Water proof matches? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Water proof matches?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2011, 11:42 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 136 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 29

...continued from previous post.

baam!

Old 04-19-2011, 04:36 PM   #12

Just a heads up and I know some of you guys can already do this but it does not matter how many lighters you have or how many waterproof matches youy have you still need the skills to light a fire in the wind and the rain and need to practice those skills regularly. We had a issuse this weekend on our campout about getting the fire going on Sat. evening in the pouring rain with 35 mph winds we got it but it took time. Luckely nobody was suffering from hypo. or we would have had to think of other ways to get it going ie coleman fuel

My opion the wet fire tender and the strike force is one good combo. Of course you want several backup just in case.

Old 04-19-2011, 04:46 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 12 Times on 8 Posts

For absolute, life and death, hyperthermia type situations, I keep a couple of road flares in my jeep. They'll start a fire in pouring rain. There are some safety issues so they are not to be used lightly but if I'm stuck out somewhere and having a fire is going to keep me or my wife out of trouble then I know this is an option. I also carry a lighter, some Tinder-Quik, and a Spark-lite. Because we live in such an isolated area where cell phone service is not available a lot of the time we try to be prepared.

Old 04-19-2011, 08:44 PM   #14

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default It's called OPTIONS!

Hello all, RON L here - SERE SURPLUS

When it comes to Fire making I LIKE to call it OPTIONS!

Magnify Glass
Steel Wool and battery, Zippo Lighter
Bic or other Disposable Lighter
Swedish Firesteel
Strike anywhere matches in a water Proof case

C3 makes a valid Pointl any Item that used flint once wet won't spark till it's dry competly! Try it? I like the Swedish Firesteel as it will strike a 5000 deg Spark dripping water still? LOL I add a Small Container of magnesium chips and I can start a Fire darn near under water? LOL

Try your Kit out, then the gaps in them will be obvious, thats why OPTIONS MATTER!

RON

Old 04-20-2011, 11:06 AM   #15

Hi. Has anyone used "Fatwood" shavings, or better still fatwood dust?.to start a fire. keep some in your grab bag,
This wood contains resin, which burns extremely well.

Jungleman

There is no such thing as a problem,only a solution.

Old 04-20-2011, 11:33 AM   #16

Liked 136 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 29

You can mix sawdust with paraffin wax and mold them into blocks using those tiny muffin paper cup thingies. Makes a helluva fire starter.

But, it's cheaper just to buy a commercial firelog and use a hacksaw and your fingers to form pieces into little blocks that will fit into a 1" x 2" ziploc baggie. You can make 100 out of a single $3 fire log.

Old 04-20-2011, 03:49 PM   #17

Liked 52 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 59

In my bag I have a fire steel, regular stick matches, disposable lighter, 9v battery and fine steel wool.

As tinder I have cotton balls that I have rubbed petroleum jelly into as well as some tissue. I did a test with the cotton balls and found that with the petroleum jelly added they burned for over 4 minutes, that should be plenty of time to get kindling started. I also have a few trioxane bars just in case.

Old 04-20-2011, 04:04 PM   #18

You can mix sawdust with paraffin wax and mold them into blocks using those tiny muffin paper cup thingies. Makes a helluva fire starter.

I have hear you can find paraffin wax at Lowes or Home Depot but I have been unable to locate it. Do you know roughly were to look at?

Old 04-20-2011, 04:46 PM   #19

Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts

Default Roll your own

As a Boy Scout in long ago days I made my own waterproof matches by dipping the match heads and a little farther down the matchstick in melted
parrafin which any hardware store or grocery should have.

They worked...One of the Scout requirements for the 2nd Class Badge as I recall was building a fire with two (2) matches. But I don't tell my age so it was a while back.

NRA Lifer Since 1968
Former USMC
Former Texas NG

Old 04-20-2011, 06:28 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireguy View Post
In my bag I have a fire steel, regular stick matches, disposable lighter, 9v battery and fine steel wool.

As tinder I have cotton balls that I have rubbed petroleum jelly into as well as some tissue. I did a test with the cotton balls and found that with the petroleum jelly added they burned for over 4 minutes, that should be plenty of time to get kindling started. I also have a few trioxane bars just in case.
Cotton wool balls soaked in petroleum jelly is one of the best I have used, Have you tried dried tree fungus?.

Jungleman

There is no such thing as a problem,only a solution.