Water purification
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Water purification

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2007, 10:02 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Water purification

What do you all keep on hand in case you need to purify water?

I've seen pills, small filter bottles, etc. Not sure what to buy to keep handy.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-07-2007, 01:07 AM   #2

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

depends what you want to use it for. Distilation is absolutely the safest method; but it requires a lot of energy. Regular chlorine clothes bleach works about as well as anything. For filters, a standard reverse osmosis unit that goes under your sink (which normally includes a couple of particulate filters and an activated charcoal filter as well as the RO unit) are very effective.
For 'bug-out/camping use my gf has one of those Katadyn pocket filter units that you have to pump. But for best safety the filtered water still needs to be boiled or chemically treated.

"Those who have long enjoyed privileges as we enjoy, forget, in time, that men have died to win them."

Franklin D. Roosvelt

Old 05-07-2007, 12:08 PM   #3

Katadyn are meant to be good - waiting to get my hands on one at the moment!

Otherwise, if you're on the move and don't have the time for collection methods, I use a droplet style purifier called HADEX. Works well.

Old 05-09-2007, 11:08 AM   #4

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I hope this will be of some assistance....

How to use Clorox Bleach for: Emergency Water Purification
The following is the text from a full page ad by Clorox
Boiling Is Best
Short of using a very high-quality water filter, this is the most reliable method for killing microbes and parasites. Bring water to a rolling boil and keep it simmering for at least several minutes. Add one minute of boiling to the initial 10 minutes for every 1,000 feet above sea level. Cover the pot to shorten boiling time and conserve fuel.

Liquid Clorox Bleach
In an emergency, think of this (one gallon of Regular Clorox Bleach) as 3,800 gallons of drinking water.

When the tap water stops flowing, Regular Clorox Bleach isn't just a laundry-aid, it's a lifesaver. Use it to purify water, and you'll have something to drink.

It's the same in any natural disaster. As the shock wears off and the days wear on, the biggest demand is for drinking water. Time after time, relief crews hand out free Clorox Bleach with simple instructions: use it to kill bacteria in your water and you'll have purified water to drink. Here's how: (Store these directions with your emergency bottle of Clorox Bleach.)

First let water stand until particles settle. Pour the clear water into an uncontaminated container and add Regular Clorox Bleach per the chart.* Mix well. Wait 30 min. Water should have a slight bleach odor. If not, repeat dose. Wait 15 min. Sniff again. Keep an eyedropper taped to your emergency bottle of Clorox Bleach, since purifying small amounts of water requires only a few drops. See chart* suggestions for storage bottle replacement.

Don't pour purified water into contaminated containers. To sanitize water jugs first, see instructions** at right.

Without water and electricity, even everyday tasks are tough. In lieu of steaming hot water, sanitize dishes with a little Clorox Bleach. Just follow the directions below to keep dishes clean.

Whether you use Clorox Bleach in an emergency or for everyday chores, it's always an environmentally sound choice. After its work is done, Clorox Bleach breaks down to little more than salt and water, which is good news anytime.

*Ratio of Clorox Bleach to Water for Purification
  • 2 drops of Regular Clorox Bleach per quart of water
  • 8 drops of Regular Clorox Bleach per gallon of water
  • 1/2 teaspoon Regular Clorox Bleach per five gallons of water
  • If water is cloudy, double the recommended dosages of Clorox Bleach.
  • Only use Regular Clorox Bleach not Fresh Scent or Lemon Fresh.
  • To insure that Clorox Bleach is at its full strength, replace your storage bottle every three months.)
**Clorox Bleach Sanitizing Solution
Mix 1 tablespoon Regular Clorox Bleach with one gallon of water. Always wash and rinse items first, then let each item soak in Clorox Bleach Sanitizing Solution for 2 minutes. Drain and air dry.

"REMEMBER – What works for you may not, necessarily, work for me. Keep an open mind!"

Old 05-10-2007, 08:38 PM   #5

Check out the "Big Berkey" water filtration system. They are by far one of the very best water purification systems available.

The W.H.O. uses them all over the world (in places like Darfur, Rwanda, Nambia and thousands of other locations) where water quality is absolutely horrid. They've been around for more than 150 years and are still the best bet out there.

