Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Water?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2010, 06:11 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1173 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Default Water?

I just picked up a couple of water filtration systems and it got me to thinking about what I've been doing about water purification and storage.

As of today:

WaterBob for storage WaterBOB®: emergency drinking water storage

Katadyn Basecamp Gravity Filter & storage system Katadyn Base Camp, Camping Accessories, Katadyn at Sportsman's Guide

2 gravity fed 5 gallon filtration systems Monolithic Marketplace — Just Water, Ceramic Drip-Filter

3 five gallon water containers

Several bottles of Potable Aqua water purification tablets

2 USGI canteens w/canteen cups

Some milk jugs

Some non scented liquid bleach

It's not enough, I need to pick up some more water purification tablets and buy some more bleach. (we use the bleach in the laundry to keep it rotated) I also want to pick up another two or three 5 gal water containers as well as a couple of 30+ gallon plastic garbage cans & lids...

We also need a few of those small drinking jug filter things like this: Katadyn My Bottle Micro Filter, Camping Accessories, Katadyn at Sportsman's Guide

Okay, that's what I've done so far and plan on doing. We currently live in a city and are on public utilities. Obviously if we ever get to the country, things will change since we'll likely be dealing with a well. Maybe we'll be lucky and have a year round stream as well, so things will change and we'll adjust accordingly.

What have you done and what remains to do in your water storage/purification preps? I'd love to listen and learn.

Thanks, CA357

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-09-2010, 08:08 AM   #2

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

I'm pretty lucky where I live. There are several springs all within a very short distance. So for the most part it's gettng containers for storage if I needed to pile it up here in the house. I would like to get a filtration system though because it could make things much easier on me. The springs all feed a creek that runs behind the house. A generator and my trusty pump and I can run it into the house. But I'd want to filter it after it's been moving around in the creek. You get ti right where it comes out of the spring it will test cleaner than water (spring or distilled) you buy at the store. Between the water, the ton of wild game, and the ponds we've stocked over the last several years.There's not much reason to leave the "holler"

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 10-09-2010, 12:42 PM   #3

Liked 47 Times on 28 Posts

You're WAY ahead of me. Right now I have 23 bottles of Ozarka in the fridge in the garage!

Old 10-09-2010, 01:01 PM   #4

Liked 133 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
We currently live in a city.
Head to your local hardware store and pick up a 4-way sillcock key.

Old 10-09-2010, 04:20 PM   #5

Liked 268 Times on 180 Posts
Likes Given: 24

I've been using one of these for awhile now for backpacking. It works good for me.

MSR MiniWorks EX Water Filter at REI.com

A Nagaline bottle threads to the bottom of unit making the filteration operation more hands free.

Name:  177.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  91.7 KB

I also use one of these to collect the water before filtering. Using this and letting set for awhile lets a good deal of sediment to settle out before filtering. Also, I can sit in a comfortable place to do my water filtering.

http://www.rei.com/product/782973

Last edited by mrm14; 10-09-2010 at 04:29 PM.

Old 10-09-2010, 04:59 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seven View Post
Head to your local hardware store and pick up a 4-way sillcock key.

That's on my list since someone mentioned it the other day in one of the threads. Was that you? It's one heck of a great idea.

MRM14, thanks for the collapsible bucket idea. I was wondering about those.

BTW, we also have around 100 liter bottles of water stacked in the garage. I need to pick up some more.

One of the greatest dangers here is the possibility of a flood. We're protected by a rather old levee system. So, we could be surrounded by water and have nothing to drink. Katrina taught me some lessons, that's why I'm so focused on water.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 10-09-2010, 06:24 PM   #7

Liked 30 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I made beer with all my water.

People get the government they deserve.

Old 10-09-2010, 07:02 PM   #8
Deader Bears=Better Bears
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5635 Times on 3313 Posts
Likes Given: 4718

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
That's on my list since someone mentioned it the other day in one of the threads. Was that you? It's one heck of a great idea.
Link or basics?

Don't forget the UV light for killing the critters without the ability to tan. I wonder if the traditional hippy-type black lights would do that job?

Dead Bears, the only good kind.
GANDER MOUNTAIN OF HATTIESBURG, MS IS OVERPRICED, HAS LOUSY CUSTOMER SERVICE, & SELLS BEAT UP PISTOLS TO LITTLE OLD LADIES AS "NEW". :p

Last edited by orangello; 10-09-2010 at 07:04 PM.

Old 10-09-2010, 09:36 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I guess that would be a Steri-Pen. Water Purifier Portable Water Purification System - SteriPEN

Old 02-21-2011, 02:26 AM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Bump for the new folks.

Since my last post, I've added some new Potable Aqua tablets since shelf life is limited and two Aquamira pen type filters.