Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Survival & Sustenance Living Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f51/)
-   -   What do you bring to the table? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f51/what-do-you-bring-table-45111/)

CA357 07-13-2011 02:31 AM

What do you bring to the table?

The Plan B thread got into what we can bring to the table, not just what we expect from others. I think everyone here brings arms and ammo as well as the basic survival supplies of life, so that's not what this is about. We'll take that stuff as a given.

So, in light of that, what do you bring to the dance? What are your weak areas?

Me, I'm still a pretty good carpenter. I'm a handy guy that can fix and figure out many repairs. I can also lay brick or stone. I'm levelheaded, have plain ol' common sense and can stay pretty calm in a storm. I'm organized and a good planner.

My weak areas: While I'm mechanical, I am at a loss with auto mechanics and electrical and electronics baffle me.

c3shooter 07-13-2011 02:43 AM

Able to raise and preserve food, basic electrical systems, including motors and generators, metal working (machining and basic blacksmithing) chemistry, beer, wine, and distilling, EMT level medical, carpentry, masonry, making cordage, textiles, trapping and tanning furs, and a great cook and a good dancer.

CA357 07-13-2011 02:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c3shooter (Post 540097)
Able to raise and preserve food, basic electrical systems, including motors and generators, metal working (machining and basic blacksmithing) chemistry, beer, wine, and distilling, EMT level medical, carpentry, masonry, making cordage, textiles, trapping and tanning furs, and a great cook and a good dancer.

What are your weak areas? That's the other part of the equation.

doctherock 07-13-2011 04:20 AM

My weak area is dealing with we are doomed attitudes. It brings the moral down and people are less productive.

I bring an extensive knowledge of auto and heavy equipment mechanic knowledge. I can repair and troubleshoot engine and electrical systems and repair both. I am good with a gun in tense situations I become an animal. I also have a medical background as a firefighter.

Ploofy 07-13-2011 05:08 AM

Basic medical knowledge, advanced nautical knowledge, a pretty huge amount of outdoors knowledge, decent amount of carpentry (nothing fancy), accuracy limited only by the gun and the ammo at any reasonable distance, unwavering discipline.

Bad things...I don't play well with others, get a little competitive sometimes, and often take unneeded risks.

doctherock 07-13-2011 05:10 AM

I guess I should mention I have a knack for raising livestock as well.

russ 07-13-2011 06:14 AM

I'm a pretty fair mechanic, welder, fabricator. OK at carpentry, plumbing, and electrical. I have good problem solving skills, given enough time to think.

Weak areas, well I tend to get overwhelmed and freeze up if the problem is too big for me to wrap my head around. I'm also lazy and a procrastinator. But at least I'm impatient. Oh and I'm terribly out of shape. TMI? Probably... :D

Forgot to add I was an EMT for a while, so I guess I'd call that advanced first aid.

BlindOldMan 07-13-2011 06:50 AM

I have first aid skills (former Red Cross instructor), decent knowledge of chemistry (have made penicillin, beer, soap, etc. ), can make fishing lures from scraps (aluminum cans, chicken bones and feathers), can operate all sorts of computer equipment (PDP-11, CP/M, Unix, Linux, AIX, MacOS, embedded RTOSs, etc.), can teach mathematics (calculus, trigonometry, statistics), scuba, rock climber. I enjoy camping and if I had more than 3 weeks a year in vacation, I'd spend a lot more time out there. I'm not an expert, but have no problems at all spending a week or two in the SW USA with a 40lb pack worth of stuff. I'm working on halving that 40lbs..

Weak area is definitely gasoline engines. I know the basics but have broken a lot more than I have fixed. Did I tell you about the time I rebuilt a Holley 4-barrel on my '77 Camaro and set the thing on fire?? I also do badly in the heat and need a lot of water.

NOVA 07-13-2011 11:31 AM

Dumpster diving resourceful scavenger - have an eye for useful things other people see as junk. Mechanically inclined. Built an expanding mono-pod for my shotgun using a shower curtain rod and camo-tape. Decent cook - can cook anything. Self proclaimed expert at moderating heated debates. Sense of humor. Can be a team follower or leader. React lightning fast in emergency situations. Green thumb. 13 and a half years US Navy - trained Pinkerton Securty officer (years ago) - can stand sentry duty. Can organize, clean and inventory and store weapons and ammo.

Weakness - I'm overweight - and flat-footed - so I'll go on patrols but don't ask me to run a mile! :D

Cory2 07-13-2011 11:43 AM

Pretty much if it involves working with your hands and isn't art than I can do it relatively well. I have rebuilt more engines than I can remember and as such have gotten quite familiar with working on gasoline engines. I'm pretty good at wiring things together and figuring out how to put things together even if I am unfamiliar with them. Growing up poor taught me to be pretty self sufficient and many "poor man" skills (aka improvising). I know how to make simple steam engines though finding the materials would be difficult.

I know absolutely nothing about computer programming, not html or c+ or anything, can't do any of it. I don't know anything about medical treatment or medicine. I can't weld and I don't know anything about carpentry.