What have you done lately for Preps? - Page 33
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > What have you done lately for Preps?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2011, 01:56 AM   #321
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9203 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunerunner View Post
I researched plans for a DIY CO2 scrubber!

Dude your totally leaving us hanging here. Explain in great detail exactly what it is we are looking at, how it was made, and the solution that's in it please.

Old 11-12-2011, 02:17 AM   #322

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

This is a 2 liter PTFE soda bottle with two holes punched in the top. One hole is the inlet side and is where the tubing and air stone (from a fish tank) are mounted, the other is where the oxygenated air escapes.

The bottle is filled with water (preferable run thru a carbon filter to remove the chlorine) then inoculated with green algae. The algae use the CO2 in the photosynthesis process and expel oxygen. Sunlight or a sun like light source is required.

The little aquarium air pump drives the system. This is not my system or design....Here is a link http://www.instructables.com/id/Simple-Algae-Home-CO2-Scrubber-Part-1/]Simple Algae Home CO2 Scrubber - Part 1

My thought was to use 5 - 5 gallon plastic water jugs ganged together under a suitable grow light to work as a scrubber for a large self contained shelter.

People get the government they deserve.

Last edited by dunerunner; 11-12-2011 at 02:22 AM.

Old 11-12-2011, 02:52 AM   #323

Pretty sweet dude. Have any idea how much O2 it produces, compared to how much is needed based on the volume of space it's to be used in?

Old 11-12-2011, 02:06 PM   #324

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunerunner
Planning on canning some chicken and corned beef next month, albacoreTuna this spring. I purchased two butane single burner stoves and I get the refill bottles when they are run on sale. Regular gas here is $3.19. if I buy it at Safeway, I get $.10 off per gallon. Bought another 45# bag of grain last week but that is for beer for the M&G!!
My Mom canned HAMBURGER when she was preparing for Y2K!

She also canned chicken, corned beef, goat, deer, antelope, etc. amazingly it was all really good!

I've canned some chicken, hamburger, pork, and deer over the past couple years and taken it to my cabin...

"Adjust your DOPE Sergeant! No! Not the pills in your pocket, idiot! That stuff that lets you hit your target Sunshine!"

"Sua Sponte"

The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his. General George Patton

Old 11-12-2011, 02:47 PM   #325

I've got to be the luckiest prepper on here. When it comes to this stuff all I have to do is mostly supply labor. My parents harvest all they can, eat as much as they can stand and then they can the rest. most of the primitive living stuff belongs to my step dad who has always been prepared. I'm going to help set up the solar panels and maybe a windmill when I go down there for thanksgiving. The only foreseeable problem I can see is that the natural spring is on the back side of the property (65 acres). That's a lot of pipe to run, and of course I'll be helping with that.

Old 11-12-2011, 02:59 PM   #326

Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
I've got to be the luckiest prepper on here. When it comes to this stuff all I have to do is mostly supply labor. My parents harvest all they can, eat as much as they can stand and then they can the rest. most of the primitive living stuff belongs to my step dad who has always been prepared. I'm going to help set up the solar panels and maybe a windmill when I go down there for thanksgiving. The only foreseeable problem I can see is that the natural spring is on the back side of the property (65 acres). That's a lot of pipe to run, and of course I'll be helping with that.
Well it sounds like you will definitely be supplying some labor, but sounds like it will be energy well spent!

My prep for today was a bunch of NBC stuff that I REALLY didn't want to order as I'm not sure I will want to continue living if it is bad enough that I need all this crap. But I got Two Israeli Civilian Gas masks and two Israeli military gas masks for me and the wife and 2 Child size israeli civilian masks for my 2 1/2 year old, 12 extra filters. two plastic NBC suits, 2 of the British activated charcoal DPM NBC suits, a bunch of postassium iodide and some radiological sensor stickers. I just need to order gloves, boot covers for the three of us and find a NBC suit for my son that will fit for a few years.....harder than you would think....

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” -HST

"In a nation ruled by swine, all pigs are upwardly mobile—and the rest of us are F###ed until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. We owe that to ourselves and our crippled self-image as something better than a nation of panicked sheep."-HST

Old 11-12-2011, 03:42 PM   #327

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrGonzo11 View Post
Well it sounds like you will definitely be supplying some labor, but sounds like it will be energy well spent!

My prep for today was a bunch of NBC stuff that I REALLY didn't want to order as I'm not sure I will want to continue living if it is bad enough that I need all this crap. But I got Two Israeli Civilian Gas masks and two Israeli military gas masks for me and the wife and 2 Child size israeli civilian masks for my 2 1/2 year old, 12 extra filters. two plastic NBC suits, 2 of the British activated charcoal DPM NBC suits, a bunch of postassium iodide and some radiological sensor stickers. I just need to order gloves, boot covers for the three of us and find a NBC suit for my son that will fit for a few years.....harder than you would think....
Something I had to think about when packing all the extra clothes and shoes and such away, the kids grow!! My kid has the most in extra clothing and shoes in our little cache, as all of his stuff goes all the way to adult sizes (He's only 5 now). That's just one more thing I need to do this thanksgiving, pull out the clothes that won't fit him or his cousins, and take it to Goodwill (where much of it came from to begin with).

Old 11-12-2011, 03:44 PM   #328

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286

Something I had to think about when packing all the extra clothes and shoes and such away, the kids grow!! My kid has the most in extra clothing and shoes in our little cache, as all of his stuff goes all the way to adult sizes (He's only 5 now). That's just one more thing I need to do this thanksgiving, pull out the clothes that won't fit him or his cousins, and take it to Goodwill (where much of it came from to begin with).
I literally bought all of my furniture besides my TV stand at the Goodwill. Bought a lotta clothes there, too. They have pretty good stuff, if you ask me!

"Adjust your DOPE Sergeant! No! Not the pills in your pocket, idiot! That stuff that lets you hit your target Sunshine!"

"Sua Sponte"

The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his. General George Patton

Old 11-12-2011, 04:40 PM   #329

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlsbadRanger06 View Post
I literally bought all of my furniture besides my TV stand at the Goodwill. Bought a lotta clothes there, too. They have pretty good stuff, if you ask me!
I'm a big fan of Hawaiian shirts, and Goodwill is a great place to find them. I go for rough silk and coconut buttons. Picked up 5 over the summer, only paid a quarter each for them.

Old 11-12-2011, 09:17 PM   #330

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Just go back from wallyworld,got 20 cans of chunky soup for 1.50$ a can not too shabby of a deal . Got a bunch of bananas ,broke out the mandolin got them all sliced up and trying out my new dehydrator. Never done it before ,so if this works out then I'll try apples and then the possibilities are endless.