and learn a similar trade! Your current job should make the new skill cheap to learn. If this isn't possible, there is always Adult School or night school classes which only take one or two nights a week and are usually much simpler than regular college classes. They are meant to acquire skills and not necessarily increase academic grades.

This is a whole new level of thought: You must prepare for SHTF, but then you must have everything to start your new profession should normalcy never return. Imagine the seeds a farmer would have to have stored and protected as opposed to a regular family! As well as plows, horses, tack - well, you get the idea. In the New Economy, everyone will have to pull their own weight, and their ability to produce will determine their ability to share in food, energy and protection shares. Don't be left out in the cold with no skills and no way to contribute. Don't be fooled - there will be no welfare state left anymore.
You've got some good points, and this is something my buddy and I were talking about the other night. I would add to that that in the EOTWAWKI money will have no value and arguably gold and silver will have little value for quite some time. Food, shelter, clothing and tools (probably a few more things) are going to be the items that have value. The grocery stores will have food for what, a couple of days? The cities will be filled with desperate starving masses who cannot possibly feed themselves and will eventually turn into massive plague-ridden pits of disease and famine. The areas that would survive are those small farming towns or isolated homesteads where food can be grown and game can be harvested. The starving masses in the cities will mostly die.

If you look at the Superdome after Katrina that was a good example of how it would go but they had an end in sight and they still couldn't get their stuff together. Not exactly the EOTWAWKI situation. The people who survived moved out.

Old 11-16-2011, 12:30 AM   #360

Likes Given: 2

Quote:

DUCT TAPE!!!
We thought that was a given....duh

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” -HST

"In a nation ruled by swine, all pigs are upwardly mobile—and the rest of us are F###ed until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. We owe that to ourselves and our crippled self-image as something better than a nation of panicked sheep."-HST