What have you done lately for Preps? - Page 14
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum >

What have you done lately for Preps?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2011, 02:39 AM   #131
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 45

I've always been told that it was best to not plant the same type of veggies in an area years in a row, but I planted tomatoes in my raised beds years in a row and had a much higher yield last year. I use Osmocote (sp?) fertilizer as well as fresh compost before replanting.

Other than a lack of rain everything is looking good this year. Cuke's, tomatoes (heirloom and hybrid) straight neck and zuccini squash, okra, bush beans and peas. I had a bunch of volunteer stuff come up last year, including pumpkins. That's the thing about compost, you never know what'll come out of it.

Old 06-16-2011, 05:46 AM   #132
Lifetime Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 9095 Times on 5278 Posts
Likes Given: 11970

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davo45 View Post
I've always been told that it was best to not plant the same type of veggies in an area years in a row, but I planted tomatoes in my raised beds years in a row and had a much higher yield last year. I use Osmocote (sp?) fertilizer as well as fresh compost before replanting.

Other than a lack of rain everything is looking good this year. Cuke's, tomatoes (heirloom and hybrid) straight neck and zuccini squash, okra, bush beans and peas. I had a bunch of volunteer stuff come up last year, including pumpkins. That's the thing about compost, you never know what'll come out of it.
Sounds like you are amending the soil between plantings. That works very well as you have seen. I would bet that if you plant the tomatoes where the beans are and vice-verse you will get a better crop of tomatoes. The beans don't care though. That is as far as I know.

Old 06-19-2011, 04:43 AM   #133

Liked 10 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davo45 View Post
It usually is best to rotate plants to regenerate nutrients in the soil as some plants take certain nutrients out and others deposit them back.

Tomatoes are one of the exceptions, they tend to grow well when kept in the same area year after year.

"Organic Gardening for the 21st Century" by John Fedor I believe is a worthwhile read for anyone trying to start up an organic garden.

Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.
- Publius Cornelius Tacitus

"We are the people that we have been waiting for."
-Unknown-

"No Compromise"
Canada's National Firearms Association

Old 06-19-2011, 04:45 AM   #134

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3498 Times on 1613 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

What I have done for preps lately??

I'm meeting someone at a local range tomorrow to share some trigger time, some stories and probably a steak/beer or two.

Old 06-19-2011, 04:53 AM   #135
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1176 Times on 511 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Save a steak for me.

I'm going to pick up a hot water bath cooker and the necessary paraphernalia after the first of the month. I'm also going to start buying jars, rings and lids on a regular basis so I'm ready to go come harvest time.

Since berries are in season, I figure to practice making jelly while I wait for my tomatoes to grow. I want to practice pickling some stuff while I'm at it.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 06-19-2011, 06:13 PM   #136

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

CA 357: Want my wifes recipe for pickled garlic? Makes a great snack and keeps mosquitoes away. lol
I am not making any health claims or medical advice.
I was told by SHE WHO MUST BE OBEYED that I was not to make claims that it helps with cholestrol or anything else. (but it helped me). Mostly its a great snack.

Last edited by oldshooter; 06-20-2011 at 05:05 PM.

Old 06-19-2011, 06:55 PM   #137
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1176 Times on 511 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Sure, send me a PM.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 06-19-2011, 07:16 PM   #138

Liked 52 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
Sure, send me a PM.
I call foul!!!! Pickled garlic shoud be in open forum, not confined to the smokey back room!! Sounds yummy.

Old 06-19-2011, 10:51 PM   #139
bkt

Liked 1306 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireguy View Post
I call foul!!!! Pickled garlic shoud be in open forum, not confined to the smokey back room!! Sounds yummy.
What he said. Share the recipe if she wouldn't object!

Old 06-20-2011, 12:55 AM   #140

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

I've noticed a lot of posters to this thread have been talking about taking up home canning. My wife and I have been home canning for years, if you are thinking about buying a pressure canner I would suggest you buy the all American canner and save yourself a lot of headaches. Most of the other canners( while cheaper initially) use a gasket that we have found to be finicky at best, frustrating at worst. The AA has a taper fit rim and uses no gasket, in addition it is built like a tank. IMO this is the best canner out there. Just my two cents.