We had a chance to test our preps and learned some lessons - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > We had a chance to test our preps and learned some lessons

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2012, 06:14 PM   #21
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

The wood stove was removed and destroyed. We plan on buying one quite soon. The budget's just been really tight due to all the delays in closing. We went from having enough surplus cash to buy the stove and a few other necessities to being in the hole.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 12-27-2012, 02:12 PM   #22
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2986 Times on 1720 Posts
Likes Given: 1279

Check this out. Use an auto alternator and generate 14.4V from the stream to charge batteries.

http://www.bluemoonstew.com/

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

CA357 Likes This 
Old 12-27-2012, 03:40 PM   #23
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Thanks Dan. So far I'm seeing lots of waterwheels using automotive generators. I may wind up going that way.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 01-01-2013, 03:31 AM   #24

Liked 83 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 146

Might check this site CA357

http://otherpower.com/

Seems to have a lot of good info.

Old 01-01-2013, 03:57 AM   #25
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Great. Thanks guys.

Old 01-01-2013, 03:29 PM   #26
Kai

Liked 12 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Check out this site and his podcasts for interesting info on being prepared. He is an interesting fellow and while I don't believe in or support some of his views I do enjoy his podcasts.

http://www.thesurvivalpodcast.com/

Unfortunately it doesn't sound as though you were "prepared" at all. Not really surprising considering what you went through waiting to move in, etc.

Having portable, potable water stored in the house is always wise for emergencies as well as easy to prepare foods, etc. There won't be a lot of showering going on but it works for a while.
Propane/kerosene heaters have been used in my home area...Southern MA...for a long time. We always had emergency kerosene lanterns in the house and used them frequently in the winter months when storms would take down power lines. But as you have learned, heating with them is only good for one room and generally a small room...plus you still need adequate ventilation.

Living in Norhtern NY we have a large portable generator that will power most of the house. It runs on gasoline and I have an adequate supply not including what is in the cars tanks. We have not had a serious power outage in some time but during the last ice storm...15 years ago?...my area lost power for two weeks in the winter...gets -30 without the wind chill up here at times, brrrr...the generator did a good job providing emergency power for heat, etc. I had our electrician run a line from my garage to the house's circuit board. When the power goes out I shut off the main from the power lines to the house, shut off all non emergency circuits, connect my genny to the emergency line, start her up and power what I need when I need it.

That along with emergency water, food, etc. will get us through a couple of weeks during storm related emergencies, etc.
These are the basics. You can do a lot more and if I lived in the boon docks up here I'd have a lot more too but village life is fairly easy.

Good luck and keep us informed on what you do.

Old 01-01-2013, 03:57 PM   #27
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Yeah. My preps, water etc, weren't prepped.

I have since dug the water barrels and containers out of the shop and am filling and positioning them today. I also have to fill my spare gas cans. I had to empty them because the moving co. wouldn't take them full.

We're going to town tomorrow to do some shopping and I'll plug some holes in our preps.