Weapon of choice? - Page 11
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Weapon of choice?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2009, 11:53 AM   #101
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 54 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Here is the crux of this situation. If something went down RIGHT NOW, do you possess the weapons, ammo, and supplies you think is the "best choice" for you and your family? If not, you really need to figure out a way to get these items NOW.

You should have already been collecting an array of weapons, ammo, supplies, medicines, and food for sometime now. If you haven't practiced what you've preached, then your opinion is pretty meaningless.

All this chit chat won't prepare you and your family should the SHTF. This potential is very REAL and you had better be ready.

Old 03-18-2009, 04:35 AM   #102

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

You know, if I lived in the lower 48 or Hawaii I would have a Marlin 1894 in .357 magnum. It will kill anything you're likely to need to kill, the rounds don't weigh too much, you can easily carry a companion handgun, and our government of hope and change isn't likely to try to come and get them before it collapses.

Old 03-19-2009, 11:45 AM   #103

If I could only choose one, then I'd have to go with my mossberg 500 12 gauge pump, 8 shot.
I'd have to have time to grab the colt 1991 and clips.
I could probably throw the sks over my shoulder on the way out.....

Old 03-19-2009, 07:45 PM   #104

regarding 2-barrel rifle/shotgun combos, someone pointed out to me the other day that they would be illegal to take anywhere other than a range in MA. That is because if you read thru all the hunting regs, there are no open seasons/places where you can simultaneously hunt with both a rifle and a shotgun. I assume other anti states have the same screwed up regs. So be careful where you go with one.

I personally would hate to buy a long gun that I could not take into the woods and shoot when I wanted to.

Old 03-29-2009, 10:59 PM   #105

Default Shotgun - Hands Down

I have many firearms but my most versatile is my inexpensive, totally reliable Winchester Model 1300 Defender. With 8 rounds in the magazine, I can hail buck shot or slugs on target. I could forage forage rabbit, birds and other small game with bird shot. It will never fail, never misfire, and always put food on the table or take down anything in my path.

If you install a side rack you can also vary your ammunition selection. If you are working in tight quarters with birdshot or buckshot but then have to take a longer shot, open the action and drop in a slug from your side rack. I am confident between 50 and 75 yards of putting lead on target with slugs every time.

Shotguns are the ultimate survival weapon.

Imagine you have selected an M1A. When you aren't facing a two legged adversary, you are more likely to find rabbit or winged dinner selections than large game like deer or elk. Good luck find anything to eat after you've shot a rabbit with a .308.

Old 04-03-2009, 10:32 PM   #106

My 3 base for the ultimate SHTF is my SLR-107 CR with a few extended mags,my Saiga 12 converted,then my S&W 1911 PD .45

An alternate switch SLR for my RRA LAR-15 Entry Tactical,depends on if the situation is Bug in or G.O.O.D...

Old 04-04-2009, 06:05 AM   #107

I've tried to keep things simple as far as ammo and guns go. My go to gun is my Robinson Armament XCR in.223 which uses AR mags. It is set up completely for CQB with an EOtech 552 and a green laser. Accurate out to 200 yds. I keep it loaded with 55 and 60gr. V-max bullets. Have the HB Armalite AR 20" to reach out a little further. M1A reaches out a little further and with A-max bullets it can reach out very accurately. Remy 700 SPS .308Varmint can reach out a little further and just as accurately. Mossberg 590 can handle the short work as can the AK with a full 75 rd drum. There's also the Sig 229. I think I have all the bases covered and my choice would depend on the situation as it presented itself.

Old 04-08-2009, 11:15 PM   #108

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasheat View Post
What weapon would you choose for a survival weapon?
Something big, disassemblable, complicated, and with a long barrel that can be sharpened, used to dig, and break things apart.

Old 04-10-2009, 03:00 AM   #109

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

For outdoor survival, (ie. food acquisition) I would use a scoped .22LR or .22 Mag.. For survival against a threat under 50 yds. I would use my .40 carbine/.40 Beretta, for longer range threats out to 300 yds. any one of my centerfire hunting rifles would be lethal. For extended ranges I would select my RRA .223 NMA4 or DPMS LR308B.

Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Old 04-10-2009, 05:15 AM   #110

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

RL357, glad to see you back. I've been busy my own self, but been missing hearing from you. Not that I agree with you about a .223 for extended range...