Water proof matches? - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Water proof matches?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2011, 03:15 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default You are right..

Only bic lighters are not enough.. I can do the steel wool and batteries and magnifing glass as plan "B" and "C".. And having water proof matches would be a great plan "B", "C", "D". I will be getting weather resistant matches.

Old 04-24-2011, 12:27 PM   #22

Liked 137 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneshot View Post
I have hear you can find paraffin wax at Lowes or Home Depot but I have been unable to locate it. Do you know roughly were to look at?
Look in the canning supplies section of your local grocery store. Most of them sell Gulf Wax brand. Walmart.com says they stock it as well.

Old 04-24-2011, 07:11 PM   #23
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleman View Post
Cotton wool balls soaked in petroleum jelly is one of the best I have used
+1 You don't need or want a lot of Vaseline (petroleum jelly) - just a little is fine. It tends to catch with just a spark, too.

There are a ton of ways to make fire. Fire pistons are outstanding for bug-out bags, but you need some tinder. Potassium permanganate and glycerin is outstanding for getting an extremely hot flame in seconds with no effort.

But as for waterproof matches, they are the very best thing in the world to have if you have no other way of making fire.

I can see strike-anywhere waterproof matches, but waterproof matches stored in a cardboard box with the strike area seems a little goofy. If the matches get wet, they're OK. But if the box they're in gets wet, you can't light the matches....

Last edited by bkt; 04-24-2011 at 07:15 PM.