What to do when entering your own house with an intruder inside.. - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > What to do when entering your own house with an intruder inside..

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2010, 03:09 AM   #11
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9412 Times on 4056 Posts
Likes Given: 1478

Ya done good (other than the mistake of being armed with a poorly shaped club). Think I might pass on making any announcements- let the arrival of the local LEOS come as a surprise (I LOVE surprises- don't you, boys and girls?) I REALLY hate having to get the carpet guy in to replace the carpet (those stains just DON'T come out, no matter what Billy Mays said about Oxy-Clean) Going in by myself is not only unneeded and foolish, but ups the odds that I will have to replace carpet. Intruder(s?) may chose to take on one aged homeowner (not yet having learned they chose poorly) but may be less inclined to take on a couple of members in blue, accompanied by Rin-Tin-Tin.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 01-12-2010, 04:25 AM   #12
Administrator
FTF_ADMIN.png

Liked 700 Times on 388 Posts
Likes Given: 729

Tough call but can't say I wouldn't do the same even if I was carrying. Not worth the risk to me to sweep the house if you really think someone is inside.

I've swept the house a couple of times from noises I heard that then set the dogs off in the middle of the night though.

Not Registered? Register now! - It's free and helps the community grow.

Old 01-12-2010, 02:37 PM   #13

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Searching and clearing a house is difficult and dangerous. Sending your dog up there is, IMO, careless. Sure, the guy could be not all there and still trying to rifle through your wife's jewelry as the dog charges up behind him. But, he could be not all there and have barricaded himself behind your bed with a shotgun and waited for you (or the dog) to walk into the doorway.

Unless there is something you absolutely have to get (i.e., a loved one), sitting tight and waiting for help is definitely the safest. It sucks to know someone could be loading your TV into a truck while you cower behind your mattress, but it would also suck to be shot by his lookout when you snuck into the living room. The only way I'd even consider it would be if I could somehow flank them, like if I had a way to quietly exit the home frm my bedroom, and sneak around to the entrance they used and ambush them from behind. However, I'd be much more likely to do that if I lived out in the sticks and knew it would take a half hour for the cops to arrive.

Old 01-12-2010, 02:50 PM   #14

Liked 2058 Times on 827 Posts
Likes Given: 2706

I think you made the right choice, except for the yelling, that will let them know the cops are on the way, giving them time to ready how ever they are in a mind too. This could prove life threatning to LEO's who come to clear the house.

I would myself guard the door and if my son is with me he would take the other door until the cops get here

Old 01-12-2010, 03:20 PM   #15

Liked 1423 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Make the call and wait for the entertainment to begin.

Clearing your house when returning home is hunting, not personal defense!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 01-12-2010, 03:20 PM   #16

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Thanks for all your input. I really did consider clearing the place by myself for a second, and then realized that it wasn't a good move (especially without ammo in my rifle). I probably should not have yelled that the police were on the way, because what if they charged down the stairs and were armed? And I should leave the TP on the ground from now on...

Old 01-12-2010, 05:00 PM   #17

I would get back in my car....back onto the road...and wait for the trained professionals. NOTHING in my home is worth my life.

Old 01-12-2010, 07:34 PM   #18

There is a lot of B&E in my area. Unfortunately, instead of just breaking in and stealing, they're also getting violent and trashing the homes, too.

I'm not sure what I would do if I came home and knew someone was inside my house. My first instinct would be to sneak in with my pistol drawn because I have small pets to protect (that some punk would love to F with). On the other hand, I don't want a dead teenager on my conscious for the rest of my life. But, I wouldn't want him getting away and slipping out of the house while I wait for the police, either.

I don't see how covering the exits would help any - I'm a woman and most likely couldn't stop a raging teenager or man from desperately trying to get out after being caught ... I don't think it would be proper to stand at the exit with my gun trained on him because 'I shot him when he attempted to escape' probably wouldn't go over well, and I wouldn't pull my gun without intending to use it.

I suppose just taking your chances with the police and possibly letting the perpetrator get away is the politically correct answer here?

Old 01-13-2010, 01:22 AM   #19

After thinking of what I would do, I have decided that since I do not have a high security safe, just a sheet metal cabinet, I would have to call the national guard and get back a few hundred yards. The idea of my own firearms being used against me is unsettling, my next investment is a gun safe.

If we dont stand together we dont stand a chance. unknown

One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils of the world are to be cured by legislation. Thomas Reed

Old 01-13-2010, 02:07 AM   #20
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9412 Times on 4056 Posts
Likes Given: 1478

Quote:
letting the perpetrator get away is the politically correct answer here?
Don't recall seeing that here. DO recall saying (and seeing) get help when time permits. Even a trained, well equipped LEO will be looking for a backup when trying to clear a building. Strength in numbers. AKA "Fools rush in- experience takes up a good barricade firing position".

Now, my lady or my kids are in there? Would make Jean Claude look like a wuss. My stereo is in there? That can wait.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.