What have you done lately for Preps? - Page 11
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > What have you done lately for Preps?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2011, 05:26 PM   #101
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Stocking up on GV can goods at Wally world. They are cheaper than jars for canning. I have used the diced potatoes in several recipes and they brown and crisp up well. Also stock up on packaged rice and pasta kits. GV and Knorr . Will can up lots of meat based foods.These and the cans have 2 to 4 year dates. Wally has also had the 100 pk of 45 ACP for $32. Stocked up on that. Added 5 more gal gas for Generator in the metal GI cans. Found them at Gebos in Amarillo Tx. All the heavy smoke this week from the Az fire has caused me to start looking into respirators with eye protection. At times you only have 1/2 mile visibility. I'm 240 miles from the fire. What if the zombies burn the city. How bad will the smoke be. Down loaded Dutch oven recipes and added to note book. Lots of DO societies out there. Garden is in. Add new 4x8 raised bed, my 5th. Added a box of lady pads to the first aid kit. They make great trauma pads. My wife calls them tactical practicals. Thanks for the great Ideas.

Old 06-08-2011, 06:33 PM   #102
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Sounds like you've been busy.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 06-11-2011, 04:02 AM   #103
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8265 Times on 4776 Posts
Likes Given: 10681

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireguy View Post
Picked up some herbs and tomato plants today. The wife insisted on a strawberry bush. Do they need to be planted in pairs? She only got one.
Strawberries are self pollinating so you only need one and so are blueberries but they are not as efficient at it. In every case the more plants the better. Back to the blueberries, it is best to have several different varieties planted alternately, but make sure all varieties flower at the same time!!!! Seriously, some blues flower three months later than others. The two cannot cross-pollinate. The hot ticket if you have limited space is to graft the different varieties onto the one plant. You can even graft several different varieties that bloom at different times so you extend the time you have fruit. Grafting is a little tricky though.

My question is why the heck would anybody plant only one berry plant of any kind? That'll feed you for what? An hour?

Old 06-11-2011, 04:25 AM   #104
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8265 Times on 4776 Posts
Likes Given: 10681

I am late to the conversation. My bad. First of all I am staying put on my 20 acres, so an INCH bag or whatever other acronym you have been using, is not in my plan. A 24 hour bag is.

I have been adding to my radio communications capabilities. I am a licensed Ham, and I now have the equipment to communicate globally. I just need to put it all together so that it works. In the past year I have added solar power to the house (also helpful for the radio equipment) to supplement or replace the generators.

I have a couple of water tanks (I own my own well, etc..) but I am thinking I should have a few barrels of water stored just in case the tanks roll down the hill in a big earthquake. That may be next.

Something I have been doing for years that I suggest you all consider is to start a couple of beehives. I say start with at least two because that gives you some frame of reference when working them. Honey will be more valuable than gold when the SHTF. I sell my honey for $10 a pound right now and can't keep enough in stock. (I keep 15 hives currently and am building my way up to hopefully 100). It takes work, but it is a sweet reward. Also, honey is the only food known to Man that never spoils. Ever. Outlasts even twinkies!

Also, Cali is not so bad if you think about it. Much of the population is unarmed and most of that is in the big cities. They are afraid of us in the boonies. I like that. Any time somebody says "I know where I'm going when the SHTF!" I tell them they will be shot on sight if they show up at my place unless they bring a truckload of supplies with them and even then they are at risk.

Old 06-11-2011, 04:54 AM   #105

Liked 52 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Scored huge at an auction tonight. Got a Coleman propane lantern for $2.50. It just needs a mantle. Single burner.

Join the NRA! Stop the Brady madness!

Old 06-11-2011, 05:04 AM   #106
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Excellent score!

I'm going to a three hour class on canning and preserving in the morning.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 06-11-2011, 05:14 AM   #107

Liked 52 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
Excellent score!

I'm going to a three hour class on canning and preserving in the morning.
I really need to learn how to can. I picked up a bunch of jars last year from a friend who has been hoarding them from yard sales and auctions. Even if I just canned tomatoes it would pay off. I passed up a canning pot that went really cheap a couple of weeks ago and have been kicking myself over it since.

Join the NRA! Stop the Brady madness!

Old 06-11-2011, 06:25 AM   #108

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I've picked up a excersize routine and been doing a lot of hiking lately, also started studying and practicing survival techniques.

Check out my blog:http://ithinkforme.blogspot.com/

Old 06-11-2011, 07:12 AM   #109
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Good thinking Cory. I've had to start exercising. I've been way too sedentary.

Old 06-11-2011, 03:30 PM   #110

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Being that I am cuurently deployed to Afghanistan I'm good on weapons, ammo, armored vehicles, fuel, water, MRE's etc... But I'm on the wrong continent...So I have started researching how to get the the coast, but then I realized which coast??? Head for the Atlantic and you run the risk of going through some majorly populated areas so deamed not plausible. But my family is in Alaska so better to head for the Pacific that way it would be a straight shot. Then I realized that I don't know anything about nautical navigation so I think that is my next research topic.

OIF Veteran
OEF Veteran
Lifetime VFW Member
NRA Member