what happens after?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > what happens after?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2009, 03:42 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default what happens after?

We all know an SHTF scenario will eventually occur, I'm wondering how everyone see's it panning out afterward?

best case:?
worst case:?

"complaints are really just others opportunities"

bring back W.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-29-2009, 03:58 PM   #2

It can be anything. I'm just dreding the military/police coming for the weapons.

S.S.

Old 06-29-2009, 05:04 PM   #3
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Quote:
Originally Posted by jng2985 View Post
We all know an SHTF scenario will eventually occur, I'm wondering how everyone see's it panning out afterward?

best case:?
worst case:?
Given the fragile nature of our economy and monetary situation, pretty much anything could push us over the edge: natural disaster, terror attack, significant problems in Mexico or other parts of Central America, the Middle East, war between Israel and Iran, North Korea...you name it.

Inside of three months of an economic collapse, we may have extreme problems. Scarcity of goods, utilities shut off, law enforcement, firefighters and paramedics AWOL (they have families, too!), and a general shutdown of commerce.

After that, some people will do whatever they feel they must do to survive, including take from others. Other people will be overjoyed at the opportunity to engage in chaotic lawlessness. Those who have food stored, grow food, hunt, have a reliable water supply, and are working within a group to defend what they have will fare better than those who have a penchant for shutting out reality by watching Oprah, The View, American Idol, and any number of other distractions.

Do I think this will happen? Meh. Not really.

Do I think it is possible this could happen? Certainly. That's why I prepare for it.

Do I think I will get really sick soon? No, of course not.

Do I think it is possible I could get really sick soon? Certainly. That's why I carry health insurance.

Best case: it's a systemic but not a severe collapse (the rest of the world carries us) and we get back on our feet in a few months.

Worst case: it's a systemic and severe collapse and the whole world goes down with us so there's no one to turn to for help and it goes on for the better part of a decade.

Old 06-29-2009, 05:52 PM   #4

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkt View Post
Given the fragile nature of our economy and monetary situation, pretty much anything could push us over the edge: natural disaster, terror attack, significant problems in Mexico or other parts of Central America, the Middle East, war between Israel and Iran, North Korea...you name it.

Inside of three months of an economic collapse, we may have extreme problems. Scarcity of goods, utilities shut off, law enforcement, firefighters and paramedics AWOL (they have families, too!), and a general shutdown of commerce.

After that, some people will do whatever they feel they must do to survive, including take from others. Other people will be overjoyed at the opportunity to engage in chaotic lawlessness. Those who have food stored, grow food, hunt, have a reliable water supply, and are working within a group to defend what they have will fare better than those who have a penchant for shutting out reality by watching Oprah, The View, American Idol, and any number of other distractions.

Do I think this will happen? Meh. Not really.

Do I think it is possible this could happen? Certainly. That's why I prepare for it.

Do I think I will get really sick soon? No, of course not.

Do I think it is possible I could get really sick soon? Certainly. That's why I carry health insurance.

Best case: it's a systemic but not a severe collapse (the rest of the world carries us) and we get back on our feet in a few months.

Worst case: it's a systemic and severe collapse and the whole world goes down with us so there's no one to turn to for help and it goes on for the better part of a decade.
All that! And the probability of it actually happening .001684673275 %.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 06-29-2009, 07:04 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8860 Times on 3838 Posts
Likes Given: 1383

Interesting read- novel called Warday (check used paperback shops or Amazon) story of 2 reporters traveling across what USED to be the US after SHTF. Well written and readable. Bring up a few things I had not considered- like the Canadians. What happens to banking when electronic records go POOF! Multiple weapons (Nuke and Bio)

Interested me in that someone was giving some thought to how things might be AFTER "the day".

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 06-29-2009, 07:28 PM   #6

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 13

just picked up "Warday" and I'm looking forward to the read, found it at the library, thanks for the info, i'll let you know what i think

Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun, You might meet'm both if you show up here not welcome son...

Last edited by jwhirl413; 06-29-2009 at 07:32 PM. Reason: typo

Old 06-29-2009, 07:43 PM   #7

Liked 2057 Times on 827 Posts
Likes Given: 2706

My being prepared for SHTF is more in line with natural disasters such as Tornados or earth quakes. In so doing it is quickly adapted to some other possibilities.

I have food, water and medicine for 2 weeks, which I cycle so I maintain the freshest stock; I have the means to cook for 2 weeks if we loose electricity. I have adequate warmth if it happens in winter and I can go naked if its summer. I have an adequate amount of weapons and ammo to defend what I have. Outside of that I play it by ear.

Old 06-29-2009, 07:50 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by opaww View Post
My being prepared for SHTF is more in line with natural disasters such as Tornados or earth quakes. In so doing it is quickly adapted to some other possibilities.

I have food, water and medicine for 2 weeks, which I cycle so I maintain the freshest stock; I have the means to cook for 2 weeks if we loose electricity. I have adequate warmth if it happens in winter and I can go naked if its summer. I have an adequate amount of weapons and ammo to defend what I have. Outside of that I play it by ear.
LOL.....Ok, I was with ya till ya said you will go naked in the summer. Please stay over there in KY, if SHTF, cause I do not want to see you running around naked here in Oklahoma, sh!t will be bad enough as it is.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

Old 06-29-2009, 08:02 PM   #9

Liked 2057 Times on 827 Posts
Likes Given: 2706

My bug out location is Oklahoma, this is amazing!!!!!!!

Last edited by opaww; 06-29-2009 at 08:10 PM.

Old 06-29-2009, 08:08 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by opaww View Post
My Bug out location is Oklahoma, this is amazing!!!!!!!
Holy sh!t, at least wear a loin cloth then, when we meet up.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!