What have you done lately for Preps? - Page 13
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > What have you done lately for Preps?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2011, 12:07 AM   #121
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Just bring the meat and the arsenal. We've got the high ground here.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 06-13-2011, 06:51 AM   #122
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8673 Times on 5015 Posts
Likes Given: 11275

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireguy View Post
I found some more blueberry bushes at half price on Saturday. Hopefully it won't get too hot for them to get started in the ground when I plant them today. These have leaves and everything!
Plant blueberries in well-drained acidic soil, best around 4 or 5ph. You can use rhododendron/azelea mix (usually a 5 or 6ph) and add in some peat moss (peat moss is expensive!) If it gets hot where you are (I expect it does) you should put up some nursery cloth shading for the first year or perhaps two until they get established. Water often and well.

Don't expect a crop of berries this year, you had best pinch off any blossoms (flowers to you ignint' folks) as they appear because they deplete plant resources that are better served in getting established.

If you grow tomatoes, potatoes, peppers, or anything in the nightshade family do not grow them in the same soil next year. They are nitrogen depleters. Grow legumes instead or change out your soil (rather than using artificial nitrogen fertilizers). On the other hand, if you have any gunpowder that you are unsure of and need to dispose of, scatter it in the garden. Gunpowder makes a good (artificial) nitrate fertilizer and it is a safe way to dispose of it. It may not be organic but it is a somewhat novel way to go! When the neighbors ask how you grow those tasty tomatoes you tell them "I feed 'em gunpowder!" and they will never believe you. We grow anywhere between 20 to 40 tomato plants a year ( all Heirloom Brandywines, Mortgage Lifters, Abe Lincoln's and maybe a few others. Oh yeah, Ace, and Santa Clara Canners) and can what we don't eat or give away.

Last edited by Vikingdad; 06-13-2011 at 07:07 AM.

Old 06-13-2011, 01:09 PM   #123

Liked 52 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 59

I used peat moss at the first planting to lower the ph. I added some to the soil with these new plants as well. The first ones were just sticks from Walmart with no buds or anything, and rotted away in the soil. The replacements are at least a year old and have a better chance of getting started as long as I can shade them from the July and August heat.

I add compost to my raised boxes where I grow tomatoes every year and it seems to be enough to replenesh the soil. Sometimes I will add some miracle grow liquid to the watering hose toward the end of summer. Last year I was still producing tomatoes until it frosted. Thanks for the tips.

Join the NRA! Stop the Brady madness!

Old 06-13-2011, 07:57 PM   #124

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I just came in from watering the tomatoes this morning. So far we have 20 tomato plants, several pepper plants, eggplant, zuke and cucumbers along with every herb she could find. I have a friend that is going halves with me on a 1200 lb. steer this fall along with the pork he raises. Wife is busy making cheese as I type. When she is through with that she will finish the rag rugs she is crocheting. All I need now is a tractor and I'm set.

Last edited by oldshooter; 06-13-2011 at 07:58 PM. Reason: lousy spelling and worse typing skills

Old 06-14-2011, 01:36 AM   #125
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Old shooter, you and your wife are definitely on the job.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 06-14-2011, 07:01 AM   #126
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8673 Times on 5015 Posts
Likes Given: 11275

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireguy View Post
I used peat moss at the first planting to lower the ph. I added some to the soil with these new plants as well. The first ones were just sticks from Walmart with no buds or anything, and rotted away in the soil. The replacements are at least a year old and have a better chance of getting started as long as I can shade them from the July and August heat.
They are not draining well enough if they rotted away. If you have them in the ground I would move them to raised beds with an acidic mix, best check the ph than guess. Many years ago I had a couple of blues in pots that we planted in what we thought was composted manure (got it from a neighbor) and when the plants weren't doing too well I dug down into the pots and the soil was sludge, it hadn't composted enough and didn't have any oxygen at the roots.

These days I stockpile rich soil and buy some of it. There is a place not too far from me in Half Moon Bay (the Soil Farm) that sells really high quality custom soil mixes at very reasonable prices. I can call them up and ask what the ph is of a particular mix and they will go and check it and call me back. I buy their soil by the 5 cubic yard trailer load (my trailer, I haul).

I still get horse manure from a local stable for free, but I have to compost it myself for a couple of years, problem is that almost all horses are given worming medications and that kills all of the worms that break down the manure.. I would prefer to have a source for organic dairy cow manure. That would be the $hit! No bovine growth hormones, none of that deworming medicine. I need to look into that. They'll probably charge big $$ for it though.

Old 06-14-2011, 03:41 PM   #127

Liked 794 Times on 518 Posts
Likes Given: 888

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldshooter View Post
I just came in from watering the tomatoes this morning. So far we have 20 tomato plants, several pepper plants, eggplant, zuke and cucumbers along with every herb she could find. I have a friend that is going halves with me on a 1200 lb. steer this fall along with the pork he raises. Wife is busy making cheese as I type. When she is through with that she will finish the rag rugs she is crocheting. All I need now is a tractor and I'm set.
How big of a tractor do you need? Im sure you could find a Ford N-series (or later series) for not very much. I got a 9N about a year ago for $2,000 and use it more than my backhoe.... Parts are super easy to find and cheap!

Old 06-14-2011, 04:33 PM   #128

Liked 52 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Vikingdad,
The plants that rotted came in their own supposedly self composting potting container that was meant to be placed in the hole. I think they were dead when I planted them.

Join the NRA! Stop the Brady madness!

Old 06-14-2011, 08:07 PM   #129

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default tractor found !!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trez View Post
How big of a tractor do you need? Im sure you could find a Ford N-series (or later series) for not very much. I got a 9N about a year ago for $2,000 and use it more than my backhoe.... Parts are super easy to find and cheap!
I talked to a guy yesterday that has an old John Deere with a front loader and a backhoe attachment for $2200.00. I'm going to look at it this week.
If all I can do is clean the barn yard and dig a root cellar then I'm ahead of the game.

Old 06-14-2011, 11:07 PM   #130

Liked 794 Times on 518 Posts
Likes Given: 888

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldshooter View Post
I talked to a guy yesterday that has an old John Deere with a front loader and a backhoe attachment for $2200.00. I'm going to look at it this week.
If all I can do is clean the barn yard and dig a root cellar then I'm ahead of the game.
WOW!! Thats a steal!! (other than it being a John Deere.... just kidding!!) A backhoe and front loader? Good deal!
Tractors take the work outta work....