Guaranteed to remove 99.99% of all contaminants. You can take water that is chocolate-brown and in just a short while you'll end up with clean, pure, and sweet water.

I bought one 2 years ago and use it in my home for everyday water. The filters last forever - only need to have their outside surfaces brushed off after around 900 gallons have been filtered.

Quote:
Unfortunately, securing your access to good-tasting, sparkling, wholesome drinking water can be harder than you might expect. Drinking water may contain chlorine, lead, high levels of harmful bacteria, and other unwanted contaminants such as herbicides and pesticides. Frequently these produce unpleasant tastes and odors. Even bottled water can contain these same contaminants, and moreover it is very expensive.

Most other filtration systems do not remove pathogenic bacteria and many remove the beneficial minerals from the water. Perhaps that's why the British Berkefeld® has long been recognized as the world's ultimate in water filtration. This simple, highly effective system was developed almost 200 years ago... yet it still produces virtually the finest, most healthful drinking water available.

What makes the Berkey® system so revolutionary is that it removes pathogenic bacteria, reduces harmful or unwanted organic chemicals, while leaving in the healthful minerals that your body needs. The Berkey® system is so powerful, it is able to filter untreated raw pond, lake and river water.

Last edited by retro; 05-10-2007 at 08:41 PM.

Old 05-11-2007, 02:48 PM   #6

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Water Pure!

Hello all

Ron Here = Seresurplus, I curently use a set of Sweetwater filters in my Van Kit as well as My Home Kit, Keep sets of Aqua Pure tabs I got from Walmart in work and carry kit! These Pilsl are a lot easier on the stomach than GI pills were and the Filters each have a set of replacement flters, remember, the filter is a good idea, Boiling and Bleach as other have brough up works in bulk?

I see the need to Long term protection of the filter from Clogging, I use Coffie filters wrapped around the intake end of the filter and that reduces the filters intake of large debris as well as Mud and silt! Ya, I'm looking to get a Berkly Filter in the future, but man they cost a bit? I know they are a Long term investment and I know I should consider that more?

I do stock 5 Gallon Bottle of water so if we lose what we have, we do have over 100 gallons to fall back on, sounds like a lot, but it goes fast?

Anyhow, just my thought, I look froward to hearing from you all as well?

RON

Old 05-12-2007, 07:11 PM   #7

I have made up a home filter system consisting of three 5 gallon buckets.

First bucket is filled through a wire strainer and allowed to sit so sediment can settle out. Discharge hose is 1/2" above bottom of bucket.

Second bucket is filled from first bucket through a paper coffee filter. This bucket gets chlorine treatment. Discharge is 1/2" above bottom of bucket.

Third bucket is my pure water. Between the 2nd and 3rd buckets I have a ceramic and a charcoal filter.

This is a very inexpensive way to get quality water.

I found the filters here:

http://www.pwgazette.com/gravity.htm

Old 05-03-2011, 11:22 AM   #8

Default UV rays

If your have a clear plastic baggie, you can fill it with water and set it in the sun for a few hours and the UV rays will kill most everything. And as mentioned before common bleach will do a great job. I think it is 1 teaspoon per gallon water. Distilled water can be done by building a camp fire and boiling it for a few minutes.

I would be more concerned about how to carry and store water.

Old 05-03-2011, 12:29 PM   #9

Liked 136 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilogulf59 View Post
Liquid Clorox Bleach
One gallon of bleach treats a minimum of 3,840 gallons of water.
A 1.35g jug of Family Dollar brand bleach is $2.50.
The math on that is so cheap I don't see how anybody could not keep a couple gallons of bleach in their pantry. Especially given the other uses of bleach.
Just make sure you get the unscented kind.

If you can't take the taste of chlorinated water, keep a couple packs of powdered drink mixes on hand.

Old 05-03-2011, 04:51 PM   #10

I have a question for you guys. It might be silly but here goes. Is there anything you can do to water to purify it after it has been radiated? With everthing that has been going on in Japan I was thinking about this today. I know I could look it up but since I was here and the water purifing was first up I thought I would ask you guys. By the was I have a Kandyn pro hiker I use for backpacking and it works great as long as you keep the filter clean.