Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > We moved to our BOL, now the real work begins

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2012, 05:39 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1173 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Default We moved to our BOL, now the real work begins

We're here, but that's just a start.

I've made the third bedroom a storage room and started unpacking foodstuffs. It's the first time I've ever seen all the food in one place and I now realize that we have to add more. I thought we had a fair amount, but it looks like six to eight months worth if we really stretch. I want us to have a year plus and we really need even more for friends who may show up.

We've also got to buy a new wood stove because the one that was here wasn't "certified" and had to be removed and destroyed. That will come next week or by mid January depending on money on hand. (large unexpected expense)

The previous owners left over a cord of wood, but that won't get us through the Winter. So we'll probably have to buy some for the short run. Come Spring I'll cut some trees and rent a splitter to get a supply in. There's enough dead trees or trees that should be cleared/thinned just around the house to lay in quite a few cords.
There's one of those canvas carports on the back side of the shop that will be perfect for wood storage.

We have three water sources, the main supply is spring fed water with a holding tank, a new well and a large year round creek right outside the door. The well is capped and I want to install either a hand or solar pump. (another large expense) So I feel really good about the water supply. We also have filters, 5 gal water containers and two 55 gallon water drums. Got a Waterbob for the one bathtub too.

The garden area is terraced on a slope and it needs to be enlarged, tilled and amended. There are three patches of lawn, two of which are very good candidates for gardens if necessary. We'll keep them for looks right now, but we can more than double our garden space by converting them.

I haven't touched the shop yet and I am still appraising the security situation. I'll post more as we go along.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Last edited by CA357; 12-04-2012 at 04:42 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-04-2012, 08:36 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 137 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 146

Guess we will not do that shoot for awhile. Sorry we never got together.

http://militarysignatures.com/signat...ember14888.png
Retired LE, M.P., Sr. M.P. Investigator, armorer, F.B.I. Trained Rangemaster/Firearms Instructor , Presently Forensic Document Examiner for D.H.S.
CA357 Likes This 
Old 12-04-2012, 01:55 PM   #3
Camo, you are lucky to see it.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Location: Eatonville,Washington. My nearest neighbors are cows.
Liked 1702 Times on 942 Posts
Likes Given: 5178

That sounds great. Two years later, I still have boxes that aren't unpacked. I should probably just throw them away, but it's not in my nature.

It will take a while to get settled in, then you start the long list of the to-do's It's fun, hard work, and satisfying.

I am very happy for you.

CA357 Likes This