Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > What have you done lately for Preps?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2011, 04:04 PM   #291
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1174 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Hmm. I was thinking about just using vacuum sealing bags. I have some sugar and coffee beans I sealed up about five years ago that seems to be storing okay so far.

I also have a bunch of vacuum sealed seeds and quite a few dried spices and herbs.

I have five gallon mylar bags, 5 gal. buckets and o2 absorbers, but I don't have rice or legumes in enough quantity yet to use them. I have to hit a warehouse type store first. I'll use the 2x4 & iron method to seal them.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 10-17-2011, 04:58 PM   #292

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

CA357 keep watch with the RV stuff for used generators. A lot of RV'ers are staying home and selling out as their retirement checks won't buy gas anymore. You can even call on ad's where their selling their RV's and ask about a generator. I've picked up a couple from people giving up the life style. FireGuy, put your stuff in the Mylar bag then put a big coffee filter on top. Now take your hose vac and put one of the computer cleaning nozzles on it and suck the air out. Works best if you seal all but the last inch of the bag before vacuuming out the air. I have added a piece of 1/4 inch plastic water tubing to the computer cleaning nozzle with duct tape of course. This really helps give you more control. Don't worry about the shop vac as long as your sucking it wont contaminate your food. I use it to suck the air out of big bags with pillows, sleeping bags and sweaters for storage too.

Old 10-17-2011, 05:11 PM   #293
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Great tips CM. Thanks.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 10-18-2011, 01:18 AM   #294
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 7829 Times on 4519 Posts
Likes Given: 10082

You need to use different storage techniques if you are storing for seed versus food. Regardless, I never store anything in plastic bags unless I am freezing it. Plastic does not have any ventilation and if there is sugar in the bag you will get mold or fermentation. The "foods" that are stored sealed in plastic (liker MRE's ) have been processed to last. Not good food.

Old 10-18-2011, 02:43 AM   #295
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

So how should I preserve seeds?

Old 10-18-2011, 04:42 AM   #296

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
So how should I preserve seeds?
I wrap mine in old towels, then put them in paper bags and into the freezer. Been doing that for many, many years. Has always worked for me. I love my heirloom seeds. No freezer burn.

Jimmy

Make sure your not someone's PITA....

Hope for better, prepared for worst...

Old 10-18-2011, 04:51 AM   #297
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Okay, I'll give it a go.

Old 10-18-2011, 10:59 PM   #298

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Bought another propane tank today. Need to get it filled tomorrow.

OC

"magbum"

Old 10-18-2011, 11:15 PM   #299
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 103 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Okay, don't laugh...I am fairly new to some of this. I bought some waterproof boots after learning last winter that 'water resistant' boots meant I had to also stick my feet in plastic bags while shoveling snow.

It seems to me that a quality pair of waterproof shoes is very important.

Yeah, sticking my feet into ziplock bags before putting on my boots is a little funny in hindsight. It wasn't so funny at the time.

The lady at the store recommended the ones I ended up buying- she said she has a pair and they are also well insulated and can withstand low temperatures.

Old 10-18-2011, 11:19 PM   #300
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I don't think it's funny, it's smart. One of the first things you learn in basic training is to take care of your feet.