What have you done lately for Preps? - Page 31
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > What have you done lately for Preps?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2011, 11:31 PM   #301
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

I washed out my 5 gal. Coleman water containers this morning. I also moved a bunch of canned goods around to more easily identify what we have. I moved four boxes of canned goods that are dated '09 &'10 to the basement. They can either be used first or used for barter.

I bought two wool army blankets at a yard sale a while back and just picked them up from the cleaners. For what it cost to clean them I could've bought new ones.

I dug out an old corded telephone and put it here in the cave for just in case.

I picked up some more Hydrogen Peroxide, Hydrocortisone cream, Oral analgesic gel and antibiotic ointment.

I bought some old fashioned spring trap mousetraps and I also picked up a couple more Mini 14 mags.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 10-18-2011, 11:32 PM   #302

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadamai View Post
Okay, don't laugh...I am fairly new to some of this. I bought some waterproof boots after learning last winter that 'water resistant' boots meant I had to also stick my feet in plastic bags while shoveling snow.

It seems to me that a quality pair of waterproof shoes is very important.

Yeah, sticking my feet into ziplock bags before putting on my boots is a little funny in hindsight. It wasn't so funny at the time.

The lady at the store recommended the ones I ended up buying- she said she has a pair and they are also well insulated and can withstand low temperatures.
Not funny. Dry (and warm) feet are a serious thing. My boots were old and leaked (just like me...haha) so a couple of weeks ago I got a new pair of insulated and waterproof boots (Chippewa's) We'll see how they do when the snow flies. Didn't think of them as a prepping item but I guess I am prepping for winter.

OC

"magbum"

Old 10-18-2011, 11:37 PM   #303
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

BTW, this place has some excellent quality boots on sale for dirt cheap: BotachTactical.com

I bought these for $19.95 Corcoran 4000 Safety Toe Boots - Clearance

and these for $29.95 Matterhorn 1266 Mach Boots - Clearance

With Free Shipping!!!

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 10-19-2011, 03:50 PM   #304

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
BTW, this place has some excellent quality boots on sale for dirt cheap: BotachTactical.com

I bought these for $19.95 Corcoran 4000 Safety Toe Boots - Clearance

and these for $29.95 Matterhorn 1266 Mach Boots - Clearance

With Free Shipping!!!
Great find on these Boots CA. I have now taken several of my officers to this site so they can order affordable boots.

Old 10-20-2011, 01:53 AM   #305

Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caoimhin View Post
Great find on these Boots CA. I have now taken several of my officers to this site so they can order affordable boots.
I hope they all have freakishly small feet like CA357.......just sayin'

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” -HST

"In a nation ruled by swine, all pigs are upwardly mobile—and the rest of us are F###ed until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. We owe that to ourselves and our crippled self-image as something better than a nation of panicked sheep."-HST

Old 10-20-2011, 03:29 PM   #306

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Oddly all the females and 2 of the males do have small feet. I found a pair of size 12 though.

Old 10-29-2011, 05:05 PM   #307

Default Expanded my plans

I had posted earlier about expanding my plan. I've created a spreadsheet. It won't be much use after the SHTF, but one of my many skills is planning. It'll allow me to be better prepared for when it hits. The compulsion to plan is can be a curse at times, much like my ability to wake up at 5:50 every morning without an alarm clock, but it is what it is.

1. Estimate what I'll need to survive for a year, then multiply by 1.5.
a. Not just food. matches, propane tanks, storage, etc.
b. This will allow me to hunker down until it's safe to find a place to homestead. I'll be able to hold out at least until the beginning of the next growing season. at which point, I have the skills to make it.

2. Estimate the cost of what will be necessary to put aside
a. putting money away for a retirement that I'm unlikely to live to enjoy is a waste of valuable resources. I'll stock up for the lean times. At least I know where my money is. Further, I'll be spending money while it still has value.

3. create a purchase plan
a. How much can I afford on a biweekly basis. I shop once every two weeks. This is how much I need to spend live for the next two weeks. This is how much I need to spend for another month of prep.
b. I shop sales. Whether it's store brand cans of condensed soup, jugs of bleach for water purification, little propane tanks, 10 lb bags of rice or beans. Whatever if it's on the list, and on sale, I toss a couple in the cart and they go right into the basement pantry.

Right now, I'm good for about 4 months on just food, so about 1/3 of where I want to be. Water is still an open question. I've got a couple weeks worth but I'm researching filters as well and purification is at the top of the list.

Based on "The Plan", if we can stave off Armageddon for another 3 months, I'll have my year of food and water and perishables.

Anyone who wants to take a look at my preparedness spreadsheet, PM me and I'll be happy to email you a copy.

Inventory:
AK-74
M1911-A1
CETME .308 Sporter
Sig SP2022
Ruger 10/22
Hi-Standard Duramatic M-101
H&R 1874 12 Guage
Mosin Nagant M91/30
K-98 Mauser
Ithaca M-66

“It's too easy sometimes to give in to despair, unless, of course, you’re talking about politics, in which case you don't really have any other option.” Mike Littwin

Old 10-29-2011, 05:30 PM   #308

Likes Given: 2

20x progesso soup (on sale $1.49 @ wally world)
1x 7 gal aquatainer
2x wool blend blankets
2x stone knife sharpeners
1x block style diamond knife sharpener with different grit on each side
4x 8 LED Flashlights
4x 1 lb propane tanks
1x Bear Grylls Gerber large folding knife with sheath ($30 couldn't resist)
1x vaccum sealed Quikclot
1x 100% Deet spray can ($1 on clearance)
1x Military tourniquet
1x Stethoscope
1x Blood pressure cuff
2x Dentemp-temporary filling repair
1x 6 piece set of dental tools
1x throat mic/invisible ear piece for my dual band radio
1x mini antenna for the same radio
2x Dynamo LED flashlights
1x Custom AK47 and added some goodies to it
1x new mainspring housing with mag well for my 1911
1x new set of custom grips for my 1911
1x JOIN or DIE ejection port cover for the AR15
1x never quit grip for the ar15

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” -HST

"In a nation ruled by swine, all pigs are upwardly mobile—and the rest of us are F###ed until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. We owe that to ourselves and our crippled self-image as something better than a nation of panicked sheep."-HST

Old 10-29-2011, 11:28 PM   #309
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 233 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 501

Hey drgonzo, wat did you use to paint that AK and how hard was it to do. I have a WASR10 and got it ready to go with new collapsible stock alluminum quad rails and a more egronomic pistol grip. Would love to give it a pain job just for kicks!

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
--George Washington

Old 10-29-2011, 11:32 PM   #310

Liked 9204 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Love the SAW grip on the AK. That would feel real natural to me.