what happens after? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum >

what happens after?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2009, 08:10 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2059 Times on 828 Posts
Likes Given: 2706

I'll wear a hat

Old 06-29-2009, 08:23 PM   #12

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3489 Times on 1612 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

All of opaww's genorous showing of himself aside...

I highly doubt we would see a coutnry wide breakdown ALL at the same time. Can I see it happening in stages? Absolutely.

However, if you look at the recent events that caused the world to stop spinning:

The Rodney King Riots
9/11
Katrina

You will see a pattern emerge:

There are the initial dead that happen at the flash point of the event. Those are the people that are killed immediately in the spark that sets the rest in motion.

Then a little bit later you will see people begin to die from the wounds they incurred during that time. These are the people that got hit by falling debris, got initially hurt as the mob rule took over, were hospitalized after sucking in too much of the Mississippi Delta...

Then you will see a further breakdown of the "social" services and people that were sick, or dying, will pass along with the most recent people who were injured and unable to get proper medical attention not after the initial incident happened, but in the weeks afterward.

As the situation outside of ( Insert person's name here ) becomes more grim, they become more aggressive, more desperate and more willing to risk what is considered "unruly" to them now to keep their way of life going.

That may be taking a life, stealing from an elderly, or weak, neighbor, or even abandoning family/friends in the interest of closing ranks and protecting the core.

The human spirit can be broken VERY easily. That is what concerns me the most. Don't believe me?

Take a look at any of the plethora of "Reality" TV shows that are on these days. It's not just the weak members that break, that can't go on, that can't cut back their rations, that can't eat "that" - it's people that you wouldn't think twice of questioning their heart based on their life experiences.

When the line breaks, you don't know who is going to flip out and who is going to hold their mud.

Now, as to whether I think it will happen, I am with bkt. I don't, but I prepare just in case.

When I went to the Cayman's, I had a physical the week before I left. I was 100% and good to go. Turns out the unforeseen had other ideas and I needed emergency surgery.

You just never know - and the worst time to second guess yourself about what you could have done, is AFTER the event that made all the difference...

JD

Old 06-29-2009, 08:25 PM   #13

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by opaww View Post
I'll wear a hat
LOL.....Well, alright, just make sure if you bring any women folk with ya, that's all they are wearing too.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 06-29-2009, 10:50 PM   #14

Liked 191 Times on 130 Posts
Likes Given: 89

Default Gold--no!

I do know that in this scenario, those people who thought gold in hand was the way to prepare will be very surprised to find out that ammo, clothes, tools, food, water will be the new commodities, not gold. Who needs gold? Useless.

Not to say that gold (certificates, shares, etc.) is a bad monetary investment. Just to say that possessing gold will do NO good in a SHTF scenario.

Old 06-30-2009, 03:44 AM   #15

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHLChris View Post
I do know that in this scenario, those people who thought gold in hand was the way to prepare will be very surprised to find out that ammo, clothes, tools, food, water will be the new commodities, not gold. Who needs gold? Useless.

Not to say that gold (certificates, shares, etc.) is a bad monetary investment. Just to say that possessing gold will do NO good in a SHTF scenario.
No argument there, but you forgot pot, drugs, liquor and fuel. Damn, don't any of you guys remember Mad Max?

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 06-30-2009, 08:58 AM   #16
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHLChris View Post

Part of preparing also means having the ability to grow food -- even more than you need -- fix things, mend clothes, etc. So while the local grocery store might have bare shelves, it doesn't necessarily mean you wouldn't be able to get food. This is where having some form of money with intrinsic value could be helpful.

You're right that in an absolute complete societal breakdown, precious metals don't count for squat. But I don't see that happening.

Barter is certainly possible with many things we use daily. But gold and silver used as a medium of exchange makes bartering unnecessary. Along with buying a little gold and a lot of silver, I also have even more ammo, food, water, necessities, and survival supplies.

Old 06-30-2009, 12:21 PM   #17
Administrator
FTF_ADMIN.png

Liked 11025 Times on 4771 Posts
Likes Given: 1812

Couple of stray thoughts here (thought I would get them out before they die of loneliness)

Scenario we are all LIKELY to face is natural disaster- Hurricane, ice storm, tornado, fire, mudslide, plague of frogs, plague of locusts, rivers turning to blood, etc. This will be of limited duration, and SOME elements of normal society will remain (you may not have the cop on the corner, but eventually the National Guard shows up, etc) Key things to have on hand in stable storage will include water (can go a lot longer without food than without water) calories, shelter, information (battery powered radio) and defense.

In the OMG, the SHTF for real- N.Korea hits the US with 3 nukes, and the EMP burns out much of the electronic infrastructure as a f'rinstance- it will be greater both in intensity and duration. In THAT scenario, all of the above- and most importantly- KNOWLEDGE and a PLAN to survive.

PLAN- mutual aid planning with neighbors and family. Don't care if you are Ahnold- you are not gonna stay awake 24 hrs a day. If you are not already living on defensible terrain (in a major city?) have you got a plan to get the hell out of there?

Knowledge- the REAL currency. Yeah, I am a country boy- I can (and do) raise food- and preserve it. I can (and do) make wine. I can (but don't- for all the ATF folks lurking in the shadows) make whiskey. I know how to do carpentry with hand tools, cut firewood, fish, hunt, tan a hide, etc. Am also a fair metalworker, mechanic, gunsmith, etc.

Want to spend a few bucks (not a lot) and have some entertainment? Start building your personal library. Find a used book store, check for USED books at Amazon. The Foxfire series is a good start. Many of Dean Ing's books. Early issues of Mother Earth News. Reader's Digest Back to Basics (if I had only one book, this be it). Caution- this can be addictive, but fairly harmless, not real expensive.

If the SHTF big time, I plan to be the old man of the hills that EVERYONE wants in their bunker.

Old 06-30-2009, 12:27 PM   #18

Liked 2059 Times on 828 Posts
Likes Given: 2706

"The Foxfire series" I thought I was the only earthling to remember these books and read them. Dang we must be related some how.

Old 06-30-2009, 03:18 PM   #19

With the results of this last election, as far as I'm concerned the SHTF has already happened.

Old 06-30-2009, 03:53 PM   #20

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water-Man View Post
With the results of this last election, as far as I'm concerned the SHTF has already happened.
yeah, and there's no sign of the blades being cleaned anytime soon...
Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Newest Threads