What have you done lately for Preps? - Page 22
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum >

What have you done lately for Preps?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2011, 01:54 PM   #211
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireguy View Post
I need to get a few spare mags for the 1911, I only have the two that came with it.
You can get some cheapies from sportsman's guide for $8.97 and about that at the gun shows, great for backups.

Quote:
It just never ends does it?
Nope, it seems that it will go on forever. At least it hasn't involved major structural changes to the house yet to free up more space.......YET

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” -HST

"In a nation ruled by swine, all pigs are upwardly mobile—and the rest of us are F###ed until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. We owe that to ourselves and our crippled self-image as something better than a nation of panicked sheep."-HST

Old 08-14-2011, 02:29 PM   #212
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrGonzo11 View Post
Nope, it seems that it will go on forever. At least it hasn't involved major structural changes to the house yet to free up more space.......YET
I gotta get a dumpster put in the driveway and clean out 15 years worth of crap out of the attic. That would free up a hell of a lot of space. Finding the time to go through all that stuff is the trick.

Old 08-14-2011, 03:50 PM   #213
Lifetime Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 9081 Times on 5276 Posts
Likes Given: 11970

I get free 5 gallon pickle buckets with lids from the local deli. They stink to high heaven of pickles initially but that goes away if you clean them with soap and leave them in the sun for a few weeks. In any case they are food grade and the best part is they are free! The deli has to pay to dispose of them (put them in the dumpster) so its a win-win situation.

Old 08-14-2011, 04:59 PM   #214
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1176 Times on 511 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Viking, that's mostly what I've got, pickle buckets. I'm friends with the owner of a Deli.

I washed them out with dish soap and hot water and set them out in the sun for a couple of weeks. Then I filled them with a weak bleach & water solution and let them soak for a week. Then back out in the sun for a few days or so.

It's kind of a PITA, but they were free. I've seen the same buckets selling new for $10.00 and up.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 08-15-2011, 07:26 AM   #215
Lifetime Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 9081 Times on 5276 Posts
Likes Given: 11970

I have literally hundreds of them. I also use them for my U-Pick chestnut operation (the customers each carry a bucket out into the orchard and gather their own. A 5 gallon bucket holds 30 lbs of chestnuts, and most customers come out with WWWAAAAAYYYY more than they planned on but then end up buying them anyhow.) as well as several hundred that I cut in half and stapled to survey stakes to use as sunshades for my seedlings. and I also have about 300 that I drilled a 1/8" ole in the bottom, set next to the seedlings and fill with water. Instant portable drip irrigation! Works better than I expected, plus I can remove them after watering so the pot growers don't steal my irrigation stuff.

Old 08-15-2011, 03:01 PM   #216
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Viking, here's the water filter setup using them. It's about $25. per filter set, so it's quite an inexpensive deal. I have two sets.

A Practical, Life-Sustaining Water Filter | Monolithic

http://shop.monolithic.com/products/just-water-ceramic-drip-filter
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 08-15-2011, 06:23 PM   #217

Liked 24 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 162

Ordered a BMF Activator for my Wally World 10/22. It's mostly for fun but might be handy.

MALO PERICULOSAM LIBERTATEM QUAM QUIETUM SERVITIUM

Old 08-15-2011, 06:25 PM   #218

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Use baking soda in your wash water for your pickle buckets. It neutralizes the acid in the vinegar and helps remove the smell

Old 08-15-2011, 09:08 PM   #219
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Excellent tip. Thanks OS.

Old 08-15-2011, 09:35 PM   #220

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

We're learning how to dry stuff to free up freezer and jar space: Pumpkins, green beans, soup beans, peaches, and I'm gonna try dehydrating elderberries next since they're getting ripe. Took off the screen door, filled and hoisted it up under the skylight. Dries fast. Got 3 gal of green beans in a half gal jar.

Anybody know how to preserve chestnuts w/o canning? They are about to start dropping.