Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Survival & Sustenance Living Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f51/)
-   -   Weapon of choice? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f51/weapon-choice-233/)

texasheat 05-04-2007 04:29 PM

Weapon of choice?

What weapon would you choose for a survival weapon?

bkt 05-04-2007 07:46 PM

WASR-10 and similar rifles are really hard to kill. You can submerge them in mud, pick 'em up and fire them. No problem.

But...I went for an AR15. Extremely accurate, also reliable (but not as tolerant of crud as an AK47), simple, light and cheap, lightweight ammo, all kinds of ways to customize it to exactly what I want, etc.

How 'bout you?

GUNGIRL 05-04-2007 09:04 PM

my Romak and M14A

Declaration Day 05-05-2007 12:46 AM

I'd have to pick my M1a.

BrassMonkey 05-05-2007 11:09 PM

My Colt 6520.

rachilders 05-06-2007 04:56 AM

Wow, my first post/reply!

It's a little hard to say because it depends on the particualar survival circumstance, but for a general SHTF situation, I'd probably take my Kel-Tec PLR-16... it's my avatar. It's got the best features of both the AR and AK designs, it's small so it's easily carried and concealed (if necessary) and uses easily available AR-15/M-16 mags and ammo.

Splatter 05-07-2007 01:28 AM

I think the most versatile firearm a person could own would be a good and accurate .22LR bolt rifle. Given a good calm hand and excellent stalking, it will kill any non-carnivore in north america, and would do OK on small bears.

I have personally killed a 2200lb Charolais bull with one shot from a 6" barreled Ruger standard pistol, using target velocity ammo, and dozens of very large pigs, plus smaller steers, horses, goats, etc.
Ammo is the very epitome of light, cheap and easy to carry, it'll be availble for decades even if the factories would stop making it tomorrow.

rachilders 05-07-2007 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Splatter (Post 939)
I think the most versatile firearm a person could own would be a good and accurate .22LR bolt rifle. Given a good calm hand and excellent stalking, it will kill any non-carnivore in north america, and would do OK on small bears.

I have personally killed a 2200lb Charolais bull with one shot from a 6" barreled Ruger standard pistol, using target velocity ammo, and dozens of very large pigs, plus smaller steers, horses, goats, etc.
Ammo is the very epitome of light, cheap and easy to carry, it'll be availble for decades even if the factories would stop making it tomorrow.

A very good point! I have a ROSSI matched pair with .22/12 gauge barrels and can easily hit a soda can, using the iron sights, at 100 yds. Even better is it only cost $100 NIB!

As I said in my previous post, my choice of firearm would depend on the particular "survival" situation (civil breakdown, natural disaster, wilderness survival, etc), but a good .22 rifle is probably the most versatile gun you can carry in the majority of situations. In fact, when I found myself preparing for potential outdoor emergencies in the late 70's thru 90s, my gun of choice was a Savage combo rifle/shotgun. It was a double gun, with the upper barrel in .22LR and the lower barrel (both 16") in 20 gauge. It broke down in seconds and easily fit into a backpack. I owned that gun for years and finally sold it to a co-worker who used it when backpacking. I tried to buy it back a few years later, after Savage quit building the gun, but he refused to sell it and I got the ROSSI instead. Still wish I had that Savage...

RONSERESURPLUS 05-10-2007 11:55 PM

Weapon Of Choice?

Hello all

New member Ron = Seresurplus, what would I carry? Well, thats easy, what I carry and use now? I use an Older (Re-Built) Egyptian Copy of the Russian AK-47 called the Maddi! It's totally ready for most needs, uses Hi Cap magazines and Will take Russian, Chinese as well as others Spare Parts! I have (6) 30's and (2) 20's in the way of Mags for it and I have owned it for about 12 years now! It's been with me through thick and thin and I got it from a Buddy going through a realy bad divorce, he sold it to me on payments as I was not working full time then! I find the 7.62X39 as a good all around caliber and It has Taken a small deer and when a Black Bear came into our Camp, I was Ever so Glad It was there, over my Car-15! LOL Hope to hear from you all soon!

RON

Dgunsmith 05-24-2007 07:02 PM

Choice:

Remington 870 12ga., assortment of birdshot, 4 buck, 000 buck and slugs.

The sound of a single rack will cause anyone but a crack head to flee !

Works on anything with 2 or 4 legs !