What have you done lately for Preps? - Page 23
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum >

What have you done lately for Preps?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2011, 09:47 PM   #221
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1176 Times on 511 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Apparently they can be shelled and boiled and then vacuum sealed.

Found this on the net in about two seconds. Just search preserving chestnuts.

Preserving Chestnuts

You can easily preserve chestnuts through the winter, after removing them from their green prickly husks make sure they are perfectly dry then place them in a wooden box or barrel between layers of dry fine sand much like the method used to preserve carrots. Once full store the box in a cool dry place. If still in their shells fresh chestnuts will keep in the salad drawer of the fridge for up to a month. Cooked chestnuts can be frozen whole or pureed and used in many recipes, try adding whole chestnuts to dishes like braised Pork or use them pureed to make delicious tasting stuffing's. Chestnuts can also be dried and ground up into a flour and used for making pastas, pancakes or used in baking.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.Samuel Adams

Old 08-16-2011, 05:34 PM   #222
Lifetime Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 9081 Times on 5276 Posts
Likes Given: 11970

I have been growing and selling chestnuts for several years so I have done great deal about them.

Chestnuts are HIGHLY perishable, so preserving them is tricky. The best way for long-term preserving is to refrigerate between 28F and 32F fresh off the ground and in the shell (not the burr). They must be in a breathable bag (burlap or other mesh). They will keep for several months this way. If you have a way of controlling the CO2 in your storage refrigerator they can be kept for up to a year.

Another way is to cook them your favorite way and then freeze them in a plastic bag. The problem with this method is the texture suffers from it. I don't care for the "mushy" texture this produces but if you use them in soups or purees it works just fine.

The best way for long-term storage is to dehydrate them completely which means you need a dehydrator. If there is any moisture left whatsoever they will mold. You should still freeze them after dehydration just to be sure. (edit) I forgot to mention to peel them after drying. It is much easier when they are dry as the shell just crumbles off with the bitter pellicle (that fuzzy skin) and all you have left is the meat.

Regardless of how you do it I do not recommend that you store them for over a year.

Oh yeah, chestnut flour is really good (gluten free) and makes great food, although it can be tricky to use because it does not behave the same as wheat flours do. Again, it is highly perishable, even as a dried flour, so freshness is key. I suppose you could freeze the flour in a vacuum sealed container and it should keep indefinitely but I am just guessing.

Old 08-16-2011, 05:40 PM   #223
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1176 Times on 511 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Thanks for the info.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.Samuel Adams

Old 08-16-2011, 09:10 PM   #224

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Just picked up 4 cases of quart and 4 cases of pint canning jars.

DG has the best price I have found.

Also more TP....

Jimmy

Old 08-16-2011, 10:53 PM   #225

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Found this somewhere . I'm not Morman but this is a good guide on how much you might want to store up.
Food Storage Calculator

Old 08-17-2011, 02:09 AM   #226

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I may try drying chestnuts and making flour; just because I haven't done it yet.
I have made flour from burr oak acorns, and it came out good, but was a lot of trouble.
Dried is my preference since it doesn't take much more than a sack to keep it in.

Old 08-17-2011, 02:19 AM   #227

I got some canned goods and i also ordered a week supply of MRE's.

Old 08-17-2011, 03:28 PM   #228

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Have you tried?

At Wal-mart I found Armor Treat $1.14 canned meat same weight as Spam $2.68. Is Spam that much better? Working on Water filter. Added more Rice and beans. Canned chicken from wally too. Finally have full 6 months on my meds and 12 months on some of them. 2 more jerry cans of gas for the generator. Gotta keep refrigerator and freezer running. Getting the upper false teeth this afternoon. Added an Explorer ll with 2 9 rd mags and 1 18 rd mag to the bob. I'll post a picture this week. It's a pistol version of the AR-7. I have several of the old ram line 25 rd mags but they are not good feeders. I won a $15 Amazon book gift card for a post on another site. I think I'll get Patriots.

Old 08-17-2011, 03:37 PM   #229

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Books

I picked up a couple more copies of Patriots, The 5000 Year Leap and a bunch of David Barton's books and classes. after TEOTWAWKI it would be good to have some form of history to help rebuild. I have been giving Patriots to interested people just to give them an idea or two.

Old 09-14-2011, 02:33 AM   #230

Liked 52 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 60

I got a 25 pack of one gallon mylar bags and O2 absorbers for food storage. Got a quantity of 4" and 2" gauze pads and butterfly strips for my med supplies. Dumped and refilled my water storage buckets. They have been sitting a year. Probably still plenty good, but I know that the family would think it is better if it is "fresher".