What are going to be the new currencies? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > What are going to be the new currencies?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2012, 03:45 AM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 14 Times on 8 Posts

some good items listed. I'm thinking some small freeze-dried food packets would be best to have along as barter fodder. thanks.

Old 07-03-2012, 04:32 AM   #12

Liked 61 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Don't bet on T. Boone Pickens. T.Boone spent billions on wind mills. He was going to make electric with wind. And man does T. Boone have the wind. These wind mills are piled up junk some where in Texas. Yep, he found out that there was not enough transmisson lines to carry the electric. Now if he is so damn smart he would have checked before he wrote the check. Hell, I would have prefered to have bet on Col. Sanders, he tied up the fried chicken empire. Now if the old Col. had failed he would not have had to eat crow.

Old 07-03-2012, 04:51 AM   #13

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

It could possibly be bottlecaps since that is the trend in post apocalypse video games. All it has to be is something that everyone can agree on and since that is in the minds of the youth it might as well be the new currency.

Old 07-03-2012, 05:04 AM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1726 Times on 897 Posts
Likes Given: 3651

Gold, silver, and copper (maybe even lead) will win out for currency.

Old 07-03-2012, 05:21 AM   #15

When the leadership of any nation fails its median of exchange becomes worthless. It has happened before.

Old 07-03-2012, 05:35 AM   #16

Liked 36 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Ol Boone may be in the power line business now, they are putting in major power lines all over here. If you come up 54 or 56, you will drive by at least 40 miles of generators once you get east of 83. Thousands and thousands of them. Ol Boone may have saved his bacon and got rid of those. There is a major transmission line that essentially comes up 183 from near Liberal, KS to somewhere in Nebraska and hooks into another line to supply juice to locations East. It comes right by here. We are talking cables the size of ball bats.....big juice.

NRA Life
Whittington Center Life
Times are tough, ammo is expensive, there will be no warning shots.

Old 07-03-2012, 05:52 AM   #17

Yep the last time I was in Dodge City they had hundreds east of town. I hate those Damn ugly load things. I look east from my place across the Butte Country and on a clear day you can see those Hippie Mixmasters. Hell the elk migration has been forced along I-80 and the trucks are killing more elk than the hunters. The only good thing is the wind mills kill the hell out of those damn eagles. Maybe our Sage Grouse can make a come back.

Old 07-03-2012, 11:14 AM   #18
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8868 Times on 3841 Posts
Likes Given: 1383

Quote:
‘Currency’ does not get used up. It remains somewhere, no matter how often it is traded. Its only use is as a repository of value that can be more easily traded and exchanged for things that can be used or used up.
NAILED it! Yes, I can trade you sage, salt, and red pepper for sausage, and you can trade me a gun repair for a dozen eggs- but that is barter.

Currency- look at the definition of fungible. It serves as a SYMBOL of value that is more portable than the items that it buys or sells. It is durable, is not consumed, and you cannot easily or readily make a fake version (reason that counterfeiting used to be a capital crime)

Fiat currency (it has value only because we SAY it has value) may go away, but the other things we USE as currency (gold, silver, copper, gems) will remain in use as such. No, ya can't eat silver dollars. You also cannot put 5 barrels of flour in your pocket and walk around with it.

In the discussions of TEOTWAWKI, I tend to look at the world's WORST piece of crap cultures- and yes, there IS still a culture, even at Stone Age levels. Afghanistan, back in the Kush. Africa, away from the cities. Serbia. The steppes of Siberia. What gets used as currency? Rare items that do not rust, rot, or get consumed. In other words, precious metals and gems.

Yes, I know the saying in Spanish- "Plata o Plomo" (Silver or lead) Yes, you can be the bandit, and take what you want by force. THAT has usually been the forming point for societies- either the bandit BECOMES the governing body (Scottish clans) or people join together to squash the bandit.

Look at the small towns when the American West was being settled. What were the hallmarks of a decent town? Merchants (and bars)- sure. A post office and telegraph office- yep- communication. School- maybe. But the way you knew that you had a town and not a collection of buildings- you had a BANK. A place to store and exchange tokens of worth.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

m72law Likes This 
Old 07-03-2012, 11:17 AM   #19
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8868 Times on 3841 Posts
Likes Given: 1383

Note to Durango- a genuine Confederate States of America $100 bill, in VG condition, is worth about $100 US today.

Question to be considered- is that because the Confederate currency is worth more than it used to be- or because the US dollar is worth less?

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 07-03-2012, 06:39 PM   #20

Liked 11 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 22

I have safely stockpiled many boxes of wooden matches. In the event of a "worst case scenario" when there is no electricity, gas lines or any modern means to make fire, it will be back to the primitive means of firemaking. Offering to trade a few wooden, strike anywhere, matches to someone who is constantly trying to make a fire with a bowdrill or similar archaic method should allow you to be in demand. Just my opinion.