What have you done lately for Preps? - Page 29
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > What have you done lately for Preps?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2011, 01:33 AM   #281
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Yesterday I traded 15 oz. old silver coins for 40 silver American Eagle 1 oz. coins. I had been saving old mercury dimes and franklin half dollars since I was a kid. I was happy and coin shop was happier.
Today I bought 20 more 1lb. propane bottles and had ten 40 lb. bottles filled.
Looked at generators but didn't buy.

I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine.
-Ayn Rand

Old 10-17-2011, 03:14 AM   #282
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Nice trade Gordo.

Speaking of generators, My buddy was going to give me an old construction generator he came across for free. He was putting it through its paces and had a table saw, Skilsaw and something else plugged in and it seized up. He checked it out and it's toasted.

I thought I had spare power set up, but now I have to watch out for a garage sale or something to find a reasonably priced one. This is a big step backwards.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 10-17-2011, 03:25 AM   #283

Default Organize organize organize

Put some additional shelving in the basement. Nothing fancy. Separated canned goods from dried goods and sorted by type. logged everything by calorie count and created a spread sheet to track when how far out I've stocked up. Looking to have a years worth for myself and the pack. Still have a ways to go but I should be there in the next four to six weeks.

Found a couple old (and I mean OLD, might have been my great granddads) leg traps. I figure that it's a good idea to have couple to set around both the deter four footed scavengers and obtain some extra calories. cleaned them up, scraped off the rust and oiled them up. Still work.

Inventory:
AK-74
M1911-A1
CETME .308 Sporter
Sig SP2022
Ruger 10/22
Hi-Standard Duramatic M-101
H&R 1874 12 Guage
Mosin Nagant M91/30
K-98 Mauser
Ithaca M-66

“It's too easy sometimes to give in to despair, unless, of course, you’re talking about politics, in which case you don't really have any other option.” Mike Littwin

Old 10-17-2011, 03:31 AM   #284
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

That seems pretty well organized to me Erik.

I had to go through all the canned goods this week and arrange them by date. It took a while, but it's done.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 10-17-2011, 03:48 AM   #285

The generator has gone down a few slots on my (to buy) list.
It is my first luxury item to procure, though!
I can go it alone for about 6 months on my own, now.
Problem is I got kids and friends that think I am just a "crazy old man".
Maybe so, but I will support them as well.
I wish I could convince them as well, I'm working on it!

I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine.
-Ayn Rand

Old 10-17-2011, 04:35 AM   #286

Liked 52 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 59

I just got home from a friend's undisclosed location helping him bag up beans, rice, and wheat. We mixed diatomaceous earth with the wheat to ward against bugs and sealed it in mylar bags in 5 gal plastic pails. He used O2 absorbers in his, I just sealed mine without. I've read that you can kill the seed if stored for long periods in low oxygen. I may want to sprout the wheat for extra nutrition or even use it for seed to grow more and want the most viable seed I can have. We bought big bags of triple cleaned seed wheat for a lot less money than the emergency food suppliers want. It was processed less than 20 miles from where we live.

I put 25 pounds of rice, 20 pounds of pinto beans and a couple pounds of black beans and chick peas in 1 gallon bags. I think they may be handier for when it is time to actually use the stuff to have smaller packages. Or if I want to barter or provide assistance it would be easier to manage.

Join the NRA! Stop the Brady madness!

Old 10-17-2011, 04:55 AM   #287
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Did you use mylar or ziploc type bags for the smaller quantities?

Old 10-17-2011, 05:01 AM   #288

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
Did you use mylar or ziploc type bags for the smaller quantities?
We used 1 gallon mylar with 300cc O2 absorbers. Sealed them with a clothes iron over a piece of 2x2 board.

Old 10-17-2011, 07:18 AM   #289
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Thanks, I was wondering. Packaging up smaller quantities is a good idea. I think I'll use the vacuum sealer and see how it goes.

Old 10-17-2011, 01:22 PM   #290

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
Thanks, I was wondering. Packaging up smaller quantities is a good idea. I think I'll use the vacuum sealer and see how it goes.
We tried the vac sealer with the smaller mylar bags and didn't have much success. We couldn't get the bags to vacuum out. Must be something with the smooth texture of the bags compared to the ribbed plastic bags. It worked really well to seal, just couldn't vac them.

I have used the vacuum sealer with some of the first things I put away, beans, rice, salt, etc. They are storing fine. I have gotten the impression that the mylar bags provide a container that is less porous and therefore a better seal and protection.