Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Survival & Sustenance Living Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f51/)
-   -   Water storage containers on concrete... (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f51/water-storage-containers-concrete-36817/)

wldennis 01-12-2011 03:40 AM

Water storage containers on concrete...

Recently, I heard that storing water containers on concrete floors can cause chemicals to leech into your water. I have several Aqua-Tainers that I have stored in my garage for the past few years. I clean and fill them 2-3 times per year. I have never tasted anything odd when I do a taste test. A few weeks ago I got a few pallets to store the containers on just in case. Have you all heard the same thing? What has been your experience?

doctherock 01-12-2011 04:24 AM

A quick search came up with this explanation.

I heard that we're not supposed to store our water on concrete...why not, and how do you suggest storing it?"
According to preparedness lecturer Kenneth Moravec: "Concrete attracts fluids and 'bleeds.' Anything that has been on or in that concrete will find its way into your plastic water barrel. This includes the lime in the concrete, any hazardous materials (i.e. gasoline, oils, kerosene or anything a contractor used in construction), algae, etc. Usually it is not enough to make the water toxic but it will taint the water enough to make the taste unbearable. And no amount of pouring it from container to container will take that taste away."
The best way to store that water is on two by fours making a pallet out of it.

CA357 01-12-2011 04:30 AM

Good to know. Mine are on the floor in the garage. :o

Ubergopher 01-12-2011 04:03 PM

Any food/water you keep (especially SHTF food/water which could conceivably stay there for a long long time) should be stored about 3-6 inches and about the same distance from walls simply to make it harder for rodents and pests to get to it.

Tackleberry1 01-12-2011 05:31 PM

Concrete, like glass, is technically a liquid. Both simply have extremely low viscosity levels when curred.

Unlike glass, concrete will eventually "dry out" but the complete curring process can take anywhere from 50 to 100 years depending on the thickness and the moisture content of the subgrade it's resting on.

This is why gun safe manufactures tell you to place a rubber mat between your safe and your concrete slab if your mounting it on concrete. Go find a buddy with a gun safe that's been on his "bare" garage slab for a few year, empty and tip it on its side and take a look at the bottom. That solid sheet of RUST is the result of the concrete off gassing directly against the steel.

This is why contractor only allow "pressure treated" wood or "galvanized" metals to contact concrete foundations.

Hope that helped.

Tack

wldennis 01-13-2011 04:32 AM

Good stuff guys. Thanks!