Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Survival & Sustenance Living Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f51/)
-   -   What have you done lately for Preps? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f51/what-have-you-done-lately-preps-38757/)

CA357 02-21-2011 03:31 AM

What have you done lately for Preps?

I picked up two new kerosene lanterns, two battery powered lanterns, some emergency candles, more propane for the propane stove and some more .45ACP ammunition. I've put together some shrink wrapped food ration packs to keep in the SUV as well.

Gas is now around $3.60/gal. here. I'm glad I filled the Jerry Cans at the beginning of the Egypt chaos.

What are other folks doing lately?

c3shooter 02-21-2011 03:49 AM

Changed the batteries in the radiation meter (stop laughing- I live downwind from a Nuke plant, and if you knew how to shop, you could have one for $25)

Checked over the equipment I will use for gardening (air filters, lube oil for same) and bought a new chain saw (and spare chain, plus 2 cycle oil and bar lube) Snagged broken bags of limestone at Lowes/Home depot for 1/2 price.

Checked powder and primer inventory (need to grab some more bullseye, and a pound of Trail Boss)

Advantage in having lived in country for a long time- we already HAVE a lot of the durable things we use in ice storm/hurricane/zombie attack season.

Afraid that the mice got into the Bourbon over the winter, need to restock. :p

willshoum 02-21-2011 04:08 AM

Getr done.......

This year we are going to can tomato, pole beans and field peas instead of freezing. And what ever else comes our way. I'm glad you mentioned the propane tanks. also I need to stock up on more 22 lr for hunting. :)

c3shooter 02-21-2011 04:20 AM

Will- stock up on jar lids, and the salt used for canning (we use Kosher salt, no iodine, better for color in canned veggies)

CA357 02-21-2011 04:32 AM

I thought I should mention that I didn't buy all that stuff at once, I have to spread purchases out to stay within our budget.

Tomorrow I'm planning on reorganizing the garage. Over the course of time, things get used, moved and go missing. So, the first thing is to do that.

Then, I'm setting up a Go Box for the Pilot. Some time back, I bought a moderately sized job box for storage. It has wheels on one end for portability. I was keeping bulk dry foods in it, but I've shifted some things around and it's empty. I'll be able to store more emergency/bug out stuff in the cargo area in less space and out of sight.

If I can get that all done, it will have been a good and positive day.

CA357 02-21-2011 04:33 AM

c3, maybe those hard drinkin' mice wandered over from Dave's?

dunerunner 02-21-2011 04:52 AM

Planning on canning some chicken and corned beef next month, albacoreTuna this spring. I purchased two butane single burner stoves and I get the refill bottles when they are run on sale. Regular gas here is $3.19. if I buy it at Safeway, I get $.10 off per gallon. Bought another 45# bag of grain last week but that is for beer for the M&G!! :D

mach1337 02-21-2011 04:27 PM

Got my tax return 2 weeks ago. bought a dehydrator. already made about 2 lbs of jerky and got a bunch of stuff to make dry soup mix out of. bought my upper for my ar(i think it counts a prep).

Maybe you guys can give me some sound advice. Im active duty in CA and really want to start better preps. i know preps should be done over time but you should also have a perminant place to store you stuff. well were movin to VA in about 16 months thanks God. any way what would you do I know i want to spend the rest of my career in VA so im thinking that i should just get what i need to get out if need arises and get to TN where my family is much better prepaired to wait it out or fight untill i get my family moved back to the east coast... suggestions welcome

amoroque 02-21-2011 04:37 PM

Whoa! What? 3.60/gallon! Holy Moly!

I've been slacking lately. I need to get back on track.

CA357 02-21-2011 04:44 PM

Whenever the news gives you the average price of gasoline, just remember that it's always higher in CA due to all the taxes and environads.

Mach, maybe just set up individual BOB's and a GOOD* package for your vehicle.

*Get out of Dodge ;)