Water filtration system
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Water filtration system

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2014, 12:13 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 361 Times on 185 Posts
Likes Given: 713

Default Water filtration system

I just tried to order a water filtration system that uses 2 five gallon buckets from Cheaper than Dirt.
Guess what? They won't ship it to Calif.
Im hoping Midway will. Anyone know why we are being cut off?

Keep your powder dry boys.
Things are gonna get rough.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-04-2014, 01:40 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8842 Times on 3828 Posts
Likes Given: 1368

Ummmm.... 5 gallon buckets are known to the State of California to cause cancer?

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

People Like This 
Old 07-09-2014, 11:37 PM   #3

Liked 1739 Times on 898 Posts
Likes Given: 1338

Just buy the ceramic filters and the spigots.

http://www.amazon.com/Ceramic-Water-Filter-Filters-Just/dp/B007HV7C2O/ref=pd_sim_k_26?ie=UTF8&refRID=10NY7KA794PXKY8C860 8

You can get activated charcoal at the local Aquariums-R-Us, bleach tablets, knee highs & white socks at the Try'n Save, the free chlorine test strips at Pool Warehouse, and the #2 plastic buckets at the Home Improvement Racket.

Or get ALL of the above from Amazon.

The white buckets look sanitary, but they let sun light through. Light helps things grow. Dark buckets don't. Or you could just keep the whole thing in the dark.

Last edited by Vincine; 07-09-2014 at 11:39 PM.

Old 07-10-2014, 01:19 AM   #4

Liked 414 Times on 258 Posts
Likes Given: 1202

I will not do business with cheaper than dirt because of this,I never know what they will or will not ship to Cali.👎

No Bells.No Whistles.Just perfection.

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 07-10-2014, 01:31 AM   #5
McCool@email.com
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7122 Times on 3897 Posts
Likes Given: 14420

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman1 View Post
I will not do business with cheaper than dirt because of this,I never know what they will or will not ship to Cali.👎
I haven't bought from them since they cashed in on the panic and raised their prices to absurdity.

No offense and none taken
People Like This 
Old 07-10-2014, 02:32 AM   #6

Liked 388 Times on 224 Posts

Have you looked at the Berkefeld water filtration systems? Pricey but I think they are worth the money. Amazon has them for $209.

Old 07-10-2014, 03:24 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 541 Times on 329 Posts
Likes Given: 215

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincine View Post
The white buckets look sanitary, but they let sun light through. Light helps things grow. Dark buckets don't. Or you could just keep the whole thing in the dark.
The reason white buckets are preferred is because SOME white buckets are food grade. Colored buckets are NOT food grade. Thus, a food grade bucket will always be white. But not every white bucket will be a food grade bucket.

It is sorta like saying a square is a rectangle but a rectangle can not be a square.

Practice doesn't make perfect, it make permanent.

When I hear a Liberal say "I can speak for gun owners because I own a shotgun" I just want to scream "Well I can speak for vegetarians because I like lettuce on my cheeseburger!"

Old 07-10-2014, 06:39 AM   #8

Liked 1739 Times on 898 Posts
Likes Given: 1338

What makes a plastic bucket 'Food Grade' is the release agent used to seperate the bucket from the mold. Food grade buckets use a non toxic agent or compressed air to slide the bucket off the mold. It saves the step of having to wash, rinse, and dry the buckets before the mayonasie, pickles, or whatever, gets put in. Food grade also means it was never used to hold a chemical or anything else before. This doesn't matter for buckets being filled with nails instead of frozen strawberries. The reason they're white, besides looking sanitary, is it's easyier to see and scrape out the last of the frosting or other food item it may contain. There is no difference in the plastic itself. All NEW #2 HDPE plastic buckets that were never used to hold anything, are safe for water after they've been cleaned.

Last edited by Vincine; 07-10-2014 at 07:10 AM.
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 07-10-2014, 11:23 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincine View Post
What makes a plastic bucket 'Food Grade' is the release agent used to seperate the bucket from the mold. Food grade buckets use a non toxic agent or compressed air to slide the bucket off the mold. It saves the step of having to wash, rinse, and dry the buckets before the mayonasie, pickles, or whatever, gets put in. Food grade also means it was never used to hold a chemical or anything else before. This doesn't matter for buckets being filled with nails instead of frozen strawberries. The reason they're white, besides looking sanitary, is it's easyier to see and scrape out the last of the frosting or other food item it may contain. There is no difference in the plastic itself. All NEW #2 HDPE plastic buckets that were never used to hold anything, are safe for water after they've been cleaned.
Interesting. I knew about the release agent but I thought I had read somewhere that there was a difference in the plastics. So, what you are saying is if you got a non-food-grade blue bucket from the hardware store, you should just thoroughly wash it to remove any release agent and then it is good to go?

When I hear a Liberal say "I can speak for gun owners because I own a shotgun" I just want to scream "Well I can speak for vegetarians because I like lettuce on my cheeseburger!"

Old 07-10-2014, 11:34 AM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

What I don't understand about water filtration is why they outlawed Polar Pure. It was a small glass jar filled with iodine crystals. One jar could purify thousands of gallons. But then some dang meth-head figured out you could use the iodine in a meth concoction and now there is an all out ban on iodine by the DEA. Special licensing to posses the stuff in concentrations over 2% I think. I have only found the stuff sold in one place online from a Canadian store but you risk seizure of your shipment if you have it sent to the US and customs takes it.