What to carry with me when hunting for survival. - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > What to carry with me when hunting for survival.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2011, 09:50 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Thats goodalright I have my list ready thanks for all your help

Old 12-18-2011, 10:01 PM   #22

Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Your welcome mon ami

God didnt make all men equal colonel sam colt did

Old 12-18-2011, 10:08 PM   #23

Liked 1982 Times on 1090 Posts
Likes Given: 1311

I bought a survival kit in a water bottle from sportsmans warehouse. I threw away almost everything inside. I have two space blankets, 1 tube tent, a small fishing kit, water purification tablets, paracord, matches, a small flashlight that uses one aaa battery, an extra battery, and a couple of protien bars. There is also a pocket knife and a flint in there. I always have a compass. It is not super light. But it would be nice to have in an emergency. I just use a carabiner to attach it to the outside of my pack.

Everytime a group of people sees it someone says, "Hey, I am going to make one of those."

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 12-18-2011, 10:17 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick1967
I bought a survival kit in a water bottle from sportsmans warehouse. I threw away almost everything inside. I have two space blankets, 1 tube tent, a small fishing kit, water purification tablets, paracord, matches, a small flashlight that uses one aaa battery, an extra battery, and a couple of protien bars. There is also a pocket knife and a flint in there. I always have a compass. It is not super light. But it would be nice to have in an emergency. I just use a carabiner to attach it to the outside of my pack.

Everytime a group of people sees it someone says, "Hey, I am going to make one of those."
How big is it would it be hard to carry around for miles and how much did it cost

Old 12-18-2011, 10:24 PM   #25

Liked 1982 Times on 1090 Posts
Likes Given: 1311

It is the size of a large mouth water bottle. It was about $10. But again the contents were worthless. I really counldnt see how crappy the stuff was until I got home. But it probably weighs a pound. Maybe a little more. It is easy to carry. I would just buy a large bottle and put what you want in it.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 12-18-2011, 10:38 PM   #26

Liked 1414 Times on 844 Posts
Likes Given: 146

Billm mentioned wool socks. In packed snow an old pair on the outside of your footgear helps with traction like nothing else. Learned that on a hike into Bagby hotsprings.

NEVER FORGET

Old 12-18-2011, 10:46 PM   #27

Liked 9205 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHunter100
What would you use the salt for
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlinman

Seasoning and preserving meat in warmer but not hot climates

A very small amount in you water bottle well also help you retain water and fight dehydration to an extent. I've done this overseas and while working the pipelines.

Old 12-18-2011, 10:48 PM   #28

Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286

A very small amount in you water bottle well also help you retain water and fight dehydration to an extent. I've done this overseas and while working the pipelines.
Ya i had forgotten that

Old 12-18-2011, 10:54 PM   #29

Liked 9205 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

And yes, a compass is a must have any time you leave "civilization".

Also need to learn how to use it, at the very least, as someone mentioned you need to be able to go in a cardinal to find a road our maybe a river, but it would be best to really learn how to use it with a good map. This way you could hit a pinpoint location.

The military mostly uses GPS, but they still teach old school land nav and triangulation, because batteries die. The earth's magnific field does not.

If water is available, and you can make fire, you have purification covered (for the most part) so long as you have something to boil it in.

Old 12-19-2011, 01:53 AM   #30
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8680 Times on 5019 Posts
Likes Given: 11286

Man oh man! Years ago when I went through the hunter's safety course here in CA they spent 2 hours on this subject. At the end of the two hour focus on getting lost the instructor asked if there were any questions. I asked why hunters were not instructed how not to get lost in the first place. Hunters should be instructed to look at their back-trail frequently if not more often. Know landmarks, both far off and close by. Know your terrain or do not leave somebody who does without clear instructions as to where you will meet up. Don't put your game ahead of your survival. Have a compass. Have radios.

When my boys were 4 years old and older I would walk them out into the woods and then tell them to lead us back home, not giving them any hints. Situational awareness is what it is all about.

Have your radio, GPS and maps but it will be preparation and your sense of situational awareness that will save your arse.