Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > What have you done lately for Preps?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2011, 12:44 AM   #161
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Default Moved off-grid

In the past 6 months we moved off-grid, built a cabin, barn and 2 chicken coops, fenced 7 acres, added 2 horses, 1 cow, 2 goats and 75 chickens. Installed solar and wind power, have a stream and pond, loaded in a couple years of supplies, garden seeds, food, medical supplies, etc.

Now we are building our house and expect to have it dried in by fall. Other than that just the normal 40 hour a week nerd job.

I will say one thing...I sure am getting into better shape. I start learning to be a farrier this weekend so I can trim the horses. I want to have this retreat all done before I reach 70. I hope to be able to quit working then too and really retire.

Old 07-15-2011, 12:46 AM   #162
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1174 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

That is an incredible amount of work and you have wonderful things to show for it. Congratulations.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 07-15-2011, 12:48 AM   #163

Likes Given: 2

Cheaperthandirt.com- $5 G3 Mag pouches (NEW) and $6 Belgium Load bearing Vest(NEW)

Sportsmansguide.com- $18 for two buttpacks (NEW) {Plus $10 off coupon}

Keepshooting.com-More $5 G3 Pouches (NEW) and a $20 German WEB set with buttpack, shovel cover/holder, acc. poch (USED) $15 P38 Holster {Plus 20% off coupon}

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” -HST

"In a nation ruled by swine, all pigs are upwardly mobile—and the rest of us are F###ed until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. We owe that to ourselves and our crippled self-image as something better than a nation of panicked sheep."-HST

Old 07-15-2011, 02:00 AM   #164
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 32 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Got a new back pack, and some more ammo.

Old 07-26-2011, 02:13 PM   #165

Went to a yard sale and found 5 30 round HK mags for the AR, and am starting to can the pole beans and beets from the garden. Only have a week before congress defaults.

Old 07-26-2011, 02:14 PM   #166

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50AEshooter View Post
Went to a yard sale and found 5 30 round HK mags for the AR, and am starting to can the pole beans and beets from the garden. Only have a week before congress defaults.
What kind of garage sales do you guys go to?!?!?! All I see are crafts, old tube TVs and crystal!!!!! (I WANT A GOOD GARAGE SALE!)

Old 07-26-2011, 04:14 PM   #167
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 103 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 38

To be honest, I am just getting started, aside from storing extra food, water, and cooking supplies as we have always done in case of emergency. Most Americans haven't given extra preparation much thought...but some posts on here and some discussions with family members have got me thinking. Heck, what am I saying, many Americans don't even have enough sense to store cans of food and water when a major hurricane is heading for their house! I will be storing some extra water for sure. Just bought another flashlight, batteries, and a bunch of survival items to put together an emergency backpack. My family has started buying extra cans and jars of nonperishable items each grocery trip (especially items on sale) to stock up more than usual. Has anyone thought of buying extra vegetable seeds?

Old 07-26-2011, 04:48 PM   #168
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1174 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Yup, seeds are very important. Buy non-hybrid seeds. I have some and I vacuum sealed them.

If you don't have a vacuum sealer/Food Saver type of machine, get one, get a good one.You'll be amazed at what you can preserve. You can even vacuum seal ammunition.

I have a vegetable garden and I recently took a Home Canning class at the local Ag extension. I'll be canning tomato's, jams and jellies and pickling up some stuff soon.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 07-26-2011, 08:58 PM   #169

Today I had to cut some trees that were down from wind damage.
I cut them into 6' lengths and stacked them up along one of my lean tos for a good defensive position.
I also went to the ole dollar general to stock up on rice, flour, and sugar. I am going to have to transfer to large plastic sealing drums soon.
Tomorrow I have an interview with a prospective employer, If I get offered a job, I am going to buy a dozen plastic drums and start transferring items.

"Who are the militia? Are they not ourselves. Congress have no power to disarm the militia. Their swords, and every other terrible implement of the soldier, are the birth-right of an American...(T)he unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people." (Tench Coxe, Freeman's Journal, 20 Feb 1778)

Old 07-28-2011, 09:55 PM   #170

Liked 85 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Well, the way things are going in this country at this time, I think I have decided on which firearms will go in the bug-out gear. Along with everything else we have set aside, here we go.

Mini-14, 1000 rounds of ammo for SD and medium sized game.

18" 870 Magnum Folder for SD and small game and minimum 500 rounds of various ammo.

Para P-14 for SD and 1000 rounds of ammo.

Ruger MK-11 Government and 5000 rounds of ammo for small game and plinking to break the boredome at times.

bugout.jpg  

Visit me on FaceBook at Alvord Limited Custom Gunsmithing.