Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > walking to Illinois from Ohio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2010, 05:42 PM   #21
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5249 Times on 2738 Posts
Likes Given: 331

Quote:
Originally Posted by LUBrowningBoy View Post
(They're wool, they should keep me warm even when wet. Besides, I only have two pair. I guess I could take some normal socks too.)

It doesn't matter if they keep you warm...if they are wet and you keep them on your feet while the boots rub your feet...you will get raw, wrinkly skin and possibly open sores...moisture does that
wet feet in wet footwear over a period of time = trench foot. trench foot will turn gangrene in short order and kill you. after a bit you wont even feel it happening

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 12-28-2010, 06:44 PM   #22

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I agree with what C3 is saying, you may want to have spots that you KNOW you can camp lined up. Maybe KOA campgrounds or rest areas or something. I wouldnt depend on asking people if you can sleep in their front yards.

It's like paradise on Earth, enriched with the ever so sweet nectar of
elk urine.

When you're out there by yourself, you become who you really are.

Old 12-28-2010, 09:58 PM   #23

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter Joe View Post
I just want to know one thing. Why in the world would anyone want to go to Illinois?
Amen. I just moved from IL to MO.

Old 12-28-2010, 10:35 PM   #24

Liked 188 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 303

Yea.. trenchfoot is what i was getting at....

and i have to drive through pennsylvania, ohio, illinois, and indiana in order to get to my college in missouri....i dont like illinois lol

Old 12-29-2010, 12:52 PM   #25

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

For me your not taking enough food. MRE's would be better for you to take.

Socks you can never have enough socks. Oh there is a reason that the military issues 2 pairs of boots. That reason is not to make life hell for new recruits either.

While in the military and not walking a whole lot as I was always driving someone around. I still changed my socks 2 to 4 times a day.

So think about 4 pairs of good high quality socks like smartwool per day would be enough never ever skimp on socks.

Ditch the blue jeans they are cotton and they will soak up any moister you may come into contact with. http://www.rei.com/category/40005464

Also I didn't see a good quality set of trekking poles. http://www.rei.com/category/4500049

At an aprox 3 mph for 6 hours a day that is only 18 miles a day it is going to take you 24 to 25 days if everything goes exactly as planned. Don't you have a car?

Last edited by cpttango30; 12-29-2010 at 01:02 PM.

Old 12-29-2010, 01:56 PM   #26
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6743 Times on 4074 Posts
Likes Given: 8041

Trekking poles is a great idea. I have a pair of Leki's that I use for exercise walking and some hiking.

Old 12-29-2010, 04:54 PM   #27

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I was planning on wearing microfiber long johns under the jeans but you all are right. I swapped the jeans out for a pair of northface pants insulated with goose down. The shell is made out of 100% polyester.
I also picked up 4 more pairs of wool socks and a northface jacket. It's water proof, wind resistant but not insulated.
I need a better base for the top part. I have a polyester jacket by starter that I can wear under the northface jacket, but I need something that will be on my skin. I'm thinking maybe a top part of the microfiber long johns, but I will need to buy that. Everything else was just laying around in a clothing pile.

So I need suggestions for a better base.
Oh, and I have a pair of hiking shoes, not boots, that I will also be taking. I will use them in non snowy conditions.

"This is my rifle, this is my gun." "This is for fighting, this is for fun." -Full Metal Jacket

"I joined the Navy to drink in foreign countries and fornicate." -unknown

Old 12-29-2010, 10:35 PM   #28

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

My only question is why? I can see going to Florida for sunshine and warmth - but Illinois?

I'm also surprised nobody has mentioned the inherent danger of such a trek. You're a youngster, unarmed, alone, and this world is full of bad folks and some are even predators. It's nice to look at the world through rose colored glasses; however, that's not the world we live in. Personally, I don't think this trek is wise at this point in your life - especially in the winter...

Last edited by NGIB; 12-29-2010 at 10:47 PM.

Old 12-29-2010, 10:45 PM   #29

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
My only question is why? I can see going to Florida for sunshine and warmth - but Illinois?
What...you never had Chicago Style pizza and Old Style beer?

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 12-29-2010, 11:03 PM   #30

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Well, he seemed to ignore the advice that C3 and I gave him about planning his route so he can find campgrounds or certain places he can camp rather than wandering through neighborhoods and knocking on doors in order to minimalize attention from the po-po. Not sure if he is listening anyway. But, very solid advice about not heading north during the winter. Portsmouth, Ohio is as south as one can get in Ohio, so just leaving town and staying on this side of the river is heading north and into flatlands...I am getting cold just thinking about the wind chill.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!