What have you done lately for Preps? - Page 28
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum >

What have you done lately for Preps?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2011, 05:31 PM   #271
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 714 Times on 431 Posts
Likes Given: 860

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
I use composted horse or dairy cow manure, I haul it home and stockpile it and turn it over for two or three years before using it in the raised-bed garden. One thing I have come to be cautious of with the horse manure though is if there are any de-wormers used on the horses. These are present in the manure for a long time after the horse has eliminated the manure. You want the worms in your garden (different kinds of worms to be sure, but the de-wormer medications kill beneficial worms as well as the ones that infect horses.)
We discussed this with our vet. We have horses and deworm them
twice a year. One year of composting it will completely eliminate the
active ingredient. My wife confirmed this with several sources. I will
see if she saved the references.

"I am prepared are you?" -- Shade

"Regulation, registration, confiscation, domination, that's the Progressive agenda." -- RED Caddy

Old 10-13-2011, 07:59 PM   #272
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1176 Times on 511 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Whoah! Thanks for the tip on the de-wormer.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 10-14-2011, 01:54 AM   #273

Liked 714 Times on 431 Posts
Likes Given: 860

Quote:
I use composted horse or dairy cow manure, I haul it home and stockpile it and turn it over for two or three years before using it in the raised-bed garden. One thing I have come to be cautious of with the horse manure though is if there are any de-wormers used on the horses. These are present in the manure for a long time after the horse has eliminated the manure. You want the worms in your garden (different kinds of worms to be sure, but the de-wormer medications kill beneficial worms as well as the ones that infect horses.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
Whoah! Thanks for the tip on the de-wormer.
Viking is correct in that the wormer is still active after the horse (or any animal) eliminates it in their waste; but the decomp time is weeks/months not years. My wife is an organic farmer.

"I am prepared are you?" -- Shade

"Regulation, registration, confiscation, domination, that's the Progressive agenda." -- RED Caddy

Old 10-14-2011, 04:21 PM   #274
Lifetime Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 9088 Times on 5276 Posts
Likes Given: 11970

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shade View Post
Viking is correct in that the wormer is still active after the horse (or any animal) eliminates it in their waste; but the decomp time is weeks/months not years. My wife is an organic farmer.
Well, while I try to compost for 2 or 3 years it sometimes ends up being one year, but that is after a year composting at the stable. When I put it in the garden is is fully composted. How about them (road) apples!

Old 10-14-2011, 05:50 PM   #275

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

My raised beds are 24 inches tall 5'x5' or 3'x8', 2' apart. I start with news paper sheets then old moldy hay and straw, then I add manure, then garbage compost, leaves and grass clippings and then fresh compost I buy for $12 a truck load at the county land fill. They have the biggest digester system in the SW at the land fill. Most City's or County's have compost now. I have a book called Sq. Foot Gardening and 1 called Lasagna Gardening. I do a hybrid of the presented ideas. You can search Lasagna gardening on Mother Earth News.com. They have good articles that explain it without buying the book. There is a reason the tomato volunteers always grow so well in the compost pile. Food and drainage.

Old 10-15-2011, 01:30 AM   #276

I tried some of the "compost" from the transfer station (like the landfill) but only once. I got glass, metal and plastic in it in addition to some painted wood. And it didn't grow anything any better than barren dirt (probably worse).

For my non-edible gardens and for my tree seedlings (conifers and chestnuts) I use a place called The Soil Farm in Half Moon Bay. They have several different mixes for different purposes. I get my soil for the blueberries there too because they have a high acid mix (they make it for the rhododendron and azalea nurseries around here). You can talk to the guy who makes the mixes and ask what the ph is on a given day and he either knows because he checked it that morning or he checks it right then.

Old 10-15-2011, 01:53 AM   #277

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
I tried some of the "compost" from the transfer station (like the landfill) but only once. I got glass, metal and plastic in it in addition to some painted wood. And it didn't grow anything any better than barren dirt (probably worse).

For my non-edible gardens and for my tree seedlings (conifers and chestnuts) I use a place called The Soil Farm in Half Moon Bay. They have several different mixes for different purposes. I get my soil for the blueberries there too because they have a high acid mix (they make it for the rhododendron and azalea nurseries around here). You can talk to the guy who makes the mixes and ask what the ph is on a given day and he either knows because he checked it that morning or he checks it right then.
Vikingdad the compost at our land fill is, clean, they tell you the ph and the temperature. Sorry your land fill is crap but at least you can get good stuff from the soil farm. I'm planting root crops now. We get cold but the ground shouldn't freeze until late January. Got 40 lengths of 3/8 re-bar free today. My friend is facility manager at a shipping place. They redid their loading dock pads and this bar was left by the contractor for 6 months now. I'll use it to make row covers on my raised beds.

Old 10-15-2011, 03:19 AM   #278

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caoimhin View Post
Vikingdad the compost at our land fill is, clean, they tell you the ph and the temperature. Sorry your land fill is crap but at least you can get good stuff from the soil farm. I'm planting root crops now. We get cold but the ground shouldn't freeze until late January. Got 40 lengths of 3/8 re-bar free today. My friend is facility manager at a shipping place. They redid their loading dock pads and this bar was left by the contractor for 6 months now. I'll use it to make row covers on my raised beds.
The most frustrating part is that I did look into it and asked all of the right questions, they even provided free delivery since I was buying 8 yards of it. (This was quite a few years ago) The truth is they don't regulate it nearly as tightly as they say they do. . On the other hand I have since hauled load after load of Scotch Broom and Star Thistle (both non-native noxious weeds) into the same transfer station and they grind it up and put it in their mix. They say that the heat of the composting kills the seed but it is not so for the thistle at least, that seed can endure pretty high temperatures for a long time and still be viable. Anyhow, I have found my sources and I'm sticking to them.

I have since gotten a dump trailer that will haul 5 yards and it rated at 16K Lbs gross, so I can haul my own. It takes a few trips and all but its worth it in my mind. I have even made some money hauling in soil for some of the neighbors, which has paid for what I need myself.

Old 10-16-2011, 12:41 PM   #279

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireguy View Post
These are the bolt cutters I am getting. Reviews are good enough for me.
Amazon.com: HKPorter 0190AC 24-Inch General Purpose Center Cut Bolt Cutter: Home Improvement
I bought this HK Porter cutter to replace a cheap Chinese unit I had that kept having it's blade chipped from simply cutting chains. On first use, this bad boy cut through some vinyl coated chain like butter.

What have you done lately for Preps? - Survival & Sustenance Living Forum What have you done lately for Preps? - Survival & Sustenance Living Forum
What have you done lately for Preps? - Survival & Sustenance Living Forum

Old 10-16-2011, 03:56 PM   #280

Liked 24 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 162

Filling the freezer with more & more Bambi meat.

MALO PERICULOSAM LIBERTATEM QUAM QUIETUM SERVITIUM