Waterproof storage
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Waterproof storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2012, 04:25 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 23 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default Waterproof storage

What sort of options are availabel for waterproof storage of bulk goods?

I've been slowly stockpiling foodstuffs and supplies for disaster readiness, and have exhausted the small amoun t of space we have in our kitchen cupboards. We don't have any available closet space as of yet (have to go through and sort what we actually use versus what we're just storing for no reason). My garage isn't a good idea, as it's not attached to the house, and cans and jars would routinely freeze in the winter and reach high temps in the summer.
My last resort is my basement. The problem here is that it's a "wet" basement. Lots of moisture in the air, and should the power go out for an extended period, it actually fills with a foot of water due to the sump pumps not running and the battery backup running out of juice.
If I were to use the basement for storage, is there any waterproof solution I can use to keep cans and jar lids from rusting due to the moist air? I can get the stuff up off the floor easily enough, but am not sure how the moisture would affect them. Storing rice and grains down there is an invitation for mold and spoilage.
Doe anyone use waterproof boxes or trunks?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-13-2012, 04:34 PM   #2

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 461

Get a bunch of those sealer bags and a vacuum sealer. Think they also makes mason jar lids that can be vacuum sealed. Works for long term ammo storage as well if moisture is an issue.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 12-13-2012, 05:10 PM   #3

Liked 1133 Times on 737 Posts
Likes Given: 2021

Why not just build shelves to keep your stuff ff the floor in the basement ? Vacuum seal your stuff it will last longer . 5 gal buckets with gamma seals will fix a wet problem . I have bought plastic totes and started putting goods in them . Lots of ways to get around that leaky or backed up basement and still have usable goods

Old 12-13-2012, 06:12 PM   #4

Liked 23 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehavoc View Post
Why not just build shelves to keep your stuff ff the floor in the basement ? Vacuum seal your stuff it will last longer . 5 gal buckets with gamma seals will fix a wet problem . I have bought plastic totes and started putting goods in them . Lots of ways to get around that leaky or backed up basement and still have usable goods
Oh, I have shelves built to keep things off the floor and out of the "flood plain". I was concenred that the moisture that's always in the air in the basement would cause problems for stored goods if they weren't in a waterproof container.

Vacuum sealing would solve the air moisture problem though. Thanks!

Old 12-13-2012, 06:28 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5733 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

If you know a plumber, maybe he could cap one end of some 8" PVC for you and set the other end up with a gasketed, screw-off cap. That would not attract attention in a basement.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 12-16-2012, 02:42 AM   #6

Liked 1036 Times on 690 Posts
Likes Given: 679

Quote:
If you know a plumber, maybe he could cap one end of some 8" PVC for you and set the other end up with a gasketed, screw-off cap. That would not attract attention in a basement.
You'd pay a plumber $90 an hour to do that? Why not do it yourself? No special tools, just hacksaw, cleaner & glue.

Old 12-16-2012, 07:37 AM   #7

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts

burial, if the water level is not too high in your area. It need not be, and should not be, on land that is in any way "tied" to you. Just ask Weaver and Koresch if they want their stuff all at their "known" residences. :-) Big Bro is a lot more of a likely threat than any other one things. gotta do the burial at night, leave the drums empty for a month, look for digging signs. gotta have a $200 passive IR monocular, to scan for people as you dig, gotta have gravel under and around the drums, to prevent freeze thaw, if in bear country, need a thick, wide "cap" of concrete under the sod-debris covering.

Old 12-16-2012, 02:24 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5733 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr8ter View Post
You'd pay a plumber $90 an hour to do that?
I was thinking more of a plumber that he is friends with helping him out over a 12 pack. It would be important that the storage be well-sealed; somebody who works with PVC and glue on a daily basis might have a bit of an edge there, but we all have our own comfortable levels with workmanship on our emergency/survival storage.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 12-16-2012, 03:25 PM   #9

Liked 1036 Times on 690 Posts
Likes Given: 679

Well, if you knew a plumber, and had beers, sure. But trust me, with just a little care, anyone could make perfect watertight joints in PVC.

Old 12-16-2012, 04:03 PM   #10
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7332 Times on 4411 Posts
Likes Given: 9024

I have one of these.

http://www.foodsaver.com/index.aspx

You can also buy containers with valves on the lid that you can make them vacuum jars.