Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > At what distant do shoot at?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2010, 07:36 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default At what distant do shoot at?

Dosent matter if were shooting for the SHTF or just home defense. Do you really practice at distants that you might have to shoot at? For myself I have started bringing my pistol targets in much closer and rifle targets have went much farther out. I paced off the clear far shots in my home and found the max might be 15 yds and thats stretching it. It dosent hurt at all to be able to shoot at 25 plus yards with a pistol but anything much further then that I think maybe we should be looking for a long gun. As for the rifle I took a stroll around the property today and paced things off. It didnt matter if it was from the front door across the road and hayfield to the wood line or from the back of the house to the pond I was looking at a max range of a 150 yds. Most of us I bet can tear the center out of a target off hand at 50 yds. But truthfully how often do you shoot off hand at 150 yds plus standing off hand. When you go into the prone you loose a lot of visibilty to possible targets. Just my 2 cents and am curious to see what other input members have.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-13-2010, 11:54 PM   #2

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I try and shoot pistols at all distances from 25 yards and closer. I don't have to many rifles, but when I use my friends .308, I shoot 50-200 yards.

When I shoot, I try and familiarize myself with both strong and weak hands, with every combination between strong/weak hand, supported/unsupported you can think of.

Speak softly and carry a big stick...just know how to use it.

Old 07-14-2010, 12:23 AM   #3

I guess it depends on the gun. Fpr example if I am training with my 45 which is a 4" barell then I shoot anything from 3 to 15 yds, I believe that anything past that is not much realistic, although might be fun. If I am training with my pocket gun, a sig P238, then I will shoot anywhere from 3 to 7 yds, and again anything past that is not very realistic. I believe in training for the real thing not for show. Although I occasionaly indulge in some fun shooting.

e fluctibus irruit in hostem

Comsubin for ever!!!!

Old 07-14-2010, 06:04 AM   #4
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2657 Times on 1549 Posts
Likes Given: 1178

Handguns - out to 50 yards.
Rifles - out to 300 yards depending on caliber.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 07-14-2010, 10:21 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I shoot most of my handguns under 25 yards. I do have a couple of long barrels that I'm starting to shoot further out.
Most of my rifle shooting is 100 yards and less. I would love to shoot longer distances but finding a place to shoot around here is a challenge without joining a club which costs rediculous amounts of money.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 07-14-2010, 11:13 PM   #6

We have a free range down in NM trap skeet silouhettes the long range that goes like a thousand yards down it's pretty nice set up for free.

Admiral Yamamoto: "You cannot invade mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass."

"I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it."
- Clint Eastwood

"But if someone has a gun and is trying to kill you ... it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun."
- Dalai Lama

Old 07-15-2010, 03:36 AM   #7

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcramer View Post
I try and shoot pistols at all distances from 25 yards and closer. I don't have to many rifles, but when I use my friends .308, I shoot 50-200 yards.

When I shoot, I try and familiarize myself with both strong and weak hands, with every combination between strong/weak hand, supported/unsupported you can think of.
Good for you for practicing with both hands because you never know. The op mentioned 'off hand' shooting which means unsupported. No matter right or left. Just so you know.

Handguns that are not large caliber and long barrel, under 25 yds. Keep in mind that a handgun is meant for defense until you can get to a long gun.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 07-15-2010, 03:54 AM   #8

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts

When we practice w handguns any caliber it is mostly at 15 yards and with the AR or SKS it is 90 yrds with the 06 it is 400 yrds. Alaways a 5" target cause the smaller the target the harder it is to hit and practice makes perfect.

Old 07-22-2010, 03:11 PM   #9

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I shoot my 9mm from about 4 to 75 yards, and my 12g from again about 3-4 yards to about 100 on average. I used to shoot my 10/22 from about 10 to 200 yards, though now it is more 100-200 yards since I obviously have better closer-range weapons.

Old 07-24-2010, 02:58 PM   #10

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

It's good to be able to have control and hit what your aiming regardless of the range. Practical shooting,say for a CWP, 15yds and less perhaps? That can be tough for some shooters. Plus anything beyond,(15) in a self defense circumstance, might be considered by a jury to be out of the danger zone. Ya never know what they'll come up with.