Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Survival & Sustenance Living Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f51/)
-   -   What do you think when you see the word Survival? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f51/what-do-you-think-when-you-see-word-survival-15497/)

opaww 07-07-2009 06:15 PM

What do you think when you see the word Survival?

The gambit is run for thought when one sees the word survival and depending on one attitude about the subject it can range from one extreme to another. I watched a special on TV back in the 80’s about survivalists where reporters interviewed several survivalists, photographing their compounds and such.

They ranged from the poor mans survival retreat which the small building was made out of tin, probably about 15’x15’ which one family had built on top of a little mesa in the hills of S. Ca. to the extravagant remolded Missile silo that a rich engineer had bought and fixed up.

Most times no one thinks of every day survival, such as making it to your car at night at the far end of the almost deserted parking lot after you worked 5 hours of overtime trying to get your bosses report done two weeks ahead of schedule. Or possibly trying to survive a birthday party for the next-door neighbors 5-year-old brat. We all know a brat that needs to be taken out to the back yard and hung up by their ears on the cloths line. How about that night out with the Boys where you drank way too much and wake up in the morning with a hang over that you are just sure it is the end of the world?

The point here is that everyday survival may not be glamour’s and sometime not much news worthy but it is survival we face nonetheless. Not all survival is an end of mankind as we know it, but the vast majority is faced on a daily basses. With this said I would like to hear about encounters one has had with the bag guys and you survived. Or other survival types that maybe we tend to just over look.

opaww

c3shooter 07-08-2009 01:33 AM

Due entirely to Pavlovian Conditioning, the word Survival in inextricably linked to the words Evasion and Escape.

But that was long, long ago. In a galaxy far, far away........:rolleyes:

Seriously, to me it means being in an environment hostile to you, and knowing how to adapt to that environment. Most stringent I have been thru was a military Arctic survival course- at Ft Greeley Alaska. The whole snow cave/ snow blindness/ extreme temperature thing. Was challenging, entertaining (did not quite make it to the enjoyable category). You DO learn things about yourself.

Shotgun Shooter 07-08-2009 01:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c3shooter (Post 126210)
Due entirely to Pavlovian Conditioning, the word Survival in inextricably linked to the words Evasion and Escape.

Seriously, to me it means being in an environment hostile to you, and knowing how to adapt to that environment. Most stringent I have been thru was a military Arctic survival course- at Ft Greeley Alaska. The whole snow cave/ snow blindness/ extreme temperature thing. Was challenging, entertaining (did not quite make it to the enjoyable category). You DO learn things about yourself.

+10

Basically, survival means living off the outdoors, whatever the climate it is.

S.S.

IGETEVEN 07-08-2009 02:37 AM

Quote:

Indeed, now add Glacier Ice training, S.E.R.E School and Pathfinder School and you have a well rounded survival training package. :D

Jack

jng2985 07-08-2009 04:15 AM

There's survival every single day. A big one is avoiding the idiot drivers who don't need to own a car.

I guess what I see when i hear the word "survival" depends on the times and current events. Like in FL before hurricanes people get a little crazy with gas, water, canned food, etc. So you must survive the storm before the storm as well.

Thinking of it today, It makes me wonder what I'll do in an SHTF situation..Where will I go, Who will I go with, weaponry, ammo, food, water, etc. etc.

Ubergopher 07-08-2009 04:30 AM

I think of zombies.

Then again, I'm one of a kind.

dnthmn2004 07-08-2009 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ubergopher (Post 126292)
I think of zombies.

Then again, I'm one of a kind.

I'm not kidding when I say I was thinking the same thing!

When I saw the title of this thread, I thought, "Zombies".

Your definitely not one of a kind. I'm sure there are plenty of others on this site who think the same as us.

Lets not turn this into another zombie thread though.:rolleyes:

Quote:

Seriously, to me it means being in an environment hostile to you, and knowing how to adapt to that environment.

+1 all day.

kodiak1973 07-08-2009 02:06 PM

When I think of survival, I think of protecting and providing for my family and myself. If that means going to work everyday, then that's a form of survival. The extreme would mean taking any means necessary to protect my family to ensure they would continue to live. I think survival = life, plain and simple, whether it be hard or easy.

user4 07-08-2009 03:49 PM

I get kind of happy. If I am having to survive, that means the rest of the country is doing it too. The difference is that I was born for it

IGETEVEN 07-08-2009 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ineffable (Post 126404)
I get kind of happy. If I am having to survive, that means the rest of the country is doing it too. The difference is that I was born for it

LOL....I'll race ya! ;)