What to do when entering your own house with an intruder inside.. - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum >

What to do when entering your own house with an intruder inside..

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2010, 04:12 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 22 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 15

well similar thing happened to me about a week ago. My girlfriend, her mom, and arrived at her house and I walked to the garage to open it for them to pull the car in. The door to the garage was open and the side door in the garage was pried open ( siding around door all busted up). I grabbed a hatchet off her dads tool chest ( I'm too young to carry) and re-entered the house and cleared all four rooms. They asked what took me so long and I told them, they have been broken into twice before while home and nothing stolen, Also their cars have been broken into and lots of stuff stolen.

I also had an experience with my mom, she manages the community association and their clubhouse was broken into, The security company called her and she had to go down there to turn off the alarm. She called the police woke me up and we went down there. They have had a lot of false alarms but I grabbed my mossberg 590 just in case, it was loaded with birdshot, deadly if they are close enough to harm me but will just hurt em at a distance. We arrived about a minute before the police arrived, When I saw the side window busted in I told my mom to call the police and I got out of the car and scanned the area for movement while the police were on their way. The police arrived and I put the gun in the car, told them what happened and they waited for a k9 unit to clear the building. They told me I did the right thing coming with my mom but told me since it wasn't my property to leave the gun at home next time. honestly though, I would go to jail to protect my mothers life, but i'm glad it never came down to it.

Old 01-13-2010, 05:01 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Don't recall seeing that here. DO recall saying (and seeing) get help when time permits. Even a trained, well equipped LEO will be looking for a backup when trying to clear a building. Strength in numbers. AKA "Fools rush in- experience takes up a good barricade firing position".

Now, my lady or my kids are in there? Would make Jean Claude look like a wuss. My stereo is in there? That can wait.
Okay, admittedly, I tend to be a pessimist. I would, however, be interested in seeing apprehension statistics for incidents where LEO has been called out for home burglary in progress.

Old 01-16-2010, 11:32 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodent.22 View Post
In Virginia you'd better not enter and clear the house yourself, as you had the last opportunity to avoid the confrontation. Shoot someone in this circumstance and you will be charged and also liable to the victim....
Sad but true...

Winston Churchill;If you were my wife,I'd drink it....

Old 01-18-2010, 11:12 PM   #24

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I don't know what I would do. I guess I am lucky that I have an obsessively nosey neighbor to keep an eye on anyone that comes down the road. this is why i have seriously considered buying razor wire.

Old 01-20-2010, 11:50 PM   #25

wow,kudos to you for being rational and quick thinking.i know me and i would have grabbed one of the many weapons in my house and charged which would have been stupid and at best i would have been somebodys girlfriend for 10 yrs after the trial at wost dead,anger control is something ive been working at by the way

Old 01-21-2010, 12:29 AM   #26

Liked 496 Times on 305 Posts
Likes Given: 1624

I'd have probably cleared the house. But it is rare that I come home without my roommates who also carry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
Yea, um, Darin...that's in the Double Secret Bunker. :p
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
Hookers and optics, cheap is usually a warning.

www.loryno.com

Old 02-02-2010, 02:08 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzscubie View Post
Well being my wife and I are the odd balls here (both cops) we would clear the house using the two man concept. However, I would make her take the lead as she is the local po-po and has more authority in this matter than I do (I'm a fed) and besides she is better at report writing than I am and I'm a better shot than she is.
your reply made me laugh. it's very cool that you and your wife are LEOs. Thank you for what you do!

Calle

Old 02-02-2010, 02:24 AM   #28

Liked 40 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGT_Calle View Post
your reply made me laugh. it's very cool that you and your wife are LEOs. Thank you for what you do!
Well you know Sgt Calle, a man's got to know his limitations besides if someone was in our house it would pi** Linda off and trust me you don't want to be in front of my wife if she is pi**ed off.... and has a gun.

I've been a cop for almost 36 years now (1974-present) and Linda for 28 years (I originally thought 26 but she corrected me the other day) so we are just a couple of grumpy old po-po's who can't seem to give it up, Lord we love being on the streets.

Old 02-02-2010, 04:21 AM   #29

Liked 359 Times on 202 Posts
Likes Given: 292

I've only experienced a similar situation one time, and I will say it was no fun. Different circumstances though - as my wife woke me at 2:00 AM saying that she heard a noise downstairs and thinks that someone is in the house.
Our bedrooms are on the second story (daughter's room next to ours) so there is no exit for us unless we go down to the ground floor.

Long story, short.... I decided on clearing the house myself with a flashlight and a 1911 in hand. This culminated with me making my way down to my basement/workshop and nearly injuring myself severely. A sudden loud noise behind me caused me to spin on my heals and immediately click the safety off on my .45 as I prepared to put a double tap into the dark figure hiding under the staircase....

Fortunately I recognized the figure (always be sure of your target - right?) and did NOT pull the trigger. The "intruder" was my 60 gallon vertical air compressor that I was using earlier in the day, and I forgot to turn it off before going upstairs for the night. A slow leak in the air line had caused the compressor to cycle on and off a couple of times during the night, and that is what the wife heard. That may sound funny at first, but when I think about how close I came to puncturing a 60 gal steel tank @ 125 PSI right in front of me......

Even though with our Castle Law (No legal duty to retreat from our homes) I think if there is a next time (God forbid) that we will either hold our ground at the top of the stairs, or try to make it to the front door after calling the pros to come do the job they get paid to do.

Face to face encounters with unknown advancing individuals will be handled immediately and without hesitation however. Of this I am SURE.

Old 02-02-2010, 06:04 AM   #30

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Dude, your sheit tickets made that noise? Is is recycled cardboard? Wouldve been a ballsy, maybe dumb, move to confront a possibly armed attacker hyped on adrenaline, in your own home.

BUT, you always have the upper hand in your home. You know, lights out, where stuff is. I bet you could accurately find what you need with your eyes closed.

good to hear everything was on the up'n'up though. good time to buy a Jiminez 9 to keep in the truck/car.
I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?