what happens after?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > what happens after?

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2009, 03:42 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
jng2985's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 150
Default what happens after?

We all know an SHTF scenario will eventually occur, I'm wondering how everyone see's it panning out afterward?

best case:?
worst case:?

__________________

"complaints are really just others opportunities"

bring back W.

jng2985 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here


Old 06-29-2009, 03:58 PM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 821
Default

It can be anything. I'm just dreding the military/police coming for the weapons.

S.S.

__________________
Shotgun Shooter is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 05:04 PM   #3
bkt
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 6,973
Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jng2985 View Post
We all know an SHTF scenario will eventually occur, I'm wondering how everyone see's it panning out afterward?

best case:?
worst case:?
Given the fragile nature of our economy and monetary situation, pretty much anything could push us over the edge: natural disaster, terror attack, significant problems in Mexico or other parts of Central America, the Middle East, war between Israel and Iran, North Korea...you name it.

Inside of three months of an economic collapse, we may have extreme problems. Scarcity of goods, utilities shut off, law enforcement, firefighters and paramedics AWOL (they have families, too!), and a general shutdown of commerce.

After that, some people will do whatever they feel they must do to survive, including take from others. Other people will be overjoyed at the opportunity to engage in chaotic lawlessness. Those who have food stored, grow food, hunt, have a reliable water supply, and are working within a group to defend what they have will fare better than those who have a penchant for shutting out reality by watching Oprah, The View, American Idol, and any number of other distractions.

Do I think this will happen? Meh. Not really.

Do I think it is possible this could happen? Certainly. That's why I prepare for it.

Do I think I will get really sick soon? No, of course not.

Do I think it is possible I could get really sick soon? Certainly. That's why I carry health insurance.

Best case: it's a systemic but not a severe collapse (the rest of the world carries us) and we get back on our feet in a few months.

Worst case: it's a systemic and severe collapse and the whole world goes down with us so there's no one to turn to for help and it goes on for the better part of a decade.
__________________
bkt is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 05:52 PM   #4
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
IGETEVEN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Tornado \"Just Blow Me\" Alley,Oklahoma U.S.A.
Posts: 8,424
Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkt View Post
Given the fragile nature of our economy and monetary situation, pretty much anything could push us over the edge: natural disaster, terror attack, significant problems in Mexico or other parts of Central America, the Middle East, war between Israel and Iran, North Korea...you name it.

Inside of three months of an economic collapse, we may have extreme problems. Scarcity of goods, utilities shut off, law enforcement, firefighters and paramedics AWOL (they have families, too!), and a general shutdown of commerce.

After that, some people will do whatever they feel they must do to survive, including take from others. Other people will be overjoyed at the opportunity to engage in chaotic lawlessness. Those who have food stored, grow food, hunt, have a reliable water supply, and are working within a group to defend what they have will fare better than those who have a penchant for shutting out reality by watching Oprah, The View, American Idol, and any number of other distractions.

Do I think this will happen? Meh. Not really.

Do I think it is possible this could happen? Certainly. That's why I prepare for it.

Do I think I will get really sick soon? No, of course not.

Do I think it is possible I could get really sick soon? Certainly. That's why I carry health insurance.

Best case: it's a systemic but not a severe collapse (the rest of the world carries us) and we get back on our feet in a few months.

Worst case: it's a systemic and severe collapse and the whole world goes down with us so there's no one to turn to for help and it goes on for the better part of a decade.
All that! And the probability of it actually happening .001684673275 %.
__________________
Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”
IGETEVEN is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 07:04 PM   #5
Moderator
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
c3shooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Third bunker on the right,Central Virginia
Posts: 16,697
Liked 8860 Times on 3838 Posts
Likes Given: 1383

Default

Interesting read- novel called Warday (check used paperback shops or Amazon) story of 2 reporters traveling across what USED to be the US after SHTF. Well written and readable. Bring up a few things I had not considered- like the Canadians. What happens to banking when electronic records go POOF! Multiple weapons (Nuke and Bio)

Interested me in that someone was giving some thought to how things might be AFTER "the day".

__________________

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

c3shooter is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 07:28 PM   #6
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
jwhirl413's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 282
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Default

just picked up "Warday" and I'm looking forward to the read, found it at the library, thanks for the info, i'll let you know what i think

__________________

Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun, You might meet'm both if you show up here not welcome son...


Last edited by jwhirl413; 06-29-2009 at 07:32 PM. Reason: typo
jwhirl413 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 07:43 PM   #7
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 4,900
Liked 2057 Times on 827 Posts
Likes Given: 2706

Default

My being prepared for SHTF is more in line with natural disasters such as Tornados or earth quakes. In so doing it is quickly adapted to some other possibilities.

I have food, water and medicine for 2 weeks, which I cycle so I maintain the freshest stock; I have the means to cook for 2 weeks if we loose electricity. I have adequate warmth if it happens in winter and I can go naked if its summer. I have an adequate amount of weapons and ammo to defend what I have. Outside of that I play it by ear.

__________________
opaww is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 07:50 PM   #8
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
IGETEVEN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Tornado \"Just Blow Me\" Alley,Oklahoma U.S.A.
Posts: 8,424
Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by opaww View Post
My being prepared for SHTF is more in line with natural disasters such as Tornados or earth quakes. In so doing it is quickly adapted to some other possibilities.

I have food, water and medicine for 2 weeks, which I cycle so I maintain the freshest stock; I have the means to cook for 2 weeks if we loose electricity. I have adequate warmth if it happens in winter and I can go naked if its summer. I have an adequate amount of weapons and ammo to defend what I have. Outside of that I play it by ear.
LOL.....Ok, I was with ya till ya said you will go naked in the summer. Please stay over there in KY, if SHTF, cause I do not want to see you running around naked here in Oklahoma, sh!t will be bad enough as it is.
__________________
Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”
IGETEVEN is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 08:02 PM   #9
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 4,900
Liked 2057 Times on 827 Posts
Likes Given: 2706

Default

My bug out location is Oklahoma, this is amazing!!!!!!!

__________________

Last edited by opaww; 06-29-2009 at 08:10 PM.
opaww is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 08:08 PM   #10
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
IGETEVEN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Tornado \"Just Blow Me\" Alley,Oklahoma U.S.A.
Posts: 8,424
Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by opaww View Post
My Bug out location is Oklahoma, this is amazing!!!!!!!
Holy sh!t, at least wear a loin cloth then, when we meet up.
__________________
Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”
IGETEVEN is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes