Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Survival & Sustenance Living Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f51/)
-   -   What do you think of when you hear shtf (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f51/what-do-you-think-when-you-hear-shtf-106855/)

CaseyChadwell 05-08-2014 12:19 PM

What do you think of when you hear shtf

Just curious, what's your thought of a shtf scenario? With me living in Kentucky, I think of a bad tornado or some other kind of natural disaster, maybe even an earthquake. That's the reasons I am putting together my bobs...something I could grab in a hurry and make my way to a friends property out in the sticks.

eatmydust 05-08-2014 12:38 PM

I think of a natural disaster or, just as likely, an unnatural disaster caused by the idiots in DC.

Donn 05-08-2014 12:40 PM

No offense Casey, but when I hear/see SHTF, I think of the endless number of threads on the subject, here and in other forums. Can it happen? Of course, but it hasn't yet. I knew people who were convinced Y2K would be it. MHO? There are too many variables, you don't know how it'll go down, where you'll be, on and on. Bottom line, unless you're already off the grid, in the hinterlands with all your provisions, chances of getting out are extremely slim. Ever see pictures of highways out of town when a hurricane's headed in? Good luck making it anywhere.

WebleyFosbery38 05-08-2014 12:42 PM

I knows it when I sees it. My head would be asked to answer questions like------

If you were neck deep in Sh!t, would you duck if someone whipped a turd at your face?

willshoum 05-08-2014 12:47 PM

Depends...............

It's better to be prepared.............Hurricanes don't scare me, but the future does....................I'm staying put till the waters recede..................;)

Airborne1 05-08-2014 12:54 PM

To me what SHTF would mean could be a couple of different things.
But both of them would end up with somewhat the same circumstances. That would be the fact that it will be tough to find any food or water to get us through the days. And people everywhere foraging for those items in my home. Of course you will not be able to get any gas to bug out either, so it would be wise to keep enough on hand to at least be able to fill your tank so that you can get to your bug out location. Even if you are not going anywhere it would be wise to keep that same amount on hand just in case you decided later you need to try and drive somewhere. You would need to also keep using that gas up now and then, and replace it with some fresh gas maybe every 6 to 7 months. I know they ay that it will last around a year, but I would not want the SHTF and get caught with something that could plug up my injectors.

Eagle1803 05-08-2014 12:54 PM

Total grid failure against the US because some towel head hacked the system. In 2013 the documentary American Blackout aired on the discovery channel about what would happen to America.....It was interesting but terrible at the same time.

The Media didn't even Air its thoughts...humm go figure:D

chloeshooter 05-08-2014 01:07 PM

I imagine that when the 's hits t fan', my guns and ammo will be of little or no practical use to me at all. It would be something way, way out of our control (weather/inter-stellar catastrophe, super-volcano, etc) where we all go belly up in a short period of time

I don't imagine my firearms in a 'shtf' role. I think of them in self-defense terms, hunting and for recreation. If I ever have to go off the grid, my guns would serve me well. As would my hatchet, and buck knife, and other tools. I don't have the ammo nor the training for organized armed combat so I do not kid myself about these things

therewolf 05-08-2014 01:09 PM

I've become tired of waiting for SHTF. Really, they've been scaring

us, with this hackneyed, corny old wives tale, like scaring the

grandchildren with the boogeyman. And, like a bunch of Rubes,

we've dutifully bought all the half-rusted barbed wire, milsurp

canteens and gas masks, and "5-year food supplies" they've

trotted by us, for OVER 50 YEARS.

Well, folks, it's never going to happen. And for a very simple

reason:

Because there's no profit in it for those folks who are growing rich

selling us all that crap, who, BTW, are sipping Mint Juleps, in some

aristocratic garden spot in the world, like Martha's Vineyard, and

laughing at us...

chloeshooter 05-08-2014 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by therewolf (Post 1572234)
I've become tired of waiting for SHTF. Really, they've been scaring

us, with this hackneyed, corny old wives tale, like scaring the

grandchildren with the boogeyman. And, like a bunch of Rubes,

we've dutifully bought all the half-rusted barbed wire, milsurp

canteens and gas masks, and "5-year food supplies" they've

trotted by us, for OVER 50 YEARS.

Well, folks, it's never going to happen. And for a very simple

reason:

Because there's no profit in it for those folks who are growing rich

selling us all that crap, who, BTW, are sipping Mint Juleps, in some

aristocratic garden spot in the world, like Martha's Vineyard, and

laughing at us...

so, I can stop saving my urine? AWESOME! I am gonna have some serious freezer space!