What are going to be the new currencies? - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > What are going to be the new currencies?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2012, 04:42 PM   #31
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1305 Times on 849 Posts
Likes Given: 2739

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniper762 View Post
i hate to disappoint you guys but the SHTF senario you guys speak of is a hyperthetical situation that could never occur.
today's society is so advanced and crafty that a reversal of that magnatude would be highly unlikely.
I agree that a sudden over night total collapse of everything would be extremely unlikely, but still possible. However, I do think a gradual decline over time is almost certain. Our society is structured on cheap energy, and we are burning through it pretty quick. The average vegetable in the supermarket has traveled over 1500 miles to reach your kitchen. I can't imagine that being sustainable for very long? I was looking at fresh fish yesterday in the supermarket and it was all from China (I didn't buy any). The bottom line is we waste a lot of energy. Now figure in how much the worlds population is expected to grow by 2050 and what that will do to energy demands and prices.

As for the U.S. look at our current debt, spending habits, lack of employment, and the general direction of the government. We are heading towards bankruptcy. The only way to stop that is to cut back on spending, but then that's a whole other can of worms.

For me personally the future isn't looking that bright, and the very least anyone can say is that there is a lot of uncertainty. Almost anyone can loose their job at any time, and this isn't a good time to suddenly be looking for a new job. As a result, I think social unrest is going to increasingly get bad assuming the economy gets worse and energy prices increase. That in turn is going to create more uncertainty.

I'm using this time to become as self sufficient as possible so that I'm not as affected by changes in the economy. I also think that being self sufficient creates a higher standard of living (the food I grow tastes better than anything I buy). So I'm preparing for an uncertain future. Part of that involves preparing for the worst case scenario. I don't think anyone can be prepared for a complete break down, but I can be as prepared as possible. My reasoning is that if I'm somewhat prepared for a worst case, then something not so drastic will be much easier to deal with.

Odds of me ever needing to be prepared for a complete break down are extremely small. Odds of me needing to be somewhat self sufficient because I'm out of work and can't find a decent job are extremely high. As for what's going to happen in between, that is anyone's guess? At least that's my .02
Old 07-08-2012, 04:45 PM   #32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

This would be technical difficulties.

Last edited by TLuker; 07-08-2012 at 04:59 PM.

Old 07-08-2012, 04:55 PM   #33
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Now if I can figure out how to delete a message?

Last edited by TLuker; 07-08-2012 at 04:58 PM.