What do you think when you see the word militia? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > What do you think when you see the word militia?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2009, 05:02 AM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1176 Times on 511 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

I said watch my six, not perform unnatural acts.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 07-10-2009, 08:41 PM   #12

Liked 18 Times on 12 Posts

When I hear the word 'militia', I think of "Metal Militia" by Metallica.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 07-10-2009, 09:20 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

I think of the National Guard as they're the states' militias. They're also the only federally recognized militias. Others generally have ties to unsavory groups like the Aryan Nation and the like.

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 07-10-2009, 09:26 PM   #14

Liked 34 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I think of a loosely organized, well regulated citizens army made up of 100% volunteers, as were the Revolutionary War Militias, as the Constitution and Second Amendment describe.

Old 07-10-2009, 09:41 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5738 Times on 3362 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

I think of the Second Amendment (free app for the iphone or ipod touch).

However, a buddy in Memphis asked me if i was "joining a militia" when i sent him an e-pic of my SKS after adding the tapco stuff. The Olive Drab stock probably threw him off.

Old 07-11-2009, 04:09 AM   #16

Liked 143 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 766

i think of the movie ''The Patriot''...not the first one...but the one with mel gibson...& metallica's kill'em all album...would make for one badazz soundtrack in that movie..heck...any movie...even steal magnolias

Old 07-11-2009, 04:16 AM   #17

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Ummm.... I think ragtag. No offense to any national guard guys, just the first word that comes to mind. I don't just think of Americas militias. Historically, America's militias are inexperienced and awesomely equipped, unlike combat units such as the airborne or the rangers. I think of the butcher, the baker, the candlestick maker in BDUs looking nervous. But I also think of myself because if the call came I would probably go and fight, parents permission or not. Would I do much good? I don't know. If I was thrown into a unit, maybe. If not, then probably not. I'm not rambo...

Amendment 2 - Right to Bear Arms. Ratified 12/15/1791. Note

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Old 07-11-2009, 04:17 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by m72law View Post
i think of the movie ''The Patriot''...not the first one...but the one with mel gibson...& metallica's kill'em all album...would make for one badazz soundtrack in that movie..heck...any movie...even steal magnolias
Dude, I was thinking the exact same thing.

Old 07-11-2009, 11:04 AM   #19
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

The word militia, to me, means an unorganized (i.e. does not receive state or federal funds in any way) group of individuals who train as infantry. Support/logistics personnel would be part of the militia, too.

Media and anti-gun idiots have done a really good job over the decades of turning the word "militia" into something bad. Most unorganized militias are not about white supremacy or hating Jews. Check out this July 4th speech:
and
. Does this guy seem screwed up to you?

Similarly, survivalist has been made into a dirty word. It invokes images of BDU-clad paranoids living in a dusty Montana compound surrounded by a mine field. That's wrong. A survivalist today is anyone who takes steps to mitigate any disaster by storing food and water, consumables like soap, toothpaste, etc, having a garden with several different types of veggies, having a generator, storing fuel for it and for vehicles, collecting rain water or making use of a well or spring, having a bug-out bag and a bug-out location, paying off your debt and not incurring more debt, and a good deal more. Being a survivalist isn't about waiting for the Zombie Apocalypse (not that that doesn't have its appeal). And it isn't about living in fear. It's about taking easy steps now that can address a range of potential disasters so you don't need to panic later.

I'd like to plug James Wesley Rawles' book "Patriots" as well. Also, if you're an ipod user, check out The Survival Podcast.

Old 07-11-2009, 11:11 AM   #20

Liked 2059 Times on 828 Posts
Likes Given: 2706

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkt View Post
The word militia, to me, means an unorganized (i.e. does not receive state or federal funds in any way) group of individuals who train as infantry. Support/logistics personnel would be part of the militia, too.

Media and anti-gun idiots have done a really good job over the decades of turning the word "militia" into something bad. Most unorganized militias are not about white supremacy or hating Jews. Check out this July 4th speech: part one and part two. Does this guy seem screwed up to you?

Similarly, survivalist has been made into a dirty word. It invokes images of BDU-clad paranoids living in a dusty Montana compound surrounded by a mine field. That's wrong. A survivalist today is anyone who takes steps to mitigate any disaster by storing food and water, consumables like soap, toothpaste, etc, having a garden with several different types of veggies, having a generator, storing fuel for it and for vehicles, collecting rain water or making use of a well or spring, having a bug-out bag and a bug-out location, paying off your debt and not incurring more debt, and a good deal more. Being a survivalist isn't about waiting for the Zombie Apocalypse (not that that doesn't have its appeal). And it isn't about living in fear. It's about taking easy steps now that can address a range of potential disasters so you don't need to panic later.

I'd like to plug James Wesley Rawles' book "Patriots" as well. Also, if you're an ipod user, check out The Survival Podcast.
Well put and I agree