What do you think when you see the word Survival?

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > What do you think when you see the word Survival?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2009, 07:15 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2058 Times on 827 Posts
Likes Given: 2706

Default What do you think when you see the word Survival?

The gambit is run for thought when one sees the word survival and depending on one attitude about the subject it can range from one extreme to another. I watched a special on TV back in the 80’s about survivalists where reporters interviewed several survivalists, photographing their compounds and such.

They ranged from the poor mans survival retreat which the small building was made out of tin, probably about 15’x15’ which one family had built on top of a little mesa in the hills of S. Ca. to the extravagant remolded Missile silo that a rich engineer had bought and fixed up.

Most times no one thinks of every day survival, such as making it to your car at night at the far end of the almost deserted parking lot after you worked 5 hours of overtime trying to get your bosses report done two weeks ahead of schedule. Or possibly trying to survive a birthday party for the next-door neighbors 5-year-old brat. We all know a brat that needs to be taken out to the back yard and hung up by their ears on the cloths line. How about that night out with the Boys where you drank way too much and wake up in the morning with a hang over that you are just sure it is the end of the world?

The point here is that everyday survival may not be glamour’s and sometime not much news worthy but it is survival we face nonetheless. Not all survival is an end of mankind as we know it, but the vast majority is faced on a daily basses. With this said I would like to hear about encounters one has had with the bag guys and you survived. Or other survival types that maybe we tend to just over look.

opaww

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-08-2009, 02:33 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9424 Times on 4061 Posts
Likes Given: 1479

Due entirely to Pavlovian Conditioning, the word Survival in inextricably linked to the words Evasion and Escape.

But that was long, long ago. In a galaxy far, far away........

Seriously, to me it means being in an environment hostile to you, and knowing how to adapt to that environment. Most stringent I have been thru was a military Arctic survival course- at Ft Greeley Alaska. The whole snow cave/ snow blindness/ extreme temperature thing. Was challenging, entertaining (did not quite make it to the enjoyable category). You DO learn things about yourself.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 07-08-2009, 02:35 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Due entirely to Pavlovian Conditioning, the word Survival in inextricably linked to the words Evasion and Escape.

Seriously, to me it means being in an environment hostile to you, and knowing how to adapt to that environment. Most stringent I have been thru was a military Arctic survival course- at Ft Greeley Alaska. The whole snow cave/ snow blindness/ extreme temperature thing. Was challenging, entertaining (did not quite make it to the enjoyable category). You DO learn things about yourself.
+10

Basically, survival means living off the outdoors, whatever the climate it is.

S.S.

Old 07-08-2009, 03:37 AM   #4

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:

Indeed, now add Glacier Ice training, S.E.R.E School and Pathfinder School and you have a well rounded survival training package.

Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 07-08-2009, 05:15 AM   #5

There's survival every single day. A big one is avoiding the idiot drivers who don't need to own a car.

I guess what I see when i hear the word "survival" depends on the times and current events. Like in FL before hurricanes people get a little crazy with gas, water, canned food, etc. So you must survive the storm before the storm as well.

Thinking of it today, It makes me wonder what I'll do in an SHTF situation..Where will I go, Who will I go with, weaponry, ammo, food, water, etc. etc.

"complaints are really just others opportunities"

bring back W.

Old 07-08-2009, 05:30 AM   #6

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I think of zombies.

Then again, I'm one of a kind.

"This is not about land or money...but the one thing that no man should never be able to take from another man: the freedom to make his own choices about his life, where he'll live, how he'll live, how he'll raise his family. "

William Travis, The Alamo: 13 Days to Glory

Old 07-08-2009, 01:40 PM   #7

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubergopher View Post
I think of zombies.

Then again, I'm one of a kind.
I'm not kidding when I say I was thinking the same thing!

When I saw the title of this thread, I thought, "Zombies".

Your definitely not one of a kind. I'm sure there are plenty of others on this site who think the same as us.

Lets not turn this into another zombie thread though.

Quote:
Seriously, to me it means being in an environment hostile to you, and knowing how to adapt to that environment.
+1 all day.

Old 07-08-2009, 03:06 PM   #8

When I think of survival, I think of protecting and providing for my family and myself. If that means going to work everyday, then that's a form of survival. The extreme would mean taking any means necessary to protect my family to ensure they would continue to live. I think survival = life, plain and simple, whether it be hard or easy.

‘‘Among the many misdeeds of the British rule in India, history will look upon the act of depriving a whole nation of arms, as the blackest.’’
— Mahatma Ghandi, "Gandhi, An Autobiography", page 446

Old 07-08-2009, 04:49 PM   #9

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I get kind of happy. If I am having to survive, that means the rest of the country is doing it too. The difference is that I was born for it

Old 07-08-2009, 05:01 PM   #10

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ineffable View Post
I get kind of happy. If I am having to survive, that means the rest of the country is doing it too. The difference is that I was born for it
LOL....I'll race ya!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”