Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Survival & Sustenance Living Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f51/)
-   -   What are going to be the new currencies? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f51/what-going-new-currencies-67434/)

Popgun 07-01-2012 07:44 PM

What are going to be the new currencies?

When "it" happens I think it's most likely going to start in phases.

First, there will be a shut-down in our electrical/internet infrastructure making credit cards of no use; the new currency will be "cash only".

As the economies collapse, monies will be of lesser and lesser value making other things like gold and silver the new currency.

When people find that they can't eat or drink gold or silver, food stuffs and water will be the new currency.

We all had better be hunkered-down by this point, but there still may be a need to barter with people for some things. What are some ideas for other "currency items" that a person might want to have on hand when we get to this point?

PanBaccha 07-01-2012 07:53 PM

When you see the likes of T. Boone Pickens, oil tycoon billionaire, suddenly pour his interest and investments into accumulating mass amounts of water.
You know you don't need a crystal ball to see into the not-too-distant future on what might very well become the new currency. Water!

Vincine 07-01-2012 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Popgun (Post 855514)
. . . . .When people find that they can't eat or drink gold or silver, food stuffs and water will be the new currency. . . . .

I disagree. Food is perishable and water is heavy. So PMs (actual, not paper) will be continue to be useful as a currency, among other stable, portable, low weight, high value items.

hiwall 07-01-2012 09:18 PM

I think what many of us expect is ammo used for barter but often just the bullet section.

TLuker 07-01-2012 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hiwall (Post 855615)
I think what many of us expect is ammo used for barter but often just the bullet section.

That's what I was thinking. The new currency if the SHTF would be lead.

Sniper03 07-01-2012 09:39 PM

Here is a list of currency that will end up being barter items from my view!

Cash Only at first
Water
Water Purification Products
Toilet Paper
Soap
Guns
Ammunition
Weapon Cleaning Supplies
Weapon Spare Parts
Reloading Components
Gasoline
Kerosene
Light Bulbs
Generators
Plant Seeds (Tomatoes-Potatoes-Corn-others)
Rice
Beans
Fishing Tackle
Blankets
Warm Clothing, Boots, Gloves
*Electricity if available as well as LP Gas may or may not be
available? And probably will not as the seriousness increases
and who could afford them?

Vincine 07-01-2012 11:48 PM

I think people are confusing ‘Barter Items’ with ‘Currency’. Soap, gas, water, etc., are items people use, can be used up, and thus, will disappear. ‘Currency’ does not get used up. It remains somewhere, no matter how often it is traded. Its only use is as a repository of value that can be more easily traded and exchanged for things that can be used or used up. It’s possible ammunition may function as a currency at some point. I supposed their value will depend on how much of it is around and how many firearms are around that use that specific caliber.

I don't believe cash would be very useful for long.

BigByrd47119 07-02-2012 12:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vincine
I think people are confusing ‘Barter Items’ with ‘Currency’. Soap, gas, water, etc., are items people use, can be used up, and thus, will disappear. ‘Currency’ does not get used up. It remains somewhere, no matter how often it is traded. Its only use is as a repository of value that can be more easily traded and exchanged for things that can be used or used up. It’s possible ammunition may function as a currency at some point. I supposed their value will depend on how much of it is around and how many firearms are around that use that their specific caliber.

I don't believe cash would be very useful for long.

I think this is probably just about spot on.

It really depends on just how deep of a SHTF scenario we are talking about.

Hystorically speaking, I would expect gold and silver to stay relevant simply because they always have been. In addition, look for things like salt to become a form of trade so common that it could be considered currency (as it once was).

partdeux 07-02-2012 01:45 AM

just saw this today...
http://webofdebt.wordpress.com/2012/07/01/government-by-the-banks-for-the-banks-the-esm-coup-detat-in-europe/

Vincine 07-02-2012 02:14 AM

What I don't get is why Germany hasn't decided to leave the Euro.