What to do when entering your own house with an intruder inside..
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > What to do when entering your own house with an intruder inside..

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2010, 08:42 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default What to do when entering your own house with an intruder inside..

Several weeks ago my wife and I got back from picking up my Yugo m70ab2 mod that a friend of mine was working on. I pulled up to my house and parked the car. My wife and I went inside and got our dogs to take them for a walk. we got back about 20 minutes later. My wife started to open the back door to go outside again when she heard a thud from upstairs. She had a strange, scared looked on her face and told me what she heard. There was no sign of a forced entry, but based on her look, I decided to investigate and headed up the stairs. The lights were off upstairs. I took no more than 3 steps when I heard a loud thud myself. Well, that did it. I looked at my wife and told her to get the dos (puppies) and get in the car. I locked the back door so whoever was up there couldn't just run out the back, but would have to leave through the front.

I got my Yugo m70 from the trunk and ran back in the house and yelled upstairs that I was calling the police. All of my ammo was upstairs in my closet! So I was basically going to have to bluff them if they came down and confronted me.

The called police with the rifle in one hand and waited in the car with my wife. We were parked directly in front of the house with the engine running, and the lights shinning into our house. I told my wife that we'd wait for the police to show up, but I wanted a good look at whoever would run out the front door. In retrospect, I don't know if that was smart or not.

The first LEO showed up withing 5 minutes. That was pretty quick. He was really nice, and I told him what my wife and I heard. He called for backup. Another officer showed up and they unholstered their pistols and broke out their flashlights. As they cleared the house I felt my heart beating pretty quickly and my wife and I were expecting to hear some gunshots. Well, after a couple of minutes they came back down and said that they did a pretty thorough check, but found nothing. I went back inside with them and we searched the place together.

They were really nice and told me that I did the right thing. "Better safe than sorry". They asked me about my rifle, because I left the case on the couch. I told the officer that all the ammo was upstairs. He said that the rifle would have been a nice club. We laughed and they left. What a great bunch of guys. I made sure to call them as I've been robbed twice in my life as an adult (once at gunpoint, and the other time at knife point), and once as a child. I came face to face with the dude who broke into our house and I was five. That's another story though.

It turns out that the noises that my wife and I heard were the result of a bag of toilet paper falling; once from a shelf above onto the dryer, and then a second time from the dryer onto the floor. What are the odds of this happening? We got a laugh out of it after the fact, but were pretty freaked at the time.

So, the question I have is what would you guys and gals do in this situation? You'd be entering your place with someone already there. It's a little different from defending yourself when you're already there. Would you try to clear your house alone or wait for the police?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-11-2010, 09:08 PM   #2

i keep a loaded 9mm on my person or in my car, a flashlight in my glove box. if it were my id announce my intent to call the cops and get them on the phone, inform them of my situation, and go hunting for the scum that dared enter my home while i waited for them to get here.

thats just me, and im not IN THE SITUATION RIGHT NOW, so in all truth that is just speculation of what i think id do.

"You should see the damage, bronze. Huh? metal damage, brain damage. Heheheh. You listen bronze. I am the Nightrider. I'm a fuel injected suicide machine. I am the rocker, I am the roller, I am the out-of-controller! I'm the Nightrider, baby .... .. .
and we ain't never comin' back!"

Old 01-11-2010, 09:31 PM   #3

I have an 870 or a 500 in the truck all the time. If it were me, I would call the cops as my wife made her way to the barn to grab the CAR-15 or Winchester model 12 and cover the other side of the house. We wait for the cops to do their jobs so we dont have to go through the legality of hunting someone down in your home and killing them. If they try to rush us to do harm, well, that is a different story. Then you are defending yourself and the use of deadly force is authorized.

"Who are the militia? Are they not ourselves. Congress have no power to disarm the militia. Their swords, and every other terrible implement of the soldier, are the birth-right of an American...(T)he unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people." (Tench Coxe, Freeman's Journal, 20 Feb 1778)

Old 01-11-2010, 10:02 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5733 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

That's a tough one, especially since most of my guns are in my bedroom, with the ammo.......

I think i would've watched the house from a bit more distance, especially if my XD45 wasn't in the car.

edit* Upon further consideration, i'm not sure i would be comfortable calling the police to search my house.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Last edited by orangello; 01-12-2010 at 01:26 AM.

Old 01-11-2010, 10:44 PM   #5

Liked 39 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Well being my wife and I are the odd balls here (both cops) we would clear the house using the two man concept. However, I would make her take the lead as she is the local po-po and has more authority in this matter than I do (I'm a fed) and besides she is better at report writing than I am and I'm a better shot than she is.

Old 01-11-2010, 11:26 PM   #6

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Think it is the right choice. Reasonable threat argument gets thinner if you go in after him if no loved ones in the casa. Glad it worked out for you.

ANybody says they never heebee jeebeeed off a noise that was nothing is full of it. Good training event for you though.

Old 01-11-2010, 11:48 PM   #7

I guess i would call the police tell them the situation and probly clear the house with the local pd. in route.

Old 01-12-2010, 12:00 AM   #8

Quote:
So, the question I have is what would you guys and gals do in this situation? You'd be entering your place with someone already there. It's a little different from defending yourself when you're already there. Would you try to clear your house alone or wait for the police?
If it were me I would have sent my dobe upstairs. If I heard shots or the sounds of a big dog tearing into a guy then I would have known that there was someone up there that shouldn't have been there.

Then I would have acted as you did. If I didn't hear shots or my dobe tearing into someone I would have investigated further.

"It is not the critic who counts, nor the man who points out how the strong man stumbles or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who knows great enthusiasm, great devotion, and the triumph of achievement, and who, at worst, if he fails at least fails whilst daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those odd and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat. You've never lived until you've almost died. For those who have had to fight for it life has truly a flavour the protected shall never know."

Old 01-12-2010, 12:32 AM   #9

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

In Virginia you'd better not enter and clear the house yourself, as you had the last opportunity to avoid the confrontation. Shoot someone in this circumstance and you will be charged and also liable to the victim....

Old 01-12-2010, 02:00 AM   #10

Liked 58 Times on 35 Posts

I think you did the right thing. I would recommend that you change brands of toilet paper, though, and go with the lighter stuff.