Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > What about your dogs when it all goes bad?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2011, 02:38 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default What about your dogs when it all goes bad?

When it comes right down to it, when I hunker down, my four footed crew hunkers down with me. If I bug out, the pack bugs out with me. We're practicing this weekend in fact.

The pack is also going to come in handy if the SHTF. My cattle dog is bar none the best watchdog I've ever had. I can tell who's at the door by the different barks, right down to the mailman she likes opposed to the mailman she doesn't like. It's almost spooky how smart that dog is. The first time I took her camping, she got up once an hour and patrolled the campsite, circling all 8 tents. Looking into the dark, listening, rumbling in her chest a little. It's not something I'd trained her to do. I personally plan on sleeping like a baby thanks to my little red alarm system.

My Dane = brute force. They truly are gentle giants but only until they feel their pack is threatened. It's their Mastiff heritage. I saw my big guy grab a 40 pound coyote across the shoulders and shake it like a rat. No more coyote.

My greyhound can run down any land animal in the western hemisphere. Small game, rabbits and prairie dogs won't require a expending ammunition.

I feed my dogs better than most people feed their kids, but in my basement, in addition to my larder, I've got bulk dog food stored as well. We won't be eating well, but we won't be starving.

Anyone else given thought to their four footed companions if it all comes to a head?

Inventory:
AK-74
M1911-A1
CETME .308 Sporter
Sig SP2022
Ruger 10/22
Hi-Standard Duramatic M-101
H&R 1874 12 Guage
Mosin Nagant M91/30
K-98 Mauser
Ithaca M-66

“It's too easy sometimes to give in to despair, unless, of course, you’re talking about politics, in which case you don't really have any other option.” Mike Littwin

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-02-2011, 02:47 AM   #2

Liked 52 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 59

We rely on our dog as an early warning system, too. She can tell us when there is noise outside that we don't hear and at what part of the yard when she goes to that side of the house. I'm glad to have her and luckily she is just a little thing and doesn't need to eat much. A big bag of dog food lasts at least three months. We try to have at least one bag in reserve. She is a pug/beagle mix. Puggles have the urge to follow their noses like a beagle, but don't have quite the stubborness that beagles I've owned had.

Join the NRA! Stop the Brady madness!

Old 09-02-2011, 02:54 AM   #3

Liked 19 Times on 10 Posts

I think my dog is SOL when the SHTF. Don't get me wrong. She is a great family dog. She just lacks survival skills. 90 lb AKC Golden Retriever. She barks at the neighborhood moms pushing their strollers and occasionally the neighbors cat, but deer have no problems eating the flowers next to the house. Her greatest asset is blocking the door with her sleeping bulk late at night.

Old 09-02-2011, 04:51 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireguy View Post
We rely on our dog as an early warning system, too. She can tell us when there is noise outside that we don't hear and at what part of the yard when she goes to that side of the house. I'm glad to have her and luckily she is just a little thing and doesn't need to eat much. A big bag of dog food lasts at least three months. We try to have at least one bag in reserve. She is a pug/beagle mix. Puggles have the urge to follow their noses like a beagle, but don't have quite the stubborness that beagles I've owned had.
There you go, dogs are some of the best early warning systems around. The barking might make some miscreants go elsewhere before they even get close to your house. I always used to stock up on the dog food, especially before winter hit. I kept several hundred pounds stored just in case. Keep it in a cool and dry area and it will last for quite a while.

Last edited by Ruger44; 09-02-2011 at 04:54 AM.

Old 09-02-2011, 04:57 AM   #5
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6684 Times on 4040 Posts
Likes Given: 7948

My dogs will follow me faithfully. Where ever I go, they would go, too.

Old 09-02-2011, 05:05 AM   #6

Liked 696 Times on 447 Posts
Likes Given: 224

It is hard to imagine how many viscous dog packs will be running loose shortly after SHTF starts. They will be a very serious threat to everyone close to any urban area.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 09-02-2011, 01:19 PM   #7
fmj

Liked 749 Times on 433 Posts
Likes Given: 306

My 100 lb lab is better and smarter than 99% of humans i have ever met. He has built himself a solid reputation here in "da hood". Folk give this little ghetto shack a wide berth. Im not sure it its because dunno of the "crazy gun toting" owner or the big dog. That critter aint going anywhere without me.

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!

Old 09-02-2011, 04:02 PM   #8

Likes Given: 1

I have thought about what would happen with our dogs. I plan on taking my Austrian shepherd with me camping to get her used to getting out more. First time we took her she did very well even with raccoon coming thru the camp. She does bark at noise but once she knows I see the issue she calms down. She is about 30-35 pounds so won't eat much but still gets your attention when running right at you. Being able to jump and look over our 6' fence is pretty scary from the other side

My wife has a 5 pound fuzz ball that barks at everything. Thinking of keep her to use as bait.

Old 09-02-2011, 04:17 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1728 Times on 1247 Posts
Likes Given: 1971

Default Dawg.......

If you leave behind your pet, don't worry.... It will survive or be food for those that can stomach dog in the early months of the war..... Native Americans all ways kept dogs for hard times......Koreans are dog ranchers..... When the Guatemalyns move in to dismantle the sugar refineries here in terrebonne parish the stray dogs disapeared first. Then the ones chained in the peoples yards. Then the cats........Does your BBqu go Meow.......

For ever Vigilant..... One Shot One Kill.........

Old 09-02-2011, 06:50 PM   #10

Default If I had to

If it came to it, I could eat dog, it just wouldn't be one of mine.

Inventory:
AK-74
M1911-A1
CETME .308 Sporter
Sig SP2022
Ruger 10/22
Hi-Standard Duramatic M-101
H&R 1874 12 Guage
Mosin Nagant M91/30
K-98 Mauser
Ithaca M-66

“It's too easy sometimes to give in to despair, unless, of course, you’re talking about politics, in which case you don't really have any other option.” Mike Littwin