What have you done lately for Preps? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > What have you done lately for Preps?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2011, 03:55 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
Whenever the news gives you the average price of gasoline, just remember that it's always higher in CA due to all the taxes and environads.

Mach, maybe just set up individual BOB's and a GOOD* package for your vehicle.

*Get out of Dodge
Thats what I have been doing. I also just got a new tent a new BOB well a second one really. now I just need a good Shotgun and alot of ammo and i feel that if need be i could make my way outta cali and at least into AZ. and scavange from there.

"Which is heavier a soldiers pack or a slaves chains" Napoleon
"We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."Thomas Jefferson
"You know why there's a Second Amendment? In case the government fails to follow the first one."
-- Rush Limbaugh, in a moment of unaccustomed profundity
"No combat-ready unit ever passed inspection, and no inspection-ready unit ever passed combat."

Old 02-21-2011, 03:58 PM   #12

Liked 52 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 59

I just got a used fridge for $12 at an auction and got it cleaned up and running in the garage. I started pulling out the dry milk, eggs, and butter from the super-secret hidey-hole in my hovel to store in cooler temps, hopefully to preserve quality/longevity. I also bought a small jug of olive oil to see how it freezes in the refridgerator freezer compartment.

I'm going to focus on canned meat/fish products to store in the fridge.

Old 02-21-2011, 04:29 PM   #13
Is it Friday yet?
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

We just got a couple pigs. No seriously, went and picked them up last weekend. We've already got chickens, so at the very least we'll be set in the bacon and eggs dept.

Old 02-21-2011, 06:57 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Hey, pork fat rules!

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 02-21-2011, 06:59 PM   #15
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1361 Times on 691 Posts
Likes Given: 1015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Michalik View Post
We just got a couple pigs. No seriously, went and picked them up last weekend. We've already got chickens, so at the very least we'll be set in the bacon and eggs dept.

Nice. My neighbor's got Angus cattle (and he's an absentee landowner) so we're havin steak. I got an orange grove on the other side. So that takes care of breakfast.

Old 02-21-2011, 07:46 PM   #16

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Stocked up on food when the Snozilla was supposed to have struck the STL region a few weeks back. Mostly canned goods...some soups, veggies, puke-a-roni. Also stocked up on pasta and rice.

This season I hope to have a much more productive garden, and will try my hand at canning some of the yield. My goal is to be totally free of the supermarket veggies by 2013. Assuming I don't bring any more mouths to feed into the world by then, that should be an obtainable task.

Old 02-21-2011, 10:05 PM   #17
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9198 Times on 3968 Posts
Likes Given: 1440

For those that are looking at getting into canning for the first time- couple of quick bits of advice-

Buy a pressure canner, and a copy of the Ball Blue Book. (No, not Blue Balls, Ball Blue) DO NOT attempt to can in a hot water bath. That way lies botulism for all too many foods. Do not try to recycle mayonaisse jars for canning- glass is too thin, and you have not seen a mess until a jar of boiling whatsis shatters.

We mainly can fresh veggies, but now and again will whip up a MONSTER batch of Brunswick stew or Chili- gorge self, can the rest. Old saying among country folks- "You eat what you can, and can what you can't".

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 02-21-2011, 10:13 PM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Good advice c3. Thank you.

I subscribe to "Backwoods Home" magazine. It's always got articles about canning and preserving, livestock, planting, guns and a bunch more. It has a decidedly Libertarian slant.

It comes out bi-monthly and I just renewed for another year. Here's a link to their website: BHM Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 02-26-2011, 10:09 AM   #19

Liked 24 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 160

Stocked up on .45 acp, saved gas by using the bike, filled up with seeds, planted a few, got a decent lantern. Much more to come. Building multi stage solar still out of plexiglass.

Old 02-28-2011, 12:09 PM   #20

Liked 52 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Made a Sam's run this weekend. Got 6 pack of chicken breast cans, 6 pack of tuna cans, 6 pack of chili cans, 6 pack of salmon cans. 25# of rice, 9# of pinto beans. Big packs of corn, peas, green beans, diced tomatoes. I'm trying to at least double up the amount I usually have in the pantry. Triple is my goal.