Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > What have you done lately for Preps?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2011, 04:12 PM   #111
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 52 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
Strawberries are self pollinating so you only need one and so are blueberries but they are not as efficient at it. In every case the more plants the better. Back to the blueberries, it is best to have several different varieties planted alternately, but make sure all varieties flower at the same time!!!! Seriously, some blues flower three months later than others. The two cannot cross-pollinate. The hot ticket if you have limited space is to graft the different varieties onto the one plant. You can even graft several different varieties that bloom at different times so you extend the time you have fruit. Grafting is a little tricky though.

My question is why the heck would anybody plant only one berry plant of any kind? That'll feed you for what? An hour?
One strawberry plant for the planet would be enough for me. My wife likes them and when she said she wanted ONE that is what we got. The bluberrys haven't even budded leaves out. I think I may not get anything from the three plants I but out. The strawberry is putting on fruit, although little ones.

Join the NRA! Stop the Brady madness!

Old 06-11-2011, 04:18 PM   #112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper61 View Post
Being that I am cuurently deployed to Afghanistan I'm good on weapons, ammo, armored vehicles, fuel, water, MRE's etc... But I'm on the wrong continent...So I have started researching how to get the the coast, but then I realized which coast??? Head for the Atlantic and you run the risk of going through some majorly populated areas so deamed not plausible. But my family is in Alaska so better to head for the Pacific that way it would be a straight shot. Then I realized that I don't know anything about nautical navigation so I think that is my next research topic.
I feel for you guys who are deployed in no man's land. If something horrific happened you would likely be stuck in a very inhospitable place. If the DoD has hardened their ships and vehicles from EMP or CME you could get along pretty well, if the transport system fails you are in a world of hurt.

I got nervous last spring when we went to AZ. My get home bag wouldn't take care of the three of us long enough to go more than a few days. My wife isn't into it enough to consider a bag for her as well.

Old 06-11-2011, 05:02 PM   #113

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 21

I'm assuming a worst case scenario so no support from the military. The closest body of water is the Arabian Sea just south, but that means more time on the ocean, and as I mentioned before zero nautical experience. The downside is that means over 2,00 miles of over land travel through asia!!

OIF Veteran
OEF Veteran
Lifetime VFW Member
NRA Member

Old 06-12-2011, 07:23 PM   #114

I found some more blueberry bushes at half price on Saturday. Hopefully it won't get too hot for them to get started in the ground when I plant them today. These have leaves and everything!

Old 06-12-2011, 07:37 PM   #115

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3471 Times on 1606 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

I bought some more .22LR ammo from one of our Vendors here. Good for taking small game, good for trading if times get hard and great for practice ammo in a couple of weapons with conversion kits (AR and 1911) that I have.

JD

Old 06-12-2011, 09:33 PM   #116
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1173 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

I planted the vegetable garden this morning. Right now, the only non hybrids in the ground are four tomato plants. I have some non hybrid vegetable seeds stored, so next year, I hope to have a completely non hybrid garden.

I had to go to Wally World, so I picked up a box of .45ACP and a box of '06 while I was there. I've got to replace a bunch of ammo that I was forced to sell to keep the wolf away from the door this past winter.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 06-12-2011, 10:08 PM   #117

My wife started eating cherry tomatoes from our plant two days ago. I've got some man sized tomatoes growing on the other plant. We only planted one of each.

Old 06-12-2011, 10:14 PM   #118

You guys amaze me. I can't even grow grass evenly.

Can I come to your place to trade supplies when the Space Zombies come? I'll have ammo and meat.

JD

Old 06-12-2011, 10:32 PM   #119

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
You guys amaze me. I can't even grow grass evenly.

Can I come to your place to trade supplies when the Space Zombies come? I'll have ammo and meat.

JD
Sure, JD. Just bring a good quality wheat grinder and you'll have to cover me while I haul a few pickup loads of wheat from the grain elevator just down the street from me.

Old 06-12-2011, 10:35 PM   #120

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireguy View Post
Sure, JD. Just bring a good quality wheat grinder and you'll have to cover me while I haul a few pickup loads of wheat from the grain elevator just down the street from me.
I wouldn't know a quality wheat grinder if I stumbled over it.

But, I will definitely have the hardware and knowledge to plan an assault on where we can get one and cover you while we "appropriate some necessary mission equipment".

JD