Water Filtration System
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Water Filtration System

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2010, 05:45 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Default Water Filtration System

I just bought two of these drip filtration systems. They're kind of a poor man's Big Berkey.

Cheaper than Dirt has them for $29.95 plus shipping, but they can't ship them to California because our laws are stupid. So, I did some research and went to the source and they were cheaper. Two kits plus shipping came to $60.

Link: Monolithic Marketplace — Just Water, Ceramic Drip-Filter

The system uses two five gallon food grade buckets & lids and you must drill two holes. I plan to have my monkey do the assembly.

We have a fair amount of food stored and quite a few other items as well. But I figure potable water could mean life or death if SHTF.

Here's a link to the specs on this unit: http://shop.monolithic.com/pages/water-filter

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-09-2010, 08:24 AM   #2

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

True that! you don't have water it's game over. I've been stocking up on garden grown canned goods for a while. I have a sea of mason jars. I like that filter sys. in that link. It seems I watched a video on how to make one using the same buckets, some sand, and charcoal. Of course getting a big supply of the sand and charcoal would be the big thing in that idea. I might look into a couple of these too. Way I see it is if you still have room then you still have stuff to get lined out.

Thanks for the links here and the other thread.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 10-09-2010, 09:07 AM   #3

Default Water; 'key' to life :)

fun research project

Emergency Preparedness and Disaster Relief Water Purification System

Hikelight Accessories - Water Products & Filters

Safari Outback Water Filtration Kit - Military Canteens and covers, Botas, Water Purification kits and devices

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/318,99592_Bota-Outback-Water-Bottle-Purification-System-.html

my favorites

4 Simple Water Purification Techniques | DoItYourself.com

Craig

♥ Exercise daily - walk with the Lord!

Old 10-09-2010, 02:59 PM   #4
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Thanks for the info. I had been saving up for a nicer Berkey system, but it might be smart to look into cheaper alternatives.

You can live for weeks without food. You can only live for a couple days without water. Potable water is probably the single most important thing to consider in a survival situation.

Old 10-26-2010, 10:44 PM   #5

Liked 27 Times on 17 Posts

Default Rule of "Three's"

1. Three minutes without air.

Short term survival.......

2. Three days without water.

In any scenario, from a local weather catastrophe to a major screw-up, the very first thing needed is a steady supply of good water. Not less than a gallon/day/person for consumption, cooking and oral hygenine. You can wash in ditch water.......

3. Three weeks without food.

Curious so many for so long always rank food ahead of water, even in space ship melodramas. >MW

Old 10-27-2010, 03:44 AM   #6

Liked 52 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 59

I bought the same thing from Cheaper than Dirt a couple months ago. I thing I'll order another one for insurance. One is none.

Old 10-27-2010, 04:10 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

BTW, we can't bring Berkey systems into California. We're being protected from ourselves by the leftists.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 11-02-2010, 03:58 AM   #8

I WISH I HAD MORE ROOM, I HAVE THOUSANDS OF ROUNDS FOR EACH CALIBER, AND SEVERAL FIREARMS HAND AND RIFLE. hAVE LOTS OF SURPLUS GEAR TOO BUT NO ROOM TO STORE ANY MORE. fIGURE I"LL HAVE TO HUNT ALONG THE WAY IF SHTF.

Old 11-05-2010, 06:29 PM   #9

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Great Post Ca357, thanks so ever much

Hello all, RON L here - SERE SURPLUS

Thanks ever so much to CA357 for an awesome post, I love berky Products but if these perform in a simular manner and for so much less, WONDERFULL! I have a few water Purifications items now, a Kayadin Filter a water straw in my BOB, but I have wanted to add a Biger More gallon Capacity "Berky type filter" to the bug in preps and this will help a LOT!! Many many thanks!

RON

Old 11-05-2010, 06:58 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

You're welcome Ron. That's exactly why I posted it. I doubt that it's an exact clone of the Big Berkey, but it does most of the same stuff at a fraction of the price.

We can't bring Berkey products into CA (at least not the Big Berkey) We're on a very tight budget and really can't afford one without more sacrifice than we're willing to undertake. This will work for us.