What to carry with me when hunting for survival.
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > What to carry with me when hunting for survival.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2011, 06:38 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default What to carry with me when hunting for survival.

Its happened before your out with a group hunting split up and forget which way you came from. Thats why you must carry some survival supplies but if your out hunting you dont want to carry any extra weight when your walking miles in.... I myself carry my rifle, a lighter, water bottle, and my trusty pocket knife. Any suggestions on what else to add thats light weight. Or what you carry with you when your out.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-18-2011, 07:00 PM   #2

Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Rifle, pocket knife, belt knife. Then in my pack-water bottle, 3 or 4 bic lighters, small processing kit in little binder, small whetstone and steel, usually half a box of bullets for rifle, and smallish custom made hatchet strapped to the side of my pack in a custom leather scabbard.

God didnt make all men equal colonel sam colt did

Last edited by Marlinman; 12-18-2011 at 07:05 PM.

Old 12-18-2011, 07:07 PM   #3

Liked 1414 Times on 844 Posts
Likes Given: 146

Paracord,mylar blanket, whistle,compass, trail mix, topo map, signal mirror. Any of those would make your pack alot more prepared with minimum wieght.

NEVER FORGET

Old 12-18-2011, 07:10 PM   #4

Liked 46 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 246

Quote:
Originally Posted by downsouth View Post
Paracord,mylar blanket, whistle,compass, trail mix, topo map, signal mirror. Any of those would make your pack alot more prepared with minimum wieght.
I agree. Add this and you've got a pretty good survival kit if your hunting party were to get split up/lost

Old 12-18-2011, 07:14 PM   #5

I forgot that i have a poncho liner in my pack also

Old 12-18-2011, 07:28 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8868 Times on 3841 Posts
Likes Given: 1383

Whether hunting, fishing, or just talking a longish walk thru the woods, I have a Swiss Army knife and a small metal box in the pocket. Used to hold bandaids.

Still has a couple of large bandaid pads. Hard candy. Waterproof matches. Dental floss (all purpose suture, sew up rip in pants, snare, fishing line) A few water purification tabs, couple of tabs of Immodium. Whistle/compass. Single edged razor blade. A disposable space blanket is rubber-banded to outside, and whole thing is in a zip lock bag that could double as water carrier.

Weighs about 8 oz.

Make up your own with what makes you feel better. Me, calories, shelter, warmth, rescue.

Of course, you could take a deck of cards. In an emergncy, sit down, deal out a hand of solitaire. In just a minute some busybody will be along to tell you to play the red nine on the black jack. Or just shoot a deer out of season- game warden will be along in 2 minutes.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 12-18-2011, 07:40 PM   #7

Great ideas im Definitely adding some things here

Old 12-18-2011, 07:51 PM   #8

Last time I went hunting we hiked over rocky mountains for miles on the way my friend slipped on a rock and slid down the steep mountain luckily he held on to a rock and got balance. He twisted his ankle bad and could bearly walk I thought we were screwed and were going to spend the night there but other guys we split up with had found us after hours of hiking and shooting 3 rounds of the shotgun...... The part that made that trip suck was that we didnt get a single bird we were there for chucker and quail

Old 12-18-2011, 07:53 PM   #9

Out of helpfulness what are you adding? Most of what i carry has been added little by little as i find the need for it. Once a year i consolidate my pack.

Old 12-18-2011, 07:54 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHunter100
Last time I went hunting we hiked over rocky mountains for miles on the way my friend slipped on a rock and slid down the steep mountain luckily he held on to a rock and got balance. He twisted his ankle bad and could bearly walk I thought we were screwed and were going to spend the night there but other guys we split up with had found us after hours of hiking and shooting 3 rounds of the shotgun...... The part that made that trip suck was that we didnt get a single bird we were there for chucker and quail
Thats why most of the time i usually carry paracord or rope also. My game drag doubles as bindings for splints and such